My Early Christmas Present to Myself

Review by Woodbum posted 12-17-2013 01:32 PM 2556 views 0 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
My Early Christmas Present to Myself No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I recently purchased a new Grizzly G0604ZX jointer to replace an old 6” bench top jointer. This is my last upgrade to new tools from my old original shop tools that I have been acquiring since the mid 80’s. I am trying to get all of my major and most of the minor upgrades done before my retirement in 2 years when there will be no more checks coming in every 2 weeks. I wanted the 8” version, but a 76” fence just did not fit in my small shop footprint.

Since I picked the jointer up from the Springfield MO showroom while I was there on business, I did not have any shipping issues. No freight charge, but had to pay sales tax, which was about 7 bucks cheaper than shipping. Hey! I saved enough for a 6 pack and didn’t have to worry about some freight dock bozo dropping my machine. The process was simple and easy at the counter and at the warehouse where a guy loaded the jointer with a forklift as soon as I pulled up. It was in two boxes, the stand weighed in at 100+lb and the machinery at about 250lb. The weight helped since they were in the middle of an early winter snowstorm. I had enough traction that I didn’t need the 4WD in the 8” of snow. If you have never been to a Grizzly Showroom, make it an item on your “to do” list. Talk about a kid in a candy store! I usually spend at least two hours there just looking at everything. Budget enough time, cause it will be hard to leave. But leave your checkbook and credit cards at home, or you will have to drive to the poor farm when you leave. HA!

I am not used to working with help, so unloading it and assembling it was a slight challenge but manageable. I unloaded the stand box on a 4 wheel dolly and since it was at tailgate height, teed up the long machinery box on top after dragging it to the back of the tailgate (ugh) and rolled the whole thing into the shop. I muscled the machinery onto a work table and went to work. The fit and finish were good, and all of the mounting holes lined up and there wasn’t any assembly hardware missing! The instructions said to remove the back cover from the stand, but I would also recommend removing the front cover as well, unless your arms bend at unnatural angles. The assembly instructions were simple and straightforward, and I had the whole thing put together from unloading to startup in about 90 minutes. Some of that time was spent cleaning the cosmoline like shipping protection gunk off the machinery. Some mineral spirits, and rag in the box towels did the trick, with a final light coating of dri-lube. The infeed and outfeed tables were co-planar right out of the box, and all of the controls and parts movement work smoothly. The outfeed table was set at the correct height to the cutterhead too, so there was a lot of time saved not fiddling with table adjustments. One flaw that I found was that when started, the belt hits the belt cover slightly and makes some noise. That is very minor, and a belt adjustment will probably fix that. The spiral head makes the jointer incredibly quiet, not being much louder than my bandsaw, and quieter than my TS. I edge jointed some some 4/4 pine, oak and 8/4 ash, and ran some 5” wide oak through to surface at about 1/32” stock removal and the motor did not bog down. The cutterhead guard is a little finicky to adjust, but still manageable. Even with the swiveling kick down wheel and the two fixed wheels, the beast is hard to move around. Hope I don’t have to do that very often.

I gave the Griz 4 stars, ONLY due to unknown long term reliability issues. It really deserves 5 stars at this point. The value of the product quality v cost is really good for me, something that I have come to expect based upon my other Grizzly equipment purchases; which after several years would all get a 5 star rating. Plus their customer service is very good. It is a quality piece of machinery at a fair price, and the spiral cutterhead makes it an exceptional value at $1025. It even came with 5 extra cutterhead inserts. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a quality jointer for a fair price. If you are looking for good equipment at fair prices, and long term reliability, you owe it to yourself to check out Grizzly for large stationary machinery. They have a lot of small stuff too, but I can’t attest to the quality of everything they sell, but I have been very pleased with all of my Grizzly purchases. Check em out on line, or get a hard copy catalog that you will spend a lot of time perusing like we did as kids with the old Sears and Roebuck catalogs.

View grenger's profile

grenger

185 posts in 2024 days

#1 posted 12-17-2013 03:03 PM

nice…. did it fit in the chimney?

-- Gerry (the beginner), Gatineau, QC, Canada

#2 posted 12-17-2013 03:47 PM

The boxes did Gerry. As smoke!

#3 posted 12-17-2013 05:43 PM

I have the G0656X 8” Jointer with Spiral Cutterhead fits in a garage shop very well. griuzzly makes a very good tool and for the money ya can’t go wrong. All the major mfg’s are made in China or Tawain so what are you really getting if you buy something more expensive?

View lumbermeister's profile

lumbermeister

#4 posted 12-18-2013 12:40 AM

”Even with the swiveling kick down wheel and the two fixed wheels, the beast is hard to move around. Hope I don’t have to do that very often.”

I’ve owned this same jointer for 2 months now, except I have the standard 4 knife cutterhead. Re. moving it around, I have found it to be much easier when pushing in the direction of the kick wheel (kick wheel forward), so I rotate the machine to this position for each “leg” or travel within my small shop.

I think you will be very happy with this machine. Congratulations on your purchase.

View grumpy749's profile

grumpy749

#5 posted 12-18-2013 01:49 PM

Not all major manufactures are in china or Taiwan Mike. Check out the Canadian made General line of woodworking machinery. There factory is in Quebec and the quality is top notch. This is not to be mistaken for General International which is made off shore and quality is inferior. More money though.

-- Denis in Grande Prairie. Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mistery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.....Pink !

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

#6 posted 12-18-2013 01:51 PM

That is a beautiful jointer. Congratulations and Merry Christmas.

helluvawreck aka Charles

#7 posted 12-18-2013 02:21 PM

Thanks Charles! Lumbermeisterr and Woodmaker: Thanks for the validation. It always makes you feel better knowing that others have had good luck with a machine like the one you just bought. Merry Christmas and Happy Everything Else celebrated at this time of the year to all LJs out there. Hope you make out like I did for Christmas presents, which was just my lame excuse for buying a new toy.

#8 posted 12-18-2013 05:20 PM

I forgot to say my Jointer was an early Xmas present also. My wife is wonderful!

View Surfside's profile

Surfside

#9 posted 12-19-2013 10:05 PM

Nice jointer. Another additional beast in the shop! Congratulations!

View darthford's profile

darthford

#10 posted 12-20-2013 07:30 PM

Congrats that jointer looks sweet, love the tall fence. Surprised you guys are having difficulty moving it around mine (I have the G0490 8” with a Byrd Shelix) moves quite easily and I even wrapped some hockey tape around the swivel wheel because it was chewing into my garage floor. Have you checked to make sure they didn’t over tighten the wheel axle nuts?

#11 posted 12-20-2013 11:27 PM

yep, moving mine around is quite easy also, like it was said above check the torque on the wheel.

#12 posted 12-21-2013 06:15 PM

The wheels move freely. It is just that in a small shop like mine, there are a lot of three point turns to moving it around. With the fixed wheels, it is just hard to pivot in a tight space. It’s all good. Hell, I’ve lived with a lot worse things in various shops in the past 30 years or so. As a “corporate whore”, we moved several times and I had to reinvent the shop space every time.

#13 posted 12-28-2013 05:44 PM

I agree in a small shop one learns to pivot steer a lot! :-)

View dragondncr's profile

dragondncr

38 posts in 2087 days

#14 posted 12-31-2013 01:18 PM

I have the same jointer, and it moves easily

Pat