Worth the Premium Price

Review by Mark Davisson posted 251 days ago 1785 views 7 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Worth the Premium Price No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

First, I’m sorry about the photo. Sandpaper is not extremely photogenic.

I’m a fan of Allan Little’s “AskWoodMan” YouTube channel. He talked me into paying the premium price for this product a little over a year ago. I ordered 6 sheets (9X11) of 5 different grits (80, 100, 120, 150, 180 and 220) at just under $1 per sheet. I created a sanding station using 1/4 sheet of each grit. My intention for this station was to sand long strips of walnut and oak picture frame stock by “rubbing” them across the fixed 1/4 sheets of paper, sequentially, from lowest to highest grits. And it works beautifully.

At $1 per sheet, I feared that my idea would get costly. But, of the 6 sheets of each grit originally purchased, I still have 5-3/4 sheets of each grit unused. After a year and probably 100 different pieces of 4’ (more or less) frame stock – plus numerous other edge sanding tasks for other projects – I’m still on the original quarter sheets! At this rate my original purchase will last at least 24 years.

The sandpaper is made in Germany on industrial e-weight paper. As far as I know, Allen is the only distributor in the U.S.

It’s available only in sheets. The only way this could be any better would be for them to also manufacture it for my ROS.

vsctools.com

Edit: I should add that $1 per sheet might not be the highest price in the marketplace for sandpaper. It’s the highest I’ve seen, however.

View MrRon's profile

MrRon

Most people think sandpaper is just paper with sand glued to it. In fact, it is a product that undergoes a lot of engineering. Thanks for the review.

View whitebeast88's profile

whitebeast88

great review on the sandpaper.thanks.

-- Marty.Athens,AL

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile

TopamaxSurvivor

Interesting, thanks.

View Rick M.'s profile

Rick M.

Quality sandpaper makes a difference, thanks.

-- |Statistics show that 100% of people bitten by a snake were close to it.|

View oldretiredjim's profile

oldretiredjim

I use it and like it. And Allan talked me into a 1/2 sheet sander that i really like. The combination is great.

489 posts in 1952 days

Jim, what sander did you buy? I have been holding firm against his recommendation of the half-sheet, but it’s getting harder and harder!

-- I'm selfless because it feels so good!

Am I reading this correctly , Mark ? You aren’t using it on a machine, but merely “rubbing” wood across it by hand ?

Dusty, that’s correct.

-- I'm selfless because it feels so good!

I have a couple of those “foam” style sanding blocks with H&L backing on them and I can’t kill the sandpaper that’s on them by hand either. I’ll have to look into your brand though as I am looking to make a sharpening station for my chisels and plane irons. Thanks.
What I’m really looking for is some rolls for my drum sanders that will stand up to that environment.
Hopefully something that wouldn’t clog up on softwoods and still be good for hardwoods without burning or tearing / cracking / becoming brittle over time. A friend had given me a length of cloth backed paper at one time and it lasted for years on my old Ryobi drumsander. Sadly no info was on the abrasive other than “120 grit” , and he couldn’t remember where he got it from.
Happy Holidays to you and yours, Mark : )

489 posts in 1952 days

Dusty: I don’t have a drum sander, but I’ve gotten the impression that Stockroom Supply knows what they’re doing with it comes to drum sanders. And they have cloth-backed paper.

For my sanding station I wrapped the 1/4 sheets of paper around 3 sides of a board and then screwed a retainer strip (picture screen moulding) along each edge of the board. I didn’t want there to be a sharp edge at the corners, so I added padding between the board and the sandpaper. I used a layer of that perforated shelf liner stuff. I clamped the board, then, in my Workmate (is that Black & Decker?) clamping table.

For a sharpening station I’d think you would want to adhere strips of progressively higher grits of paper to a piece of granite or glass. I use only 180 paper and lay a full sheet on glass without any adhesive and then immediately graduate to the 1200 then 6000 stones.

Have a safe and Merry Christmas!

-- I'm selfless because it feels so good!

Thanks for the link and the sharpening station advice : )

View oldretiredjim's profile

oldretiredjim

Mark – Makita. With a Fesstool punch pad.

View Billp's profile

Billp

I also have a makita half sheet sander with a fess tool punch pad. It’s the only festool product I can afford. The sander & the VSM paper is like driving a rolls Royce .

-- Billp