Doweling Jig Kit - Good Idea - Poor Quality

Review by Dan Tindall posted 12-16-2013 03:06 PM 1325 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Doweling Jig Kit - Good Idea - Poor Quality Doweling Jig Kit - Good Idea - Poor Quality No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

As a followup to my post in the project blog, I thought that I would post a review of this product. I’ve used it now to drill about 64 holes and I can say without a doubt that this product is a good idea that was not executed very well.

First, the “dial a size” portion of the jig is attached via a screw and cannot be tightend enough to keep it from wobbeling.

Next, the alignment markers are very hard to read and the jig was difficult to position on smaller stock.

The drill bits that come with the kit come with stops that didn’t work at all. They would not lock into place with the set screw regardless of how tight you make them.

I also noticed after about 10 holes that the guide hole was starting to show signs of wear and when i was finished with the 64 holes, the guide was no longer exactly 1/4” nor exactly round. I’m not sure what materials the guide was made from, but it clearly cannot stand up to a steel bit.

Overall, I would not buy another one of these and do not recomend them to anyone else.

View Dan Tindall's profile

Dan Tindall

View jim C's profile

jim C

#1 posted 12-16-2013 03:42 PM

Dan,
I bought one of those about 2 years ago. I couldn’t agree with you more. The round guide component is softer than the drills, so it wears quickly.
Overall it’s a badly manufactured product. I only use it sparingly.
Every tool I have looked at in the “General Tools” product line seems to be pretty bad from a manufacturing standpoint.
Since buying the “pro-doweling kit”, I steer clear of anything they make

#2 posted 12-16-2013 06:17 PM

I have had one of these for going on 20 years now. It was junk back then, junk now… I really ought to get rid of it…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View Rick M.'s profile

Rick M.

#3 posted 12-16-2013 06:17 PM

I don’t own one but most of their stuff is Lexan which is great for headlights but not so much for drill guides.

-- |Statistics show that 100% of people bitten by a snake were close to it.|

View RobynHoodridge's profile

RobynHoodridge

#4 posted 12-16-2013 07:29 PM

Pro tip – don’t buy anything with “pro” in it’s name. :)

-- Never is longer than forever.

View theoldfart's profile

theoldfart

#5 posted 12-16-2013 11:05 PM

Dan, got the same one a few years ago and would have been better off burning my money. I use an old Stanley # 60 guide. Works like a charm

-- "Aged flatus, I heard that some one has already blown out your mortise." THE Surgeon ……………………………………. Kevin

View TheOldTimer's profile

TheOldTimer

#6 posted 12-17-2013 01:28 AM

I had the same jig and could never get the mating holes lined up properly, after the first use I pitched it in the round filing cabinet never to be seen again.

-- TheOldTimer,Chandler Arizona

View FirehouseWoodworking's profile

FirehouseWoodworking

626 posts in 1939 days

#7 posted 12-17-2013 02:16 AM

I’ve got to agree with Kevin. There is nothing like an old Stanley Dowelling Jig. I own two and each of my sons has one. They are hard to find, though I have bought all of mine at auctions or off Craigslist. You can still find them for reasonable prices. Great tools. None better.

Cheers!