procom ventless garage heater

Review by Nowa posted 208 days ago 2247 views 2 times favorited 21 comments Add to Favorites Watch
procom ventless garage heater No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

It is 10 below zero here in Minneapolis. With this little procom ventless heater, it is 72 degrees in my garage.

I am extremely pleased with the purchase. It mounts to the wall with 2 screws and takes a natural gas line that our hvac technician was able to run up from the basement and hook up in 35 minutes. Since there is no external vent, I did not have to run a stack out through the roof.

The results speak for themselves. The unit was $135. The labor and parts for the gas line hookup were $100.

I have no idea why I did not install one of these years ago.

View Nowa's profile

Nowa

patcollins

Ventless isn’t truely ventless, it vents out into the room. Do yourself a favor and buy a carbon monoxide detector for the garage.

Great cheap way to heat the garage though, you cant beat natural gas for cost.

View crank49's profile

crank49

I use one of those in my basement shop.
As mentioned already, beware of carbon monoxide.

And, also be aware that ventless gas heaters dump a lot of moisture into the air.

-- Michael :-{| “If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed.” ― A H

View YanktonSD's profile

YanktonSD

Do you have to worry about moisture? I worry about the ventless units like this pumping moisture into my shop. Do you use a dehumidifier?

View Nowa's profile

Nowa

thanks Guys. Safety first. Will install a CO detector and slightly open the window for extra safety.

I will have to keep an eye on the humidity to protect my tools against rust. For the time being, the water condenses on the colder external wall and is not much of a concern unless I run the unit for an extended period of time.

View Hybridwoodworker's profile

Hybridwoodworker

I have been running a ventless propane heater for about 15 years now. Humidity is not a problem. I live in NC and in the summer with the AC on, the humidity is 60 to 70 %. In the winter the shop humidity is 48 to 50%. I keep the shop at a minimum of 50 degrees so that there isn’t any condensation on the tools when I warm it up. Yes there is water vapor but it is not like it rains in the shop.

BRuce

-- Life is hard, it is harder if you are stupid.

View Gene Howe's profile

Gene Howe

5415 posts in 2031 days

There are upsides to living in the desert. The lack of humidity being one.
I’ve used a procomm in my shop for several years with no problems.
We also use one in an addition we built 12 years ago.
We keep a door window cracked in the addition and have CO detector/alarms in the addition and all 4 bedrooms.
There are no alarms in the shop but a window is cracked. Plus, the DC is vented directly outside and that probably helps.

You need to have some fresh air coming in if not soon you will run out of oxygen to breath

I now someone who uses this heater and they are very satisfied with it. They have a smaller one I was thinking of for my shop that you can hook to a 20 pound LP tank

-- Norman

View RobertT's profile

RobertT

Use some polyurethane while it is running and let me know if you would still give it 5 stars. Mine makes toxic fumes from an open can of poly or any sort of thinner.

View tomd's profile

tomd

I have been using one for 10 years with no problem. Also they come with a oxygen sensor so if oxygen runs low it shuts off. I run mine for long periods of time and have had no humidity problems, I do not do any finishing in the shop when using it because your in an enclosed room.

-- Tom D

Our ancient house has never had a furnace and retrofitting one would be a nightmare. So we heat the entire house with unvented gas heaters. We prefer the kind with ceramic plaques because they glow red and produce much infrared heating. We run four of them during the coldest winter months here in NW PA and have been doing so for decades.
Any ordinary building has sufficient cross ventilation to provide fresh air. none of our CO and smoke detectors have ever gone off and the heaters themselves have O2 sensors which can shut down the heater if oxygen levels drop. That has never happened here.
I don’t use them in my workshop because it is too drafty and attempting to heat it would be far too inefficient.

d

-- Will trade wife's yarn for tools.

Wow a house with no furnace in NW PA

View Craftsman on the lake's profile

Craftsman on the lake

2368 posts in 2040 days

I did a review on this heater in my shop about 5 yrs. ago. I can whole heartedly vouch for it to this day. Each year I had to use a can of spray air to clean out the pilot. I recommend wrapping the pilot/igniter in tape or plastic after the winter season is over to avoid having to blow it out.

This heater is heating my 25×25 shop in Maine to this day. -5 degree’s today btw so we do get some cold weather up here. I’ve not replaced any parts, just cleaned it. Walls and floor are insulated

Even after the squirrels removed all the insulation from between the joists in the attic it still keeps on heating well. Since I only turn it on during shop use and heat for about 20 minutes beforehand to get it up to speed, I haven’t had any issues with co2 buildup. The monitor reads zero ppm all the time. Moisture… none. No rust on the tools and no moisture noticed anywhere. Winter is rather dry anyway isn’t it?

On a day like today, I’m in my shirtsleeves after about 30-45 min of lighting it and pleasant with a sweatshirt after the initial 20 minutes of warming it up.

I used to have a dedicated 100 lb. bottle that was filled by truck but later just take my two 20 lb. BBQ bottles and trade them in at walmart about 4 times a year if I’m in the shop a lot. That way I always have one with gas in it.

Very pleased with this unit…. Just another thumbs up vote.

patcollins

The moisture comes from the chemical reaction of combustion.

Ideally natural gas and oxygen turn to Carbon Dioxide and Water when burnt, but there are other things in the air and in natural gas and the combustion isn’t 100%.

I forgot to mention that.
If there are things in the air near an unvented heater, such as paint thinner or anything with solvents in it, the chemical will be processed in the heater and produce some very offensive (and dangerous?) odors.

d

-- Will trade wife's yarn for tools.