Veritas Wooden Plane Kit

Review by Woodbridge posted 247 days ago 3151 views 1 time favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Veritas Wooden Plane Kit Veritas Wooden Plane Kit No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Over the last 12 months, I’ve made a few Krenov style wooden hand planes and also collected and refurbished a number of old Stanley and Record planes. I now have a nice collection of number 3, 4,5,6, and 7 planes, all of them capable of cutting wispy shavings.

I am giving a presentation in the new year to the woodworking club I belong to on making wooden hand planes.
I noticed a few weeks ago that Lee Valley/Veritas has introduced a Wooden Plane Hardware kit with s Norris style adjuster. I thought this might be an interesting variation on a wooden plane to include in my discussion so I purchased the kit and built the plane.

I sometimes find adjusting the wooden plane using a plane hammer a bit tedious. I guess I have not quite figured out how hard to rap the plane with the right amount of force to get it adjusted as finely as I would like. So the Norris adjuster sounds like a good alternative.

The kit includes a set of clear and easy to follow instructions, a 1 5/8 inch wide x 1/8 inch thick A2 blade, a Norris style adjuster mechanism and the other bits of hardware you need to make a wooden plane. Making the plane was very easy. Fortunately I already had a body blank made up that was just about the right size. You need drill a couple of holes (fairly precisely) to locate the Morris adjuster mechanism , assemble the plane body, male a lever cap (which requires drilling one more hole), drill through the plane body to insert the brass cross pin and then assemble the plane. It all goes together fairly easily.

The plane worked well but I found it hard to hold the adjustments. I decided to insert a small dowel to create a pivot point for the blade and guide the blade when making depth adjustments. There is a bit of slop in the screw mechanism, but once you take this up it only take a slight turn to adjust the blade depth. The blade was flat and reasonably sharp. It cut pretty good straight out of the package and even but after a few minutes of honing.

Since the price for the blade and adjuster was just about the same as buying a blade for a wooden hand plane I think this kit is a good choice for someone who wants to make a wooden plane.

-- Peter, Woodbridge, Ontario

View Woodbridge's profile

Woodbridge

View CC's profile

CC

But where are the wings?

-- CC, Richmond Hill, Ontario

View Ripthorn's profile

Ripthorn

I believe that it is fairly common for a Norris adjusted plane to require more clamping force to hold adjustments than a wedge or Stanley style plane. However, I too am interested in this kit. Though I’ve got a couple ideas to spice things up, it seems like a great starting point.

-- Brian T. - Exact science is not an exact science

View lepelerin's profile

lepelerin

Thank you fro the review, I was considering getting one of these kit next year for my birthday.

View AaronK's profile

AaronK

1396 posts in 2091 days

thanks for the review… i am also interested in purchasing this kit. One thing that puts me off, however, is the thickness of the blade, or rather thinness. 1/8” seems rather thin. Do you experience any chatter with the blade, or is the wooden clampy thing (i forget the name ;-)) sufficient?

View Woodbridge's profile

Woodbridge

I’ve only used the plane on some cherry and pine so I can’t speak to using it on really tough wood. In these cases I did not experience any chatter.

-- Peter, Woodbridge, Ontario

View felkadelic's profile

felkadelic

Did you make it as the instructions indicate, or did you make any changes? I bought one of these kits myself and specifically, I was debating making it with a higher-angle bed (I was thinking 55-degree as opposed to the standard 45). As someone who’s assembled one, would you see any reason that wouldn’t work?