New nova 1624-44 lathe from woodcraft

Review by Norm192 posted 206 days ago 2702 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
New nova 1624-44 lathe from woodcraft No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Just bought a nova 1624-44 lathe from woodcraft.$899. My previous, and first and only lathe, was a rikon 70-100. I have enjoyed it for about 3 years now. I have turned several 11-1/2” x 4”+ deep bowls on it. That’s maxed out. Great lathe but time to upgrade.
The nova came well packaged. Assembly was simple and straight forward. Not impossible by yourself but an easy two man job.
Banjo and tail stock lock down rock solid. No graduations on tail stock but operation is smooth. Motor is quiet, belt change is easy. You need to walk behind the lathe to change belts but it’s a short learning curve. Headstock rotates up to 90 degrees. It’s quick, easy and locks in tight.
First project was a 9” diameter by 4” tall persimmon bowl. Cakewalk. No sweat. 1-1/2 hp didn’t know there was a bowl there.
Second project was a 12” diameter by 5” ish tall natural edge dry cherry. No problem here. Didn’t realize turning was so easy.
Current project is 15” diameter by 8” tall maple. This blank was out of balance so I had to drop down to the lowest rpm ( 215 I think ) till it trued up. Now I’m turning at around 600-800 rpm and taking good cuts smoothly.
Have not bogged this unit down yet.
IMHO fit and finish are great. So far power is great. I am going to buy the outrigger for big outboard turning and see what this baby can do!
I am going add a shelf with some weight to mine. The legs are solid and well built but the vibration dampening weight is not there for that initial out of balance turning.
Yes there are some Cadillac lathes out there I would like to own, but for $899 I think think the Nova 1624-44 is the best bang for the buck.

View Norm192's profile

Norm192

View Rick M.'s profile

Rick M.

Thanks, don’t see many reviews of Nova lathes.

-- |Statistics show that 100% of people bitten by a snake were close to it.|

View michelletwo's profile

michelletwo

I’ve had a nova for 30 yrs..very nice, but lightweight..if you are planning large bowls on the outrigger, be forewarned..by not being inline with the rails, you have a huge balance issue. Go slowly and find it’s limits.

-- We call the destruction of replaceable human made items vandalism, while the destruction of irreplaceable natural resources is called development.

View los's profile

los

Norm192,

I had my 16-24 for two years and loved it. Turned everything from spindles to a very heavy 24 inch magnolia bowl with the outrigger(can you say low speeds!).

I ended up adding 60-70 lbs of weight to each end with some old gym weights and rope. Made a huge difference.

For that price its a great deal.

(I recently took the jump and picked up the Nova 2024 and Im in heaven with the bigger capacity and variable speed.)

Enjoy

View Xyloid_Curt's profile

Xyloid_Curt

I have had the Nova 1644 for more than a year and I agree it is a solid bargain. I don’t see a need to walk to the other side to change speeds, I never have and pulley changes are pretty easy to do. I added a shelf and bolted the legs to the floor to keep it from walking. I also use sand bags when necessary.

-- Xyloid Curt www.etsy.com/shop/xyloidcreations