More Freud Junk

Review by mcase posted 01-01-2014 11:05 PM 2482 views 0 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
More Freud Junk More Freud Junk No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Don’t Confuse this with the previous posting on Freud Junk. This a different Lumberjock with his own Freud Junk story. It was funny logging on to find another member just posted about this. I guess I’m not alone in my recent sad experience with Freud. Let me start by saying that I own dozens of Freud router bits and several of their door making sets. I have used Freud products for years and have been completely satisfied with all the Freud products I have ever owned until now. I should also perhaps point out that I have been a carpenter and cabinet maker for years and downloaded the directions for this system and studied it thoroughly. The “New Premier Adjustable Rail and Stile System” is rife with inaccuracies. I encountered two major problems. The first is inherent in any system of adjustment involving shims – specifically that all shims based systems are far from accurate and never compare to fixed mated profiles. This Freud system is no exception. You find that your stub tenons are either too thin or slightly over size no matter which combination you try. In the end you have get it just a little too tight and then SAND THE TENONS TO FIT! No Thanks Freud I do not have time for this. Secondly, I found that even the fixed cutting edges were inaccurate. The cutters consistently cut a cope in which the profile was shy of the cut on the back of the cope. I have included a photo of the results of this. As you can see there is a gap where the rail meets the stile. The back is flush – it meets the stile before front edge because the cutters are not ground correctly. In order to bring get the coped profile to mate the stile you have two choices – crosscutting the back edge of the cope on a table saw or ripping a bit off the back edge off the stile. There is no excuse for this – you can’t say that this is a problem common to shim systems. This is just plain flawed and inaccurate work on the part of Freud. Needless to say – sanding tenons to fit and fiddling to get the cope and stick to mate is vastly time consuming and frustrating. I was using these on a set of cherry cabinets and was going to keep fiddling with them in order to finish the set, but gave up in disgust. I had to chuck hours and hours of work and material. Thanks Freud! Well forewarned is forearmed and at least other jocks can save themselves a lot of grief by buying some other brand. I took a photo of the Freud bits in the trash because that is where they belong.

View mcase's profile

mcase

View ChuckV's profile

ChuckV

#1 posted 01-01-2014 11:27 PM

Is it true that this is the new Freud corporate image?

-- “While the world with closed eyes sleeps, The sky knows and weeps - steel rain. ” ― Nathan Bell

View carver1942's profile

carver1942

#2 posted 01-02-2014 01:15 PM

Thank you for the in depth review of the Freud cutters. I was considering buying these cutters as I will be building kitchen cabinets soon. I diffidently will not purchase them now.
regards
Ed

View Greg..the Cajun Wood Artist's profile (online now)

Greg..the Cajun Wood Artist

5261 posts in 2054 days

#3 posted 01-02-2014 03:13 PM

you should try Whiteside Router bits. I have quite a few of them and they are outstanding quality.
I have had no problems with Freud bits or cutters but I never use one brand exclusively.

-- Each step of every Wood Art project I design and build is considered my masterpiece… because I want the finished product to reflect the quality and creativeness of my work

View Phil53's profile

Phil53

#4 posted 01-02-2014 03:17 PM

Did you call customer service? If so what was their response?

View colvinatch's profile

colvinatch

#5 posted 01-02-2014 04:25 PM

I’m surprised that you have not been attacked by the rabid Freud fanboys by now!

#6 posted 01-02-2014 05:05 PM

“I’m surprised that you have not been attacked by the rabid Freud fanboys by now”
I do not believe that there is such a thing.
Freud has an excellent reputation and the vast majority of LJs use this brand and are very satisfied with it.
Obviously not every one is happy with their product.

View Nicky's profile

Nicky

#7 posted 01-02-2014 05:13 PM

+1 Bert.

Freud has an excellent reputation in my shop. I own lots of bits and blades and have been very happy with the performance.

I would be curious and sad to see if this is a new trend.

-- Nicky

#8 posted 01-02-2014 07:27 PM

If there are many more reviews like these ones, we will have to conclude that Freud has changed something and not for the best.
Wait and see.

#9 posted 01-03-2014 12:34 AM

Love the first picture ! LOL

View Craftsman on the lake's profile

Craftsman on the lake

#10 posted 01-03-2014 02:58 PM

We Freud Fanboys don’t attack. We just say if we’ve had good luck with them. Just as this reviewer did. He’s using a lot of the bits that I use and says that they’ve been good. Freud had undoubtedly made this adjustable bit and it’s not working out. It doesn’t mean that their other bits, or fixed cabinet bits aren’t good. They are. This is a credible reviewer. He didn’t trash Freud… just this adjustable bit system. As a result I won’t be purchasing it. It won’t put me off from the others though. Thank you from a fanboy… I’ve had a lot of experience though. I’m a long term Mac user. Fanboys were invented by Apple. ;-)

View RibsBrisket4me's profile

RibsBrisket4me

#11 posted 01-03-2014 04:57 PM

Right on COTL, I,m reading this thread from my iPad air :)

-- http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid6255915

View Mark Davisson's profile

Mark Davisson

510 posts in 2063 days

#12 posted 01-03-2014 05:54 PM

Excellent post, COTL.

A tool review, in my opinion, should be the reviewer’s appraisal of his tool. I don’t believe a rating should be influenced by the manufacturer’s (or retailer’s) reputation. In other words, I don’t think a guy should give 2 stars rather than 1 star to a poorly-made tool because the manufacturer has a reputation for putting out high-quality products. Same with customer service.

I understand the emotion – both positive and negative – that often influences reviews and ratings in this section, and I discount most reviews I read because I know emotion trumps logic with most people.

-- I'm selfless because it feels so good!

View ThorinOakenshield's profile

ThorinOakenshield

#13 posted 01-21-2014 06:49 PM

I wonder if Freud’s quality issues have anything to do with being purchased by Bosch in 2008/2009. I bought a Bosch router bit once, it fell apart really quick. They could just be painting over the “Skil” logo with a “Freud” logo, the red is about the same.

However, I have owned some Freud saw blades and I own a bunch of other Freud router bits and find them to work well. Could just be their quad-cut and adjustable bits.

-- -Thorin Oakenshield, King Under the Mountain