Harbor Freight Fluorescent Magnifying Lamp

Review by SirFatty posted 12-24-2013 01:39 AM 2246 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Harbor Freight Fluorescent Magnifying Lamp Harbor Freight Fluorescent Magnifying Lamp Harbor Freight Fluorescent Magnifying Lamp Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is a review of the Harbor Freight Fluorescent Magnifying Lamp. Purchased today, it was on sale (in store) for $29.99.

The construction is all metal, I assumed that there would be some plastic involved, but was pleasantly surprised when the box was opened. The only plastic are the magnifier cover and the knob.

The fluorescent tube in circular with 22w of light and no buzzing or flickering.

The 5” magnifier is clear, no obvious imperfections. The arm articulates with little effort, moves easily and stays where it’s put.

Bottom line, this is easily worth money. I cannot image spending at least double anywhere else. This is one of those Harbor Freight items that are worth the money, without any caveats.

-- Visit my blog at dave.spalla.com

View SirFatty's profile

SirFatty

View JustJoe's profile

JustJoe

#1 posted 12-24-2013 01:57 AM

Sounds like a winner then. But why did you only give it four stars with such a glowing review?

-- This Ad Space For Sale! Your Ad Here! Reach a targeted audience! Affordable Rates, easy financing! Contact an ad represenative today at JustJoe's Advertising Consortium.

View Mark Davisson's profile

Mark Davisson

493 posts in 1968 days

#2 posted 12-24-2013 02:18 AM

I’ve got one, but mine doesn’t have the little swivel door that protects the glass when not in use. I have a dumb plastic bag that I put over mine to keep the dust out.

I love mine, though. It not only provides the magnification that these old eyes need, it puts the items in great light (which isn’t universally available throughout my shop).

-- I'm selfless because it feels so good!

View sgmdwk's profile

sgmdwk

#3 posted 12-24-2013 02:58 AM

Good timing – I was just looking for something like this. Thanks for the review.

-- Dave K.

View SirFatty's profile

SirFatty

#4 posted 12-24-2013 03:04 AM

JustJoe, it was a mistake.. it’s been corrected. Thanks!

-- Visit my blog at dave.spalla.com

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

#5 posted 12-24-2013 04:14 AM

Very good review…
... wish you had made it about 2 yrs. ago… :) LOL

I think I got mine on Sale from Lee Valley (Veritas, etc.)...
... I like it… when I use it… which isn’t all that much.

Merry Christmas and

-- |Statistics show that 100% of people bitten by a snake were close to it.|

View LeChuck's profile

LeChuck

#7 posted 12-24-2013 06:31 PM

Thanks for the review, I have to get one of those…

-- David - Tucson, AZ

View ic3ss's profile

ic3ss

#8 posted 12-24-2013 09:01 PM

I’ve been eyeballing this for some time. Guess it’s time to use my 20% off coupon. Thanks for the review.

Wayne

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#9 posted 12-27-2013 05:58 PM

My wife got me one that is nearly identical from Staples for ~$50 for my birthday. They are very handy to have, especially if you’ve got “over 45” eyes.

The lid is very important, but protecting the lens from damage is only a secondary function.

If you don’t cover the magnifying lens, a stream of light through the window on a sunny day can get magnified and start a fire in your shop.

-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!

View snozzfest's profile

snozzfest

#10 posted 04-01-2014 07:46 AM

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. This site is good for magnifying lamp reviews (as well as other vision aids like headband magnifiers).

I am looking for a gooseneck model – they add an extra touch of flexibility. Also leaning towards one with LEDs as the main light source.