G0555LANV 14" Deluxe Bandsaw - Anniversary Edition

Review by Shozzy posted 12-21-2013 08:50 AM 4144 views 3 times favorited 21 comments Add to Favorites Watch
G0555LANV 14" Deluxe Bandsaw - Anniversary Edition G0555LANV 14" Deluxe Bandsaw - Anniversary Edition G0555LANV 14" Deluxe Bandsaw - Anniversary Edition Click the pictures to enlarge them

Today I received my Grizzly G0555LANV 14” Deluxe Bandsaw – Anniversary Edition, it is my first “real Bandsaw” so I don’t have much to compare it to, this is my first tool review and i am writing this approx an hour after assembling the machine with very little use. That being said you can easily tell when a tool is quality by the appearance, the materials its made of and how it fits together. This bandsaw nailed all three of those, as soon as i opened the box it was packaged very tightly in styrofoam and all parts were painted perfectly without a fingerprint on them. The base assembled easily and fit together tightly. I opted to also purchase a general universal mobile base which i was able to align the mounting holes on the base with the bottom of the saw stand. My |shop is a very small single car garage so everything has to be mobile! Lifting the actual bandsaw out of the box is definitely a two person job and this is where my only complaint came. All of the mounting hardware to attach the saw to the base is packaged underneath the very heavy saw, not really a huge deal though. The Saw bolted to the base easily and even came with the appropriate wrench. The saw came with a 3/8” blade but after reading other reviews it seemed worth getting a different blade so i bought a Viking 1/4” blade. As i said earlier a don’t have any real bandsaw experience and i put the blade on and got it tensioned then i realized the rake of the teeth were all facing up. I sat their perplexed for probably half an hour comparing the two blades and sure enough the teeth were going in the wrong direction on the viking blade. After about an hour i realized the blade was turned “inside out” if that makes sense. Basically the blade unfolded the wrong direction so i all i did was turn it inside out, cutting myself on the very sharp blade, and voila, teeth cutting down! The table mounted easily and did require some cleaning to get the rust preventative coating off of the cast iron. Some “goo gone” made fairly easy work of that. The blade tracking is very easily set and i was surprised how little of a turn you have to give the knob to adjust it. The fence rails mounted with cap screws on the back and bolts on the front that have some play to get the front and back level before tightening. The fence itself has a magnifying gauge that shows the adhesive measuring tape that is attached to the rail. The guides are all ball bearing and are adjusted with an allen wrench. The instructions showed a thumb screw in two locations on the adjustments but my saw had cap screws. I have not messed too much with the blade tension as of yet just roughly set it for the 1/4” blade and the quick release tension lever is solid and a nice feature. The large on off switch also has a padlock and two keys so you can lock the machine out for safety reasons. The back of the saw has a 4” dust port, unfortunately i am going to have to get an adapter as i am still using a shop vac, dust collector will be the next big purchase. Another thing i was surprised to see was that there were no tire brushes. I actually thought that i was missing a part as i thought these were standard, after looking online i saw that they didn’t have them but found a guy who made his own out of tooth brushes, an L bracket and a rare earth magnet, looked very easy and cheap to make. With everything assembled and tuned up it was time to plug it in and try it out. I quickly found a scrap and turned it on. I was amazed at how quiet the machine is and it felt solid to use even on the mobile base. I was able to cut tight curves in 3/4” stock like a hot knife through butter. It was definitely a pleasure to cut with never having the opportunity to use anything other then my old bench top model that was broken and would lock the blade up on 1/2” stock cutting straight. At around $550 shipped to my door plus another $50 for the mobile base i believe this is well worth the bang for the buck. Don’t get me wrong i would love a larger saw with bigger re saw capacity but this will do 6” out of the box and 12” with the additional riser kit (which is on my wish list), but as a hobbyist it is hard to justify the cost when this does everything i need it to and it does it well. Let me be clear i have absolutely no affiliation with grizzly, I just believe this is an excellent saw for the price and i always read reviews before i purchase but i never write them so i figured it was time to. I would recommend this saw to anyone looking to get high end quality for a very fair price.

Thanks

View Douglas's profile

Douglas

#1 posted 12-21-2013 02:38 PM

Congrats Shozzy, that’s a fine saw. I have the GO555P, and it has been a great tool. I’ve had mine for about 2 1/2 years, and added the riser block. With a 1/2 blade, I regularly re saw QSWO 10” wide with no issues. I love t, enjoy yours.

-- Douglas in Chicago - http://dcwwoodworks.com

View whitebeast88's profile

whitebeast88

#2 posted 12-21-2013 03:16 PM

thanks for the review.i’ve been eyeballing the same bs just need to pull the trigger before the end of the year.congrats on the new saw!!!

-- Marty.Athens,AL

View Bobsboxes's profile

Bobsboxes

#3 posted 12-21-2013 03:46 PM

Congrats on new saw, always nice to get a new, usable tool. Looks like you are ready to saw, and that base also looks like a dandy.

-- Bob, Lewistown, Montana. Kindness is the Language the blind can see and deaf can hear. - Mark Twain

View Dave G's profile

Dave G

#4 posted 12-21-2013 04:09 PM

I have one and like it too. Before you get too far, watch this video for tips on how to adjust it:

-- Dave, New England - “We are made to persist. that's how we find out who we are.” ― Tobias Wolff

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#5 posted 12-22-2013 12:08 AM

Looks like a nice set up…. I especially like the fence.

-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!

View sawdustjunkie's profile

sawdustjunkie

#6 posted 12-22-2013 02:11 AM

I also just bought the same saw inn the beginning of November. The only other band saw I had was a Skill 10” that couldn’t cut 1/2” stock without the blade falling off the wheels.
This saw is fantastic. I used the stock blade to cut 5/4 and 6/4 Hard Maple and it did just fine, but I put a Timberline blade on and it’s night and day. The new blade is way better than the stock one.
I don’t know if I will be using it for re-saw, but if I do, I’ll just get the riser kit when I’m ready
My first project was a rocking horse for my grand daughter. I am just about finished with it, just in time for Christmas.
I hope you enjoy yours as much as I am enjoying mine.

-- Steve: Franklin, WI

View Chris P's profile

Chris P

#7 posted 12-23-2013 01:34 AM

Just got the same saw! I haven’t spent much time with it ,my wife just had a baby so it might be a little bit before I put in some time on it and I will get a new blade for it as well. My first impression is very good for this saw,it’s my first bandsaw as well but so far I’m very happy with my purchase.enjoy!

-- Chris, Long Island

View RandyinFlorida's profile

RandyinFlorida

#8 posted 12-23-2013 05:31 PM

I have the G0555X on my wish list. I’m hoping the added cost of the cast iron wheels is worth it.

-- Randy in Crestview Florida, Wood Rocks!

View recycle1943's profile

recycle1943

#9 posted 12-25-2013 05:20 PM

I’ve done everything except hit the buy button. Darn near bought it from Amazon then found a link to Grizzly and it’s $400 cheaper from them. All I need is one more positive response and I’m all in.

-- Dick, Ohio

View Surfside's profile

Surfside

#10 posted 12-26-2013 05:21 PM

Congrats on your new band saw! You sound very happy with the saw. Great review! Enjoy!

View Tony Mirabella's profile (online now)

Tony Mirabella

#11 posted 12-27-2013 06:43 AM

I’m going to pick up the exact same machine from the freight company tomorrow…I absolutely can’t wait. Congrats on the new saw.

View Randy_ATX's profile

Randy_ATX

#12 posted 12-28-2013 03:05 AM

Shozzy – so after about a week of ownership, have you used this saw much, and can you report anything additional? I’ve been on the fence about purchasing this for about 5 days in a row. :-)

-- Randy -- Austin, TX by way of Northwest (Woodville), OH

#13 posted 12-28-2013 03:40 AM

So far no complaints at all regarding this saw, I actually purchased another viking blade for it today, its a 3/16 10tpi and you can cut tight radius corners with no problems at all. I also got a 4” – 2.5” adapter for the dust collector port so I can hook my shop vac to it and it works well. Made my first bandsaw box on it and it was a pleasure to use compared to my broken delta benchtop saw. I havent had the need or opportunity to resaw yet but will update you when I have a chance. I highly recommend this saw especially for the price. I have yet to see a comparable unit at this price and I havent seen anywhere on the unit where corners were cut.

#14 posted 12-28-2013 03:41 AM

Tony, have you picked yours up yet??

View Tony Mirabella's profile (online now)

Tony Mirabella

#15 posted 12-28-2013 05:23 AM

I did. Spent the better part of the afternoon getting it put together and set up. Simply put, I’m thrilled with it. It’s officially the nicest thing in my whole shop.