Incra Miter 5000 is very nice!

Review by Justin8152000 posted 211 days ago 2577 views 0 times favorited 22 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Incra Miter 5000 is very nice! Incra Miter 5000 is very nice! No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have made a couple sleds and setups like this but I had heard so much good feedback on Incra and their stuff I took the plunge and got lots of stuff and this is one of the things I bought….. I have a Ridgid sliding compound saw and at times I just dont trust it. I bought this with the intentions of using the compound saw less and having a well made sled to replace my homemade one.

First impression: Crap another Incra erector set and I wish it would of been phenolic instead of laminate particle board. The Miter itself is very nice. It has adjustment all the way down to 1/2 degree. I actually ended up having to set mine up at 1/2 in order to make my cuts 100% accurate.

Assembly: 20 mins max. It was fairly easy even though it looks like a ton to assemble it still went together very well. They really do have decent instructions and this was a lot easier then their LS TS fence.

Why I like it: The fence is long and extendable so that lets me make very accurate cuts on longer pieces. It even has a brace that attaches to itself back on the base that supports the fence when making cuts on longer pieces of wood.
It has Incras self aligning teeth which are always great and the adjustable stop lets me make accurate repeatable cuts every time. The little hold down clamp is not anything too fancy but works very nice and glad it came with one. I never would of bought one but now I want more of them for other fixtures.

Over all value: At $300 (I found it new for $250) you can buy lots of different things but this really is pretty nice. Sometimes I feel like I spend more time making jigs and fixtures for a project that I want to make then actually making the project. So far I have used it more like a sled then as a miter setup. Since the fence extends so far I can put a nice size board on it and cut it with ease. This let me toss some of my homemade jigs like my sled that was full with screw holes. I am sure I will use this for a very long time.

JustJoe

Thanks for the review. I’ve just got a few questions, nothing much, pretty simple actually.
What is it, what does it do, and are you really happy with it or not?
You see, your first impression was something about an erector set (but the next paragraph you say it’s easy to assemble) and that it is cheap laminate particle board and not high-end phenolic. But that can’t be a complaint because you’re giving it five stars right?

Then that last paragraph. So you’re saying you think it’s worth the $300 you paid for it, and it let you throw away some of your jigs and fixtures. What jigs? What fixtures? What does this $300 thing do that they couldn’t? (I’ll call it a thing because I’m not even sure what it is. The name implies miter gauge, but you mentioned sled in the first line and then the jig/fixture thing at the end. Is it some transforming miter gauge/sled/tenoning jig doodad?
Is it bionic? Does it have lasers? That would be so cool. A bionic miter doodad with lasers. I’d spend $300 for one of those….

-- This Ad Space For Sale! Your Ad Here! Reach a targeted audience! Affordable Rates, easy financing! Contact an ad represenative today at JustJoe's Advertising Consortium.

Justin8152000

I guess I am not the best about describing something. I was trying to do something quick. It does not have lasers but it does cause a argument when the Wife sees the bank statement which cause her to have lasers come out of her eyes.

View michelletwo's profile

michelletwo

I’ve used this Incra for years. It has worked super for me, despite it has no lasers :-)

-- We call the destruction of replaceable human made items vandalism, while the destruction of irreplaceable natural resources is called development.

So what does it do?

View Garry's profile

Garry

JustJoe,

Justin gave you his overall impression but why expect him to feed you all the details? A quick internet serach will give you all the details you want. It seems pretty clear to me.

JM$.02

-- Garry, North Carolina woodworker and engineer - The journey you're preparing for has already begun.

JustJoe

Thanks for the .02 Garry, but I don’t collect pennies.
I could look on the internet to try and figure out what this thing is and what it does, but it seems like a review would at least hit the high points.

That’s my nickle for you…

View Bluepine38's profile

Bluepine38

Joe, I think it is an Incra 5000-model number or dollar signature?- worth $300 that he paid $250 for that
his wife is going to use as an excuse for a new fur coat to let him get out of the dog house.

-- As ever, Gus-the 75 yr young apprentice carpenter

JustJoe

Justin – thanks for the additional info. Now at least I understand what the tool is.
I know it might seem obvious to some people, but it’s not like it says “tablesaw” or “lathe.” It says “miter” and that’s not a tool, it’s a type of cut and could be made so many different ways with different tools.

So this is a miter gauge, with a big sliding fence that can be extended to make it double as a sled (but if I’m undertanding correctly – it’s even better because most home-made crosscut sleds can’t be tilted to a different angle if needed.)
That sounds like a winner. Thanks for the review.

Joe, I am with you, this review is more confusing than helping.
Like you I am not sure what this device does and I do not expect to have to Google to find out what it does, the review should have informed me.
May be good tool but, in my opinion, a very poorly written review.

View Garry's profile

Garry

I should probably let this go but… Geez, guys. There was a lot of good valuable information in his review. Give the guy a break. What do you want for free?

If it doesn’t meet your editorial standards, hire him to write reviews. Then you can start complaining about the quality.

Garry, you are correct and I apologize to Justin

JustJoe

Garry what you read was not what was originally written. The review was edited and expanded.

View RockyTopScott's profile

RockyTopScott

1125 posts in 2083 days

Joe is low on meds. He will even out soon, perhaps.

I have one of these and like it alot. That is my review.

Mine is red and gold, too. Imagine that.

-- “When you want to help people, you tell them the truth. When you want to help yourself, you tell them what they want to hear.” ― Thomas Sowell

View lepelerin's profile

lepelerin

Thank you for your review. Not the most specific but at least give a point of view.
For people that did not like the the review from the beginning, nothing forced you to read it completely.
Give this guy a break, writing a review is not given to anybody. Some people are good, some are less talented at least he tried.

Justin8152000

I feel like I posted this on the wrong forum. I thought we were all wood workers and any of us should be able to look at the item and pretty much figure out what it is for. I didn’t need a review when I made my purchase. I just looked at the picture and thought it looked useful and with a brand like Incra it was a easy decision. I understand their might be some different applications that someone may wonder if it would work for their set up and I would be more than happy to help them with that but its a sled with a miter gauge. I am so glad I didn’t review my other Xmas items yet. From now on I will leave the reviews for the educated folk to write up. I’ll go back to my corner and eat more delicious glue.