Excellent option for portable dust collection

Review by lumberjoe posted 12-24-2013 07:52 PM 2834 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Excellent option for portable dust collection No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Like many, I don’t have the space or power requirements for a large dust collector. I need something small that doesn’t draw a lot of power (I only have 30 amps available). This little unit fits the bill. I have my tools aranged so everything that needs a proper 4” dust collector is in close proximity, and I have a quick connect on the hose.

The good:

This unit is quiet compared to a shop vac and has plenty of power when connected to one tool at a time. It has no trouble keeping up with any tool I have attached it to.

It’s fairly light and on lockable casters.

It comes with a 4” to 2.5” adapter

The not so good

It comes installed with chip guards to protect the impeller. This prohibits use on a planer or jointer. I plan on making a separator which should eliminate that problem

The bag is only 13 gallons. Again a separator and large trash can will fix that

The bag is 30 micron – useless. I plan on ordering two 5 micron bag from grizzly

The bag inflates quite a bit – this leads me to believe there is a lot of back pressure. I am going to put a wye on the outlet and run 2 bags if it still fully inflates with a separator.

Overall I am very happy with this unit – especially for the price. It can be had for under $100 if you catch a sale. It definitely generates enough CFM to evacuate dust directly from what it is connected to. This is not a good solution for long runs or multiple hookups.

-- www.etsy.com/shop/KandJWoodCrafts

View lumberjoe's profile

lumberjoe

5386 posts in 1929 days

#1 posted 12-24-2013 08:32 PM

Check out AFF or maybe even Highland Woodworking, I bet you could get a 1 micron or better bag rigged up for those little dust collectors… Perhaps you could duct the exhaust / dump the fine dust outside away from your work area via a long hose / pipe?

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View Hawaiilad's profile

Hawaiilad

2088 posts in 1718 days

#2 posted 12-24-2013 09:33 PM

I have and use a unit pretty much like that made for Sears. I have added a hose spliter and run 3 hoses to my joiner, planner and bandsaw with very good results. I am also hooking up a trash can separator to catch more dust, but this one works great for what I need right now

-- Larry in sunny and warm Hawaii,

View upinflames's profile

upinflames

#3 posted 12-25-2013 12:57 PM

I have one of these, piped outside, but I do live out in the sticks with no neighbors. If you take the motor assembly out and seal everything good, tighten the bolts, and wax everything inside the housing plus the impeller, it will enhance the little guy just a bit. The impeller is not plastic, very handy little collector.

View LoydMoore's profile

LoydMoore

#4 posted 12-25-2013 03:41 PM

I actually put a three way wye with three 5 micron bags on mine to reduce back pressure. I also built a Thein style separator. The separator work great since I have emptied the separator several times and the bags are still empty. If time and $$$s permit I am going to install an exhaust pipe this summer to take what little fine dust get past the separator outside.

-- Loyd, San Angelo, TX http:www.moorewoodenboxes.com

View Kaleb the Swede's profile

Kaleb the Swede

#5 posted 12-25-2013 11:46 PM

Good dust collector. I have one mounted on my wall, and have it piped to my miter saw, planer, and table saw with an 8 foot section of 4 inch pipe with a separator. I use blast gates of course. This little guy does a fine job for me in my little garage. Sure it would benice to have more power but it does very well

-- Just trying to build something beautiful

View Stephenw's profile

Stephenw

#6 posted 12-26-2013 03:59 AM

I have this dust collector. I purchased a 5 micron bag from Rockler and it works much better.

-- http://www.garagebulletin.com/

View cutworm's profile

cutworm

#7 posted 12-26-2013 10:09 PM

thanks for the info. Looks nice and is what I need for my small space.

-- Steve - "Never Give Up"