Handy tools everyone should have.

Review by Stormy posted 219 days ago 1629 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Handy tools everyone should have. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I finally had a real need to use the Dremel Saw-Max I recieved for Christmas last year. Had an entertainment center to cut down for a smaller area. I wanted to make the simplest cuts to remove height from the cabinet. A straight edge and my Saw-Max did the trick.

I was concerned that the abrasive type blades would not be able to cut cleanly without tearout, and may cause burning. Not to worry. This little guy is the best. I am more than pleased with the performance. I have now used it to cut 3/4 oak plywood, which is it max capacity. No problem, just take it a little slower and let the saw do the work.

I would recommend this as a must have tool.

-- Stormy: Sometimes the wood just tells you what it wants to be.

View Stormy's profile

Stormy

111999 posts in 2173 days

View dawsonbob's profile

dawsonbob

Thanks for the review. I have the Rockwell VersaCut which is a similar tool, and it’s been great. It only cuts to a depth of 1 1/16 inches, but its very handy, versatile, and makes a very clean cut.

-- Mistakes are what pave the road to perfection

Sounds like it was a great gift idea

-- Norman

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

Over a year ago I bought the Rockwell unit, and to be honest, to this day I wish I had bought the Dremel. Good choice.

-- Paul, Tennessee, http://www.tsunamiguitars.com

View Rick M.'s profile (online now)

Rick M.

Buddy of mine has one and is always praising it, keeps telling me I should buy one.

-- |Statistics show that 100% of people bitten by a snake were close to it.|

View oldnovice's profile

oldnovice

3578 posts in 1963 days

I also have the Rockwell Versacut, a present from my kids, as they know I have RA and just can’t control the 6” circular saw any more. I have been very happy with it except for the dust collection elbow as it broke almost immidiately. I called the customer service number and did get a replacement but not without a lot of explaining that the tool was brand new and where the elbow broke … it should not have been that difficult!

Some of these new Rockwell tools are not designed/built here in the U.S. but in Italy and Taiwan.

I have one of the oldest Dremel tools ever made as I bought it when I was in Jr. high (1959). It is an uninsulated single speed tool in which I have replace the bronze bearings with ball point bearings. Unfortunately it does not accept the same collets as the new tools.

-- "I never met a board I didn't like!"

View poospleasures's profile

poospleasures

Thanks for this review. Been considering this for a while and have now decided to go ahead and get the dremel. Probably won’t use for a long time but I want one anyway.

-- I love the smell of sawdust in the morning. Vernon

View danoaz's profile

danoaz

Can’t have too many toys…tools.

-- "Simplicity and repose are the qualities that measure the true value of any work of art." Frank LLoyd Wright

View MrRon's profile

MrRon

Thanks for the review. I was thinking about the Versacut until now.

View RonInOhio's profile

RonInOhio

I have to replace sub-flooring in several rooms. I needed a flush cut saw as the sub-flooring runs beneath wall
plates.

I ended up purchasing the Rotozip Rotosaw. It is very similar to this Dremel. However, on further review
I’m sort of lamenting not getting the Dremel instead.

The RotoSaw has 4 inch blades and has a variable speed control adjustable from 11,000 RPM to 30,000 RPM.
My understanding is the Dremel has one-speed. 17,000 RPM

The problem with the Rotosaw is the cost of blade replacements. They are unreasonably
expensive and usually have to be purchased online.

For the RotoSaw it is 18 dollars plus shipping for one flush cutting wood blade !
And that is one of the cheaper deals. I have seen them for as much as 25 dollars
plus shipping .

So essentially the blades are ~ 30%-50% cheaper for the Dremel. The blades for the Rotosaw
get dull rather quickly cutting MDF or material over 1/2 inch.

You can easily go through several blades flush cutting around one medium sized bedroom.

The Rotozip is doing the job , but wished I had researched the alternatives before making my purchase.
The cost of blade replacement is a major bummer, has sort of outweighed the pros for the Rotosaw .