Expensive Junk

Review by colvinatch posted 12-31-2013 04:19 AM 2835 views 0 times favorited 30 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Expensive Junk No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this bit as part of a three bit set for $75.00 and had high expectations after reading about their revolutionary four blade cutting bits. I put this cove and bead bit in and after the first cut (which was smooth) one of the blades split and separated from the bit and buried itself into my router table fence. What is most troublesome of all is the fact that I communicated this to Freud with no response in over two weeks, not only does Freud have terrible quality control, now ad non-existent customer service / response to Freud’s list of problems.

View woodchuckerNJ's profile

woodchuckerNJ

#1 posted 12-31-2013 04:32 AM

Sure you didn’t hit a knot or piece of metal.

I have had very good customer service from freud, they replaced my diablo 80tooth blade no questions asked.
Give them another try, call if necessary.

Check your anger before speaking, and I will bet they replace the bit no problem.

-- Jeff NJ

View Craftsman on the lake's profile

Craftsman on the lake

2386 posts in 2090 days

#2 posted 12-31-2013 04:38 AM

I’ve never had to call Freud’s customer service so I can’t speak for that but I do have almost exclusively their brand of router bits. The reason is the great performance I’ve gotten from them. I do have an ogee bit similar to yours it’s quadracut. I’ve used it to death probably 1000 linear feet of moulding. It gives a very smooth one pass cut and continues to do so as of a couple of days ago. Their large raised cabinet bit sets can’t be beat. I have three, the ogee, cove, and straight/angle one. I hope you get yours replaced and you get the chance to see how these bits cut. When I shop for a bit I need I always check to see if the quadra is available. More expensive but worth it.

View HerbC's profile

HerbC

#3 posted 12-31-2013 04:40 AM

colvinach,

I can certainly understand your aggravation and frustration.

I bought and used two of the Quadra Cut bits and they were great. I have several other Freud bits and have never had a problem with any of them. But every manufacturer can and does occasionally have a problem and sell a product that has a problem. The key of course is that good companies will acknowledge the problem and take adequate measures to make the customer whole.

+1 on what woodchuckerNJ says…

Good Luck!

Be Careful!

Herb

-- Herb, Florida - Here's why I close most messages with "Be Careful!" http://lumberjocks.com/HerbC/blog/17090

#4 posted 12-31-2013 04:40 AM

No knot, no metal and no response from Freud. I have returned them to the vendor, it totally wrecked my Christmas project list. Needles to say I am very angry at Freud.

View Greg..the Cajun  Box Sculptor's profile

Greg..the Cajun Box Sculptor

5084 posts in 1961 days

#5 posted 12-31-2013 05:00 AM

I have used and still use many Freud bits, blades and dado’s for years with no problems or complaints whatsoever. You somehow got the one that was a lemon and that is most certainly frustrating. I can’t comment on their customer service because I have never had a reason to contact them.

View doordude's profile

doordude

#6 posted 12-31-2013 07:14 AM

it almost looks as though the cutter had come unhinged.
hope you got your money back.

View Rick M.'s profile

Rick M.

#7 posted 12-31-2013 08:21 AM

They are probably on Christmas vacation. I’ve contacted them once and they got back to me within a couple days.

-- |Statistics show that 100% of people bitten by a snake were close to it.|

View wbrisett's profile

wbrisett

#8 posted 12-31-2013 10:48 AM

Wow, if the part that broke had hit you it would have done some serious damage. Glad it only got buried in your fence.

This makes me wonder where Freud is making those bits these days (although I don’t think you can blame everything on where something is made).

View Kjuly's profile

Kjuly

302 posts in 1938 days

#9 posted 12-31-2013 02:38 PM

I have been using Freud bits for years without a problem. I agree with Craftsman on the Lake and buy Quadra Cut bits, if they are available in the profile I need.
I also use the Freud 2 + 2 raised panels bits, similar design. It has been sharpened two or three times and still cuts great.
Keith

-- Keith, Charlotte, MI www.julyswoodworks.com

View Mark Davisson's profile

Mark Davisson

493 posts in 1970 days

#10 posted 12-31-2013 03:01 PM

colvinatch, I see that 8 or 9 months ago you posted another review highlighting Freud’s poor quality control on a dado set you had purchased.

I’d stay away from Freud products.

-- I'm selfless because it feels so good!

View PittsburghTim's profile

PittsburghTim

#11 posted 12-31-2013 03:10 PM

Labeling all Freud as overpriced junk is hardly fair. I have used Freud bits and blades for years with terrific results. As I have been on vacation since the 17th, I can understand that their customer support may be slow to respond. I am sorry for your issue, but disagree with your conclusion.

The fact that you have posted no projects, no profile, and almost half of your 9 comments since you joined over a year ago are trashing one manufacturer do not give much credence to your views and I would caution anyone reading this review to take this into consideration.

-- She asked me, "Who are you going to please with that?" I said, "Me."

View Howie's profile

Howie

#12 posted 12-31-2013 03:38 PM

Like others have pointed out sometimes you get a lemon but that doesn’t mean everything a company makes is a lemon. I bought a new car once that every time I drove it around the block something went wrong with it. Dealer and company made good on it but I got rid of it before the warranty went out. Since then I’ve had three of the same brand and have been well satisfied with them all. Give Freud a chance to make good they are a reputable firm.

-- Life is good.

View grumpy749's profile

grumpy749

#13 posted 12-31-2013 03:41 PM

I wholeheartedly agree with Pittsburgh Tim. The Freud brand of products in general In my opinion is very good. There router bits are in my mind the very best. 90 present of my bits are freud and all are first class. Some are more than 20 years old and yes some need replacing but all still work great. Now with that said any product man made can have flaws lets just be thankful you weren’t injured. A project is replaceable but your hands or face not so.

-- Denis in Grande Prairie. Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mistery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.....Pink !

View lepelerin's profile

lepelerin

#14 posted 12-31-2013 04:25 PM

+1 for PittsburghTim’s second paragraph! Cannot comment on Freud bits, I do not have any, I use Blue Tornado bits (excellent btw).

#15 posted 12-31-2013 04:34 PM

I am sure that Freud makes a good product, however this is my very first experience with any of their bits, this was one that I had high hopes for as well as a lot of work to get done with. To have this bit fail in such a manner right out of the box is frustrating and aggravating, to have an e-mail go unanswered for such a long time is also frustrating and aggravating. I work in my shop to relax and get away from frustration and aggravation, which is why I buy he best tools I can afford, normally this tends to minimize the frustration, not so in this case. I am willing to give them another chance but they have to contact me first and make this right.