California Air Tools model 1610A Ultra Quiet & Oil Free Air Compressor

Review by MrRon posted 206 days ago 2817 views 1 time favorited 17 comments Add to Favorites Watch
California Air Tools model 1610A Ultra Quiet & Oil Free Air Compressor No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I just received the long awaited air compressor I bought off Amazon. It arrived in perfect condition by UPS as I was eating dinner. After reading the manual, I plugged it in and flipped the ON switch. I couldn’t believe how quiet this compressor was. Four rubber feet kept it anchored to the floor with no vibration. It uses a two cylinder pump driven off an induction motor. It is oil free and has an aluminum tank. At 35 pounds, even a 79 year old can lug this around without much effort. It was too late to hook up a nail gun, so I may be able to do so tomorrow, or when the weather warms up. I use mostly pin and brad nailers and I’m confident it will handle a finish and even a framing nailer for small jobs. I’m really pleased so far and I give it 5 stars. If in the future, it doesn’t live up to my expectations, I will amend this review. For now, nothing keeps me from recommending this compressor to anyone who needs a quiet compressor. One slight comment I have is the position of the tank pressure gauge. It is hard to read unless you are at eye level. That is almost a non-issue as one usually doesn’t need to know tank pressure. Regulator pressure is clearly visible and that’s all I need to know. One could add an elbow fitting to the gauge if desired.If the pressure is low, it will turn on by itself. The most noise this compressor made was when I pulled the pressure relief safety valve to release pressure.

View jeff's profile

jeff

634 posts in 2067 days

Nice review MrRon…My Ridgid mini mobile is loud-I’m jealous…Enjoy…

-- Jeff,Tucson,Az.

Great purchase

-- Norman

View dustyal's profile

dustyal

1195 posts in 2077 days

Thanks. I need to look into this. Something I’ve been wanting.

-- Al H. - small shop, small projects...

View abie's profile

abie

Great: Where are they made? Perhaps Mexico?

-- Bruce. a mind is like a book it is only useful when open.

MrRon

I looked all over the compressor, but didn’t find any where it is made info. The unit is very well made though. At the price of $175, it has to be made in China.

View CharlesA's profile

CharlesA

Amazon says China

nerdkraft

Just curious if you’ve tried using it yet. I’m thinking of getting one myself to use for pin nailing glue joints. How is it working?

MrRon

nerdkraft; The temperature down here in the south is below freezing, so I won’t get to the shop until it warms up a bit. I loaned it to my son who is doing some remodeling in his house, so he will be the first to comment on it. He will be using a framing nailer. I’m as curious as you are.

View WhoMe's profile

WhoMe

Wow, an oil less compressor that is quiet, that is unique. My small oil compromise is pretty quiet but my 22 gal oil less
Is so noisy, I need to leave my garage when it runs. If I didn’t need that large one, I would be selling it asap.. My next large compressor will not be oil less due to noise.
Glad to hear there are some oil less ones out there that are quiet.

-- I'm not clumsy.. It's just the floor hates me, the tables and chairs are bullies and the wall gets in the way.. - Mike -

nerdkraft

Ron – Talk about an awesome test! My level of usage is going to be 10 nails per day or so :)
Excited to hear the results from your son!

Stay warm!
-Dima

View CWind's profile

CWind

Thanks for the review. I’ve been struggling between this one and the small Makita. The Makita is quiet, but heavy and about $100 more.

-Chris

View jonah's profile

jonah

440 posts in 1900 days

Can anyone speak to exactly what kind of maintenance one is supposed to do on a modern oil-less compressor? I’ve been toying with the idea of springing for this exact compressor but I hate tools that I have to futz around with all the time doing maintenance. I don’t mind cleaning, waxing, and sharpening things here and there, but have absolutely no desire to mess about with a compressor other than to just use it.

nerdkraft

My understanding was that oil-less used self lubricating plastic parts (like Delrin) instead of metal so no extra maintenance. The downside is that they will only last 3,000 hours or so. That’s no biggie for me since at 2-4 hours per week, that’s 10+ years. Not so much for a contractor using it 40 hours per week (1-2 years.)

Btw – the manual for the tool is on http://www.californiaairtools.com/ultra-quiet-oil-free-air-compressors/cat-1610a/

MrRon

I just checked on the Rol Air JC-10 air compressor which sells for about $55 more than the California Air Tools and they are identical except for a steel tank and a different tubular frame. The Rol Air is regarded as the best of the ultra quiets and that was what I originally was going to get, but I settled on this one because of the aluminum tank and lower price. The only maintenance listed is to drain the tank after use and change the air filter after a while.

MrRon

I just got this report from my son who is using this compressor with a framing nailer. He got 6 shots before the compressor cycled, but that only took 10 seconds. He is so happy with my compressor that he doesn’t want to give it back. Obviously this air compressor is not intended for production framing, but for the occasional small job, quite adequate for the job. It’s still too cold for me to go to the shop and use it with pin and brad nailers.