A Real Toolsaver

Review by Mark Davisson posted 12-21-2013 12:46 AM 1520 views 1 time favorited 15 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A Real Toolsaver No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this metal detector about 4 years ago when starting to recycle some black walnut trim from our old farmhouse. I could see some exposed heads of the old steel spikes but was concerned about what I couldn’t see, and I didn’t want my planer to be the first to know. It performed beautifully, finding several hidden spikes, and I ended the project with my planer blades unscathed.

This isn’t a tool I use often, but it has helped me on a few occasions to find nails in other salvaged wood and metal objects I had dropped in the grass. I’ve even used it as a stud finder, as it does a great job finding the drywall nails or screws.

The wand comes in a nicely padded carrying case. I remove the 9-volt battery after each use to prevent battery leakage within the tool, itself. I’m still on the original battery.

To me it was a wise investment of $35.

View mbs's profile

mbs

#1 posted 12-21-2013 02:24 AM

Some detectors are good at telling you there is metal in the wood but they aren’t specific enough to indicate where the metal is. Does it do a good job of pinpointing the metal?

-- Sorry the reply is so long. I didn't have time to write a short reply.

#2 posted 12-21-2013 02:57 AM

mbs, it does a good job of it. I wave the wand over the surface of the wood. When I get a beep I note the “line” along which the beep is heard – that becomes, if you will, the X axis. Then I rotate the wand 90 degrees and wave it back and forth and note the “line” along which the beep is again heard – that becomes the Y axis. Where the two intersect is the location of the metal.

I should also note that the sensitivity is adjustable. The higher the sensitivity, the farther the wand can be from the metal and still beep. At maximum sensitivity, then, you have a wider area in which the metal can be. So I’ll dial down the sensitivity once I’m onto something to narrow the width of the “iine” in which the metal can be found.

View mbs's profile

mbs

#3 posted 12-21-2013 03:00 AM

You convinced me to get one. Do you know the best place to buy it?

-- Sorry the reply is so long. I didn't have time to write a short reply.

View mantwi's profile

mantwi

#4 posted 12-21-2013 03:03 AM

Where is this tool sold? I have nicked my planer and jointer knives and considering the effort involved in sharpening and reinstalling them I’ll buy that $35.00 insurance policy gladly.

#5 posted 12-21-2013 03:04 AM

mbs, I bought mine at Harbor Freight. I believe I’ve also seen them on Amazon. They were designed, I think, with law enforcement in mind, so your neighborhood police supply store might also carry them.

-- I'm selfless because it feels so good!

View doubleDD's profile (online now)

doubleDD

#6 posted 12-21-2013 04:28 AM

I agree with you Mark. I bought one of these a while back and it does a fine job. Never had any other to compare it to but never had any problems with this one.

-- --Dave, Downers Grove, Il. When you run out of ideas, start building your dreams

View Matt Przybylski's profile

Matt Przybylski

#7 posted 12-21-2013 04:34 AM

I too have this as I got it on sale at one of their sales but haven’t used it yet as I don’t often work with recycled wood. It’s one of those things for me that I want available when I need it and not have to go out and buy it that day for regular price :). I never thought of some of the other uses you mentioned it for, very good ideas (especially finding metal objects in grass, I seem to always lose my nuts when working outside). Glad to hear it is working well for you. Thanks for the review.

-- Matt, Illinois, http://www.reintroducing.com

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#8 posted 12-21-2013 12:34 PM

I’ve thought about one of these for a while. Think it is time. In-store only, so not available from HF online. Here’s the link: http://www.harborfreight.com/9-volt-metal-detector-wand-94138.html

-- Paul, Tennessee, http://www.tsunamiguitars.com

View GaryL's profile

GaryL

#9 posted 12-21-2013 03:03 PM

I also have had fantastic results with this. Being able to plane recycled material without tearing up planer knives was well worth the investment.

-- Gary; Marysville, MI...Involve your children in your projects as much as possible, the return is priceless.

View carver1942's profile

carver1942

#10 posted 12-21-2013 03:53 PM

I NEVER put anything over my jointer, or through my planner without checking it with a metal detector. Metal can be found in any wood not just reclaimed lumber. It’s a quick and cheap test that can save you a lot of money and wasted time. If you can get a HF 20% off coupon, their model is a bargain.
regards Ed

View gsimon's profile

gsimon

#11 posted 12-22-2013 03:50 AM

I can’t believe I didn’t think of this – I’ve been very careful to date but I’ve ripped a few nails in half
I’m getting one for sure
Thanks for the tip
Greg

-- Greg Simon

View EvilRick's profile

EvilRick

#12 posted 12-22-2013 06:07 PM

#13 posted 12-23-2013 11:44 PM

Nice to know there is another tool from HF worth purchasing, Mark : )
Thanks for the review and Happy Holidays !

View Surfside's profile

Surfside

#14 posted 12-26-2013 05:24 PM

It didn’t cross my mind. I think I will need it. I’m officially considering to buy one.

#15 posted 12-28-2013 02:54 PM

I really need on of these. Thx for the reminder…