High Value

Review by Mark Davisson posted 12-17-2013 04:29 PM 1452 views 0 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
High Value No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this saw a couple of years ago. It was a $6 (+/-) purchase. I bought it not expecting I would use it nearly as much as I have. I’ve used it on all types of wood – rip as well as cross-cut. It has performed extremely well.

I recently found myself in a situation where I needed to make some cuts in concrete backer board, and this saw was the only thing in my toolbox that could do it. And the saw performed beautifully but, I have to say, the cuts trashed the teeth. So I’m buying another one.

It doesn’t look as cool as similar saws that cost ten times as much, but this saw at this price represents, to me, incredible value.

#1 posted 12-17-2013 05:30 PM

Where did you buy it?
I bought one at HF and it works quite well.

View Ben's profile

Ben

#2 posted 12-17-2013 06:57 PM

b2rtch, I have the one from HF also. Actually I have three now. They really do cut well. I keep one in my travel kit, one on the workshop wall and another new one stashed until I need it. The first one I bought is missing a tooth or three from hitting nails in old wood. It still cuts quickly and straight.

-- Welcome to downtown Coolsville, Population: US! --Hogarth Hughes

#3 posted 12-17-2013 07:26 PM

b2rtch, yes, I bought mine at Harbor Freight – ordered it online, actually.

#4 posted 12-17-2013 08:12 PM

Again and one more time : another HF gem

View Ben's profile

Ben

#5 posted 12-17-2013 11:13 PM

I love the little flush cut saw from HF too. Both are always close at hand in the shop and out.

-- Welcome to downtown Coolsville, Population: US! --Hogarth Hughes

#6 posted 12-17-2013 11:20 PM

Yes, the flush cut saw is also excellent

View waho6o9's profile

waho6o9

#7 posted 12-17-2013 11:56 PM

Good call on the saw Mark!

I made a carrying case for mine so the teeth don’t get messed up.

Japanese saws rock!

#8 posted 12-18-2013 12:05 AM

Hey, guys! When I ordered my Portland saw, it was to get my $ total up to a particular amount to qualify for free shipping or a larger discount (I don’t remember which). I just figured I’d give it a try. I remember that some of that order consisted of several of the Topman flush-cut saws that I was giving that year as stocking stuffers to a couple of my sons. I have two of them hanging on my wall in the shop.

Waho: I like the case!

View Eduardo Licona's profile

Eduardo Licona

#9 posted 12-18-2013 04:52 AM

I bought mine yesterday at HF

-- Eduardo Licona

View abie's profile

abie

#10 posted 12-18-2013 04:07 PM

Neat
I use plastic tubing to protect all of my saw blades
neat and compact.
you can also use plastic binder sleeves.

-- Bruce. a mind is like a book it is only useful when open.

View thesoninlaw's profile

thesoninlaw

#11 posted 12-31-2013 07:49 AM

I will have to try one out. I have a similar saw mfd by Irwin. It cuts quickly, smoothly, and easily. I couldn’t cut a straight line with it to save my life. I have limited use for it. I will try the one from HF.