Review by paxorion posted 12-15-2013 03:18 AM 1933 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A great alternative to the Jorgensen Pony, worth all $8 I spent for each fixture No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them
The HF 3/4” Pipe Clamp with Base fixture is probably the only of my many HF acquisitions that has never given me a problem. After discovering the inadequacies of F-style clamps in the greater than 12” range (too much flex), I took the road traveled by many a woodworker before me and began looking to pipe clamps. I began pricing out Jorgensen Pony pipe clamp fixtures and found them to be a bit more expensive than I had anticipated, so I took a chance and bought 1 fixture from HF ($10 + 20% off = $8). After the first 2 acquisitions, I also got 2 Jorgensen’s (from Ace Hardware for $9.50 each – details about this price in my review), and did a quick comparison. After threading on a pipe, positioning the clamp heads, and tightening down (slowly), my unscientific test showed no difference in the clamps doing what I want them to. All 4 clamps closed up the gaps nicely and kept my edge joining glue-up nice and tight. I do realize that the Bessey H-style pipe clamp fixture would likely be the better comparison, but after acquiring a total of 8 pipe clamp fixtures (4 HF, and 4 Jorgensen Pony), I’ve opted to not spend my money on any more pipe clamp fixtures. Any negatives that I can speak to are shared amongst both brands of pipe clamps that I have, such as:
  • Being heavy once the black iron pipe is added
  • Ease of marring the wood being clamped
  • Risk of staining the wood that is clamped
Given my less than favorable review of the HF F-style clamps, I want to address each of the points that made me dock points for the “HF F-style clamps”, and why these clamps deserve the 5-star rating:
  1. HF Quality control has little room for failure with these – Of the 4 fixtures I purchased (2 sight unseen from their website), none of my fixtures has disappointed me. The clamp screws in and out without any drama.
  2. I understand pipe clamps to be notorious at marring wood, so I always use cauls and wooden spacers with pipe clamps
  3. No signs of wear and tear. Note that the casting of the material does seem a bit rougher than my Jorgensen Pony clamps, but that hasn’t in any way affected the clamps equal standing in my shop
While I have since begun my parallel clamp collection, I think the HF and my Jorgensen Pony clamps will be used interchangeably when I exhaust my parallel clamps depending on the situation:
  • If I need to set the pipe clamps down to position the work pieces, I’ll use the HF
  • If the work piece is already stationary, I’ll use the Jorgensen Pony

-- paxorion

View paxorion's profile

paxorion

#1 posted 12-15-2013 04:43 PM

I also use and “love” these clamps, in fact I just bought two ore sets twodays ago with more spring clamps

View Grandpa's profile

Grandpa

#2 posted 12-15-2013 07:28 PM

I bought 10 HF clamps without the feet. I use them all the time. I feel like they use looser tolerances than the Pony clamps but they are still serviceable. Since I feel they don’t fit the pipe as tightly they will open at the top more than other brands but they still do a job for me. I pay more attention to make sure things are straight when using these clamps. I should be doing that anyway so I think it is probably a win/win

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#3 posted 12-16-2013 12:53 AM

Been buying these for about two years now. I own maybe six or seven. So far, not one failure and with coupons, the price can’t be beat. I almost always get the ones with the feet.

-- Paul, Tennessee, http://www.tsunamiguitars.com