Be careful when using this product

Review by PurpLev posted 06-16-2008 02:05 AM 3982 views 2 times favorited 17 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Be careful when using this product Be careful when using this product Be careful when using this product Click the pictures to enlarge them

Be careful when using this product because it’ll help you get your blades so sharp you could cut yourself by holding them by the handle…

This tool is remarkably simple to use and accurate. I especially like the quick micro-bevel setup. If you are not sharpening blades on a regular bases so that you are comfortable holding them at the precise angel you want them while sharpening – this guide will double and triple the value of your blade!

I am the weekend warrior, and as such, I do not practice sharpening my chisels very often. I have had a single english marples for a long time, and thought I can freehand sharpen it – which I did- only to have an OK edge that would require some force to use, and would lose it’s shape in no time. for the longest time I wanted to get the MK-II, but always thought I don’t REALLY need it, and postponed this purchase until this weekend. I am using the “scary sharp” method, and have always heard of people achieve razor-blade sharpness off of their chisels, which sounded like a cool idea, but I never even got anywhere close to such a thing until this weekend. I have used the MK-II to sharpen and hone a brand new 6 piece Chisel set in less then 30 min, and also completely fixed (the odd bevel) and honed my old marples in less then 10 min (including regrinding the bevel) – all to a mirror finish, and a hair splitting razor sharp edge.

I should have gotten it much earlier. I never realized what difference it would be to work with properly honed chisels – the blade slices through the wood (almost) like a hot knife through butter without putting much more force then gravity itself – I was amazed at this as I have always believed you really need to work hard to cut mortices, and anything else involving chisels.

The MK-II makes it a fast, comfortable, adjustable process to take a dull blade, and hone it to a mirror finish. is also keeps your fingers far enough from the abrasive as to protect them from scratching. it got me to hone 7 chisels from scratch (100grit – 230 – 400 – 600 – 1000 – 2000) in less time than it used to take me to sharpen a single chisel freehand before – and apparently it wasn’t even a good sharpening as the bevel wasnt right, and it wasn’t really kept parallel to the abrasive!.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

View motthunter's profile

motthunter

#1 posted 06-16-2008 02:40 AM

I love mine. I truly don’t know Jack about sharpening and this guide helps me get it right and still remain ignorant to the process. It is a great tool

-- making sawdust....

View tenontim's profile

tenontim

#2 posted 06-16-2008 03:02 AM

Thanks for the review. I’ve been looking at one of these, but like you, I just haven’t been able to bring myself to buy one. I guess, because I’ll have to actually put a recognizable angle on my chisels. I have some second hand antique Japanese chisels that were sharpened by hand, and I’ve continued the tradition of having various angles on them. Usually I just touch them up on the waterstone and the buffing wheel. I have one of the cheaper roller guides that I use for my plane blades, but it would be nice to try out the micro bevel adjustment.

View teenagewoodworker's profile

teenagewoodworker

#3 posted 06-16-2008 03:43 AM

i’ve heard a ton about this jig too and also been putting off this purchase. i think that once i get some better chisels i might get this. thanks for the post!

View lazyfiremaninTN's profile

lazyfiremaninTN

#4 posted 06-16-2008 07:12 AM

Hey TWW, This will turn ho-hum chisels into good chisels. I used Greg3g’s on my Irwins chisels and Groz planes in march when we visited him and my Planes are still kinda sharp and my chisels are still sharp enough that I don’t even need a mallet to square up corners.

This jig is the #1 item on my list to P/U ASAP

-- Adrian ..... The 11th Commandment...."Thou Shalt Not Buy A Wobble Dado"

View WayneC's profile

WayneC

#5 posted 06-16-2008 07:48 AM

I have one and can recommend it as well. Also the camber roller accessory.

-- We must guard our enthusiasm as we would our life - James Krenov

View gbvinc's profile

gbvinc

#6 posted 06-16-2008 02:49 PM

Have one, works great! Nice review!

View Chris 's profile

Chris

#7 posted 06-17-2008 03:26 AM

Love mine too…. I used to have and old side clamping jig that was just plain difficult to use. This jig is wonderful with any stone or sandpaper!

View Don Niermann  's profile

Don Niermann

#8 posted 06-17-2008 03:53 AM

Got it. Love it. Easy to get the same angles on every chi8sel and plane iron

-- WOOD/DON (...one has the right to ones opinion but not the right to ones own facts...)

View John_Sr's profile

John_Sr

#9 posted 06-17-2008 04:22 AM

I just purchased mine this weekend also. I am glas to hear that you are using the scary sharpe method. I still need to get some glass. great review.

#10 posted 06-17-2008 04:31 AM

John_Sr: I just picked an old piece of glass from a window that was replaced… I cant stress enough how important it is to use a dead flat base surface. before using the glass I was using a “very flat” cutting board, but because I was trying to “protect” the cutting board from getting ruined, it wasn’t as secure, and worry free.

what I did with the glass was (double sided) taped a full sheet of 100 grit to it, and I use that entire sheet as a primary grit to set the rough angle, and then I just place the next grit on top of the 100grit paper, and the abrasive material keeps the finer grit paper from moving around. Once I’m done with the finer abrasive paper – I just move on to the next grit and place that next grit on the 100 grit paper using the same technique… swapping grits is a snap, and I can (surprisingly enough) re-hone a chisel in less then a minute (tested!) swapping between 600-1000-2000 grits on the fly.

View lazyfiremaninTN's profile

lazyfiremaninTN

#11 posted 06-17-2008 05:31 AM

I ran by a glass shop a couple of months ago and picked up a 12in x 12in x 3/8in piece of glass for $12. Got home, made a sleeve for it outa cardboard and duct tape.

Found my wet/dry sand paper superfine grits (1000 and 2000) at the automotive parts store. Couldn’t find it locally in a wood/home store. A friend (mechanic) suggested that I try the parts store.

-- Adrian ..... The 11th Commandment...."Thou Shalt Not Buy A Wobble Dado"

#12 posted 06-17-2008 06:01 AM

true. finer grits are not available at the big-box stores. I didnt even find them at Rockler to my surprise. but Woodcraft has them for $.50 a sheet and also has them in bulk packages – not bad at all, and good quality abrasive from my experience with it so far.

View davidtheboxmaker's profile

davidtheboxmaker

#13 posted 06-17-2008 10:54 AM

I’m still using the original version of the jig. I’ve made my own jig to make sure I load the item to be sharpened consistently. I can clearly remember the surpise the first time I used it and discovered the joy of sharp tools. That was a major day in my woodworking experience.

View brunob's profile

brunob

#14 posted 06-17-2008 12:59 PM

Thanks for the comments. I’ll have to put one of these on my wish list.

-- Bruce from Central New York...now, if you'll pardon me, I have some sawdust to make.

View Mark Shymanski's profile

Mark Shymanski

#15 posted 06-17-2008 04:55 PM

Within moments of starting to use the MkII, that I got for Christmas, I poked myself in the finger with an extremely sharp chisel…I was so impressed that it got that sharp that quickly. Like you I was impressed with how little effort sharp chisels cut, I highly recommend the MKII. It certainly has made chiselling much more productive and fun…and probably safer as I am not trying to power through a cut but letting the tool do the work. Thanks for the review.

-- "Checking for square? What madness is this! The cabinet is square because I will it to be so!" Jeremy Greiner LJ Topic#20953 2011 Feb 2