OK while they last, but they don't last long.

Review by JustJoe posted 246 days ago 1114 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
OK while they last, but they don't last long. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought a spray system from peachtree woodworking on black friday, and on a whim I added two sets of these earmuffs to the order because they were on sale for under $10, normal price $14.99.

As far as hearing protection goes, they worked OK – until they broke.

Comfort:3/5. They weren’t uncomfortable, but it wasn’t like Pamela Anderson was covering my ears with her ample bosom either.

Fit: 3/5. Even after adjusting the lengths, they just didn’t sit right. The spring of the band put more pressure on top than on the bottom, so the bottom didn’t seem to seal all the way.

Sound Muffling: 4/5. About the same as the other cheapo sets you can get at any borg or HF. These were more than adequate for the regular tools like a bandsaw, sander or lathe. But they just didn’t cut it when running the planer or some of my metalworking gear. That’s not a major problem for me because I have more expensive earmuffs for those tools (I’m trying to get one stationed near every noisemaker in the workshop).

Durability: 0/100. I bought them on Black Friday, it took a week for the order to arrive. They broke on Christmas Eve. That’s about 3 weeks of owning them, and less than a dozen on/off cycles. The little plastic piece that holds the earpiece to the band broke. It is a thin plastic piece that snaps over side of the earpiece. It is about the thickness of a sheet of toilet paper (the dollar store stuff, not the Charmin.). I wasn’t doing anything abusive when it broke, I was just taking them off after making a cut on the bandsaw. I don’t know my hat-size, but I’m sure I’m not a fatty and I wasn’t stretching them to their limits. It’s just a cheap piece on a cheap tool.

So that’s my observation. My suggestion is not to buy them, there are plenty of other ones out there to try.

-- This Ad Space For Sale! Your Ad Here! Reach a targeted audience! Affordable Rates, easy financing! Contact an ad represenative today at JustJoe's Advertising Consortium.

View JustJoe's profile

JustJoe

View Dallas's profile

Dallas

HAHAHAHAHA!

Pamela ain’t got nothing on my virtual ear muffins!

I’ve tried a lot of different methods of making things quiet. Other than buying the nice, expensive, comfy ear muffs, I use a few sets of $10 Uniden Pro 3000 headphones from the dollar store.
They work so well I can’t hear the wife telling me about the cute kitten pictures on Facebook, even when the DC and the table saw aren’t running.

-- Improvise.... Adapt...... Overcome!

View ChuckV's profile

ChuckV

Joe,

I was hoping that you would include a comparative rating of the PamMuffs in the other categories of Fit, Sound Muffling, and Durability.

-- “That it will never come again / Is what makes life so sweet. ” ― Emily Dickinson

View Bogeyguy's profile

Bogeyguy

Whoa, whoa. This is a family web site. We can’t be discussing Pam’s muff. Or can we? LOL!

-- Art, Pittsburgh.

View Howie's profile

Howie

My wife and I use HF specials. Lasted for years. Use them when I use my 735 to plane with. No problems. (about 4 bucks)

-- Life is good.

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile

TopamaxSurvivor

Thanks Joe. good to know.

View Don W's profile (online now)

Don W

I’ve got a couple pare from harbor freight I’ve had for a couple years now. I paid like $3 a piece. Still going strong. You know you’ve hit bottom when you find equipment worse than harbor freight.

Good review.