|Review by John Lowell||posted 12-28-2013 03:16 PM||3141 views||0 times favorited||15 comments|
Santa is a good person. Saw into my heart, noted the good fella inside and delivered what is now, without doubt, the highest quality tool in my shop.
He left the unit in the store, only asking that I pick it up, load and unload it into the truck, muscle it down into the shop, unpack it, assemble, and tune it up. And that is a lot of work.
It weighs 240 lbs.
It is hard to move and assemble by one’s self.
Kids did not buy the Santa story.
Assembly by one who has never really used a bandsaw took the day, and changes to the saw took another afternoon. I did take time, you tubed and lumberjocked to understand what was needed, but still made mistakes,
If this is the new and improved manual, am very glad I did not see the old version. Instructions not really clear for a beginner, and some changes to the saw that are not mentioned. But, I stumbled through. Note in the photo a chrome fence rail and different scale mount from the older version.
1) assemble the stand – not hard, heavy gauge steel, went together well.
2) mount the saw – The hardest part was lifting the bugger. I ended up using paint cans, tilting the saw, pushing the cans under, then tilting the other side. Kind of like walking up stairs. Final lift started higher, easer on the back, and went well.
3) mount the table top – thought it went well, at least until the tune up stage.
4) tune it up – ahhh, now the beginner errors show themselves. Followed the instructions, scratched a bit, and completed the task with only two fender washers, two screws and one fence scale left over. Problem? As of now, I think the screws are to mount the fence scale, and there were two scales in the box. They are different, I think to allow mounting to either side of the blade.
Have no idea where the extra fender washers go…...
Table did cause problems. Went through the tune up, but the drift was “wow” – see photo.
More scratching and I noted the table was not square to the saw. hummmm, sounds like a problem. Loosened and attempted to square to the post, but the post is not “square”, there is a difference between the back face/table square and using the front face. oh well, just ended up using the back face, and remounted.
The good news is that after another tuning, there is almost no drift. Either I did something right, or simply blundered into a reasonable setup. See the resaw result.
Completed the various tests and have started using it.
In use – WOW! Smooth, quiet and strong. Went through 12/4 hard maple easy, and with the factory blade.
Dust extraction poor, but after reading about the plate that blocks the intake, grabbed the Dremel and cut it off. Much better now. I did talk to my 14 yr old son, requested that whenever he sees me running the saw, he is not to remove the vacuum hose and stick his fingers into the 4 in opening. He agreed. Now I need to brief my daughter and I can rest easy.
Bottom line – really like how it works, am looking forward to making sawdust!
Other bottom line – Santa is a wonderful fella.
-- Trying, but lots to learn.....