I like I-Box

Review by Kerry Drake posted 01-03-2014 06:46 PM 2962 views 0 times favorited 15 comments Add to Favorites Watch
I like I-Box I like I-Box I like I-Box Click the pictures to enlarge them

Got the I-Box for Christmas and finished setting it up yesterday. The pictures show my very first test pieces using a 3/8 inch dado stack. Once you understand what’s going on with the jig, it is very easy to use and it gave me near perfect results on my very first test.

Set up takes about 15 minutes out of the box, but it comes with a very good set of instructions and a DVD showing the entire process from beginning to end.

For me, now, the hardest part about making really good box joints is getting the glue spread on all those little fingers before it starts to tack up… ;-)

-- Kerry Drake, Loudon NH, http://thenickedfinger.wordpress.com/

View Kerry Drake's profile

Kerry Drake

View woodsmithshop's profile

woodsmithshop

#1 posted 01-03-2014 08:43 PM

I got mine last year and I really like it!!!

-- Smitty!!!

View blackcherry's profile

blackcherry

#2 posted 01-03-2014 09:33 PM

yea mine still under the tree , nice work and thanks for the review…BC

View Tedstor's profile

Tedstor

#3 posted 01-04-2014 01:36 AM

I got one for xmas too. Can’t wait to try it out.

#4 posted 01-04-2014 01:47 AM

Dang, I think I’m the only LJ who doesn’t have one of those! Maybe someday when I win the lottery (or sell some boxes).

View lepelerin's profile

lepelerin

#5 posted 01-04-2014 02:45 AM

@gfadvm, I do not have one either. I use a homemade jig and every time the result is perfect. I am sure it takes more time to fine tune my jig than this one, but when you do not have the niece piece of equipment or the money to get it, you find an alternative if you want to achieve your objective.

@Kerry Drake, I use liquid hide glue ( http://www.oldbrownglue.com/ ) . Very practical for this kind of assembly, open time is approx 30 minutes. Lee Valley has a relatively long open time glue (15-20 min) ( http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=45104&cat=1,110,42965,45104 ). I personally never used it yet but heard really good things about it.

BTW, really nice jig, I am sure you will enjoy it.

#6 posted 01-04-2014 02:53 AM

lepelerin, I too get perfect box joints with my shop made jigs but the lack of set up (after the initial one) is very tempting. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a bad review on one of these. And I’ve never seen a used one for sale!

View RibsBrisket4me's profile

RibsBrisket4me

#7 posted 01-04-2014 02:54 AM

I got one for Christmas also. Can’t wait to try its out!

View khamm's profile

khamm

#8 posted 01-05-2014 02:01 PM

I have one of these too. Love it.

Keith H

-- Keith H. I don't need more gadgets; I need more skills

View Gene Howe's profile (online now)

Gene Howe

#9 posted 01-05-2014 02:07 PM

Mine was a B-day present last april. The only thing I’ve made with it was dentil molding. But, it made great dentil molding!
I may spring for the hinge set up. Looks like fun.

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

#10 posted 01-05-2014 05:35 PM

I have bought one for my shop but haven’t even opened it yet. I glad you like it. I’m looking forward to trying mine out.

helluvawreck aka Charles

#11 posted 01-05-2014 07:20 PM

That’s it guys, just keep rubbing it in!

Just remember that us poor folks have poor ways!

View Sandra's profile

Sandra

#12 posted 01-06-2014 02:23 AM

Kerry,

Great gift! I love my iBox as well. No regrets at all. Wouldn’t part with it. Enjoy.

-- No, I don't want to buy the pink hammer.

View Gene Howe's profile (online now)

Gene Howe

#13 posted 01-06-2014 03:46 PM

Hey Andy, I’ll trade you my IBox for your mill. I’ll even deliver and pick up the mill.

#14 posted 01-07-2014 01:16 AM

Nice try Gene! but I’ll pass!

Bring your truck/trailer and we’ll cut up all you bring.

View chazmclean's profile

chazmclean

#15 posted 01-14-2014 05:54 PM

Anybody know if the I-box can cut 1.5” deep? I have a project that I need to make some box joints in 2x material….

-- Charlie