Very Handy Drill Guide

Review by brtech posted 12-17-2013 04:41 PM 2185 views 3 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Very Handy Drill Guide Very Handy Drill Guide No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve been meaning to write up this tool for a while. I’ve had it for a couple months and have used it maybe 7 times. It’s great. Solid hunk of real steel, drilled accurately. Has a V notch in the bottom to sit nicely on a dowel or other curved surface (or corners), and enough flat surface that it works well on flat stock. It’s really flat, sits solidly on flat stock. The center points of the holes are indicated with lines on both sides, so you can line up the hole accurately. Tall enough that even 3/8” goes in straight, but short enough that I can get a decent depth with the smaller bit sizes. Holes from 1/8” to 3/8” in 1/64” increments. There is a metric version if you want it.

I’m one of those guys that can’t seem to keep the drill straight on both axis at the same time. This lets me drill straight when I can’t use the drill press. I use a clamp – free hand doesn’t cut it for me.

Very nice tool, made in USA.

View brtech's profile

brtech

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#1 posted 12-17-2013 04:44 PM

looks like a well designed little gadget. made in the US is just a cherry on top

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View HillbillyShooter's profile

HillbillyShooter

#2 posted 12-17-2013 05:50 PM

Have to keep this in mind. I found this reference for place to purchase if anyone else is interested: http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/5989/drill-guides

View Rick M.'s profile

Rick M.

#3 posted 12-17-2013 06:33 PM

I had this on my ‘to buy’ list for awhile and never did. Thanks for the review.

-- http://thewoodknack.blogspot.com/

View oldnovice's profile

oldnovice

#4 posted 12-17-2013 07:10 PM

I have seen that and been wanting to buy one so now the reviews are in and there is no reason to put it off any longer.

-- "I never met a board I didn't like!"

View Greg..the Cajun Wood Artist's profile

Greg..the Cajun Wood Artist

5270 posts in 2059 days

#5 posted 12-17-2013 07:31 PM

I have had one of these since they first became available and use it a lot. I find it invaluable for drilling the 1/8” holes for the pin hinges on my boxes. I have used it hundreds of times.. This is one of those accessories that is worth every penny…and it is reasonably priced.

-- Each step of every Wood Art project I design and build is considered my masterpiece… because I want the finished product to reflect the quality and creativeness of my work

View RandyinFlorida's profile

RandyinFlorida

#6 posted 12-18-2013 02:13 PM

I see that Amazon has a complete selection of these…

-- Randy in Crestview Florida, Wood Rocks!

View MrRon's profile

MrRon

2985 posts in 1994 days

#7 posted 12-18-2013 05:52 PM

I have never heard of these Gator tools before. I have always made my own drill guides as needed. They also have tap guides that are a great idea. The price sounds reasonable, especailly when it’s made in America. I’ll have to get some. Thanks for the review.

View DeLayne Peck's profile

DeLayne Peck

#8 posted 12-20-2013 01:50 PM

Highly recommended from my experience. Use it all the time to drill scew holes. I hand hold it and rarely use a clamp. Stores in nice, pull-apart plastic container that can hang on pegboard. Mark your location and make a very shallow start with your drill. Slip the guide on and go. Consistently excellent results.

-- DJ Peck, Lincoln Nebraska. I think of my shop as Fritter City. I am the Mayor.