Easy and works

Review by Rick M. posted 12-18-2013 09:45 PM 1720 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Easy and works No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Disclaimer, this was a free sample I received many months ago.

Odie’s Oil is a mix of wax(es) and oil(s) that works like a friction polish but can also be applied to flat work. I don’t know exactly what is in it and it has a very distinct smell that I find pleasing. The claim is a little bit will go a long way and initially I tried applying with a paper towel and was disappointed, not only does the towel absorb too much of the finish but the paper sticks and leaves little fuzzballs. After talking to Odie he recommended I apply with my fingers and I recommend that method to everyone else. Applied with the fingers a little bit does go a long way which it has in common with homemade wax & oil mixtures I’ve experimented with. Whatever is left on your hand can be rubbed in like lotion, there is no sticky or oily residue and the lack of solvents means it is safe. On most woods there isn’t a significant difference between my own paste wax/linseed oil mixtures and Odie’s with a few exceptions: Odie’s doesn’t darken the wood any appreciable amount and does develop more of a sheen. After testing on cherry which is prone to blotching, Odie’s won hands down beating out oil/wax and oil/shellac. I’ve only tested it on projects that don’t get a lot of handling so I can’t really comment on durability but being an oil/wax common sense should guide you. Also being a wax/oil it likes heat and applying in cold weather can be a chore, the wax tends to congeal and the oil becomes very viscous meaning you’ll have to rub vigorously if not warmed first.

Price is $12.70 + shipping for 2 oz. (or $28.40 + shipping for 9 oz.)

View amagineer's profile

amagineer

#1 posted 12-18-2013 11:48 PM

Thanks for the review Rick. I will give it a try.
Don

-- Flaws are only in the eye of the artisan!

View JSOvens's profile

JSOvens

#2 posted 12-19-2013 04:41 AM

Thanks for the review, I am very interested in trying this product, but I was just curious about what lost the one star (other than the paper towel debacle, I didn’t really see any negative comments in your review).

Thanks!

-- Jeffrey S. Ovens, Canada

#3 posted 12-19-2013 08:59 AM

Yeah I glossed over a few things. For one I don’t like the way it skims over, this is a consequence of not having any solvents I suppose, but once you use up some of the product the top layer forms a semi dry film that requires some heat to melt back into the oil otherwise it will ball up during application. On a lathe it’s no big deal as the heat from spinning will warm it enough but on flat work it requires vigorous rubbing. The skim forms even in warm weather. This is the nature of the product but is something to deal with. Something I only touched on is that it’s a bear to apply in cold weather, the product, the wood, and the shop really need to be warm otherwise it globs up on the wood and becomes very tacky. One other thing I’ll mention is price, to my wallet it is expensive but I didn’t call this out because to another person it might be cheap so I just mentioned the price and let each person make their own decision. I’m sure Odie will say that a little goes a long way so in that respect it isn’t expensive and while I agree that a little goes a long way so does every wax/oil mixture. Lastly being oil based it takes a long time to dry (bottle recommends 3 days) at least compared to shellac which I normally use. Again this is something that many people won’t care about but I’m an impatient sort of fellow. That’s mostly an issue on flat work, on the lathe it dries much faster because I can crank the speed and friction cure it.

In the end it’s an excellent wax/oil product and Odie was Johnny-on-the-spot about answering questions and take it from me that he cares deeply about the product and people’s perceptions of it.

View johnstoneb's profile

johnstoneb

#4 posted 12-20-2013 02:40 PM

Thanks for the review. I will try it sound like it might be very good for lathe work. I’ve been looking for somthing different on the lathe.

-- Bruce, Boise, ID

#5 posted 02-04-2014 05:16 PM

Since my last comment the remainder of the jar has gelled (about half). I’m going to try warming it slightly to see if that will get it back to a usable state.