Another Great Lie-Nielsen

Review by mcase posted 12-30-2013 01:39 AM 2741 views 1 time favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Another Great Lie-Nielsen No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have been messing around with this plane for about a month now – trying it sharpened at different angles and degrees of convex, using it in different woods and grains etc. I have made a lot shavings with it, but I wanted to put this plane to some real-world use before writing this review. I just finished the cherry panels for eleven cabinet doors with it. So I can now make some credible comments on it. As you might expect from Lie-Nielsen, its a real pretty plane and all you had to do was hone the edge. This plane is based on the vintage Stanley model and has retained the up-top easy-to-reach depth adjustment used in the original. This is a feature I like in a plane – It lets me dial in the depth while moving the plane. This plane dialed in nice too! – the adjuster was not just easy to reach, but also smooth operating. I bought this plane specifically for tough grain. When gluing panels you often end up with contrary grains – one panel’s grain running the opposite of the other. Well I had plenty of that this afternoon, but this was the moment I was waiting for! I set the plane up at a York pitch and it handled everything with ease. I also found setting it up easy. It really seems to me that too much is made out the difficulty setting the convex curve on a bevel-up plane. I found that there was nothing to it. Just do a straight grind at 25 or 30 degrees and set the micro bevel where you want it. You get all the convex curve you need just by applying a little extra pressure on the sides as you hone. Its a smoother after all and does not need much curve. I found it was no more difficult than putting the convex curve on by bevel down smoothers. The low center of gravity was really nice too. So Yeah, I really like this thing! It works great, its easy to set up, and its a real pleasure to use

#1 posted 12-30-2013 02:24 AM

Nice review. Good to see someone here actually use a tool before giving it 5 stars : )
How much did this gem cost ?

View stefang's profile

stefang

13632 posts in 2080 days

#2 posted 12-30-2013 02:30 PM

Sounds like a great tool, which one expects from a Lie Nielsen Plane. I have some Lie-Nielsen bedrock clones from china and I have been planing some old end grain cutting boards to renew them for my son. They aren’t as good as LN planes but they worked very well. A low angle plane like yours would have been easier for sure. Maybe I will get one like yours for Christmas. There’s no harm in hoping!

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

View Marc5's profile

Marc5

304 posts in 2088 days

#3 posted 12-30-2013 04:19 PM

I have had one for a few years and since this purchase my Stanley #4 is in storage. I agree with the review and in my mind, next to the bevel up #5 this is probably the best value in the LN plane family. One plane, one blade and you can easily achieve endless effective cutting angles. Win Win.

-- Marc

#4 posted 12-30-2013 05:48 PM

Hey Dusty56,

It was only $265.00 which is less than the number 4 bedrock style LN. I’m guessing it cost a bit less because there’s no frog.

#5 posted 12-31-2013 02:27 AM

Just an FYI for anyone sharpening these bevel up planes. I own the smoother, jack and jointer and one big no no that I found out was that you cannot use the ruler trick to bevel the back of the iron when sharpening on stones. It sure does a good job of making the edge keen but it changes the angle of bed just enough that I could not get a good shaving from my smoother. I struggled with it for months, wondering why I couldn’t get a good shaving out of it, until finally digging online for some articles that said the 12 degree bed is the Minimum for these planes and that almost any further at all on the flat back of the blade will make it skate rather than cut. Of course if you only make one maybe two swipes on your stones with the ruler under it may not matter so much but I just went all the way and do not use the ruler when doing my final hone with my stones for my bevel up irons.

-- LAS, http://www.abettersign.com

View grumpy749's profile

grumpy749

#6 posted 12-31-2013 04:06 PM

Great post and lots of good info. Great tip on sharpening from Luke as well. I got one for Christmas and have mixed results but each day it gets better. I can see this being a go to tool in special situations. Thanks mcase if it works that well for you then it should for me as well.

-- Denis in Grande Prairie. Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mistery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.....Pink !

#7 posted 01-01-2014 11:49 PM

Hey Luke that’s great info. I took the high road and polished the whole back. Glad to hear I did the right thing for once. Sounds like I spared myself a lot of heartache.

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile

TopamaxSurvivor

#8 posted 01-05-2014 05:10 AM

Great review. May Ii ask what a York pitch is?

#9 posted 01-07-2014 01:59 AM

View Jason300b's profile

Jason300b

#10 posted 01-11-2014 03:17 AM

Thanks for posting your thoughts. A quick question for the OP if you have the time, are the sides substantial enough to hit the end of a board in a shooting board set-up without the plane rocking? I know that isn’t what it is designed for, but I’m interested to know.

#11 posted 01-11-2014 04:22 AM

I’m not the OP but I do use my jack to do shooting. There is enough metal on the side to keep it stable and what’s more LN sells a hotdog attachment for the side that is super helpful. I’d venture to say that is what they designed it for. Awesome planes really.

-- LAS, http://www.abettersign.com