Excellent new E-Book by fellow LJ Roger Bean

Review by Brice1 posted 199 days ago 1383 views 3 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Excellent new E-Book by fellow LJ Roger Bean Excellent new E-Book by fellow LJ Roger Bean Excellent new E-Book by fellow LJ Roger Bean Click the pictures to enlarge them

For those of you who may be unfamiliar with Roger’s work – I would like to suggest that you take a brief minute and look at his projects. http://lumberjocks.com/RogerBean/projects . He has recently published a truly outstanding E-book entitled “Walnut Burl Fountain Pen Box” available for download at Andrew Crawford’s site http://www.smartboxmaker.com/ at about $16.35 with the exchange rate.

The book takes you through the development process for this wonderful little box from the beginning sketches and then proceeds through final finish. His casual but informative style of writing combined with great photographs has encouraged me to attempt some things that I previously would not have considered.

This book was not written for beginners, as it assumes that the reader already has some woodworking skills and access to basic shop equipment. It is written for those of us who have ever looked at a stunning project and thought, “I wonder how they did that”. His book details techniques and secrets learned through years of perfecting his craft, and by working directly with Andrew Crawford in Shropshire, England, arguably one of the most accomplished box makers of our time.

Roger is truly a very gifted artisan and I can recommend this book without reservation to anyone wanting to take his or her skills to an entirely new level. I found the book to be an invaluable resource for providing both inspiration and practical information. Lastly, it has given me the motivation to attempt some of the more challenging tasks by simply taking things one at a time and not being overwhelmed by the enormity of a given project.

-- Brice, Philadelphia

View Brice1's profile

Brice1

View rustynails's profile

rustynails

Brice, Thanks for posting your review of the Roger’s book. Its on my list..

View dclark1943's profile

dclark1943

Brice, Nice of you to give Roger your endorsement, and the photo essay is really well put together; informative and educational.

-- Dave, Kansas City

View michelletwo's profile

michelletwo

thanks for the heads up..congrats Roger on your e-book. you do splendid work.

-- We call the destruction of replaceable human made items vandalism, while the destruction of irreplaceable natural resources is called development.

View Randy63's profile

Randy63

Excellent review Brice and one that I agree with completely. It is not nor was it intended to be a how to book, but still shows many step by step photos of the techniques and chronological sequence of steps taken to make this type of box. This would be helpful to anyone desiring to try or attempt veneered boxes without the aid of vacuum presses. Roger doesn’t pretend to be, but is a master woodworker. He is also extremely willing to share his knowledge and help others with fine box making. I would recommend this e-book very highly.

-- Randy, Oakdale, Ca.

View RogerBean's profile

RogerBean

Many thanks Brice, for the kind words. This was a pretty complex box, though I tried to take the mystery out of it. I appreciate your thoughts, and your boxes. I hope others find the ebook helpful in their box making.

111999 posts in 2164 days

A very good Review Brice ,Congrats on your book Roger,it sounds like a outstanding learning tool plus a reference to quality workmanship.

View Dennis Zongker's profile

Dennis Zongker

Hi Brice,

Thank you for the Review!!!

I have a question, I went to the link for Rogers e-book and got lost trying to find it. It’s probably just me ‘the lost computer boy’ lol Could you lead me in the right direction?

-- Dennis Zongker