Hitachi C10RA3 Review

Review by Edwardnorton posted 125 days ago 1625 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Hitachi C10RA3 Review No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have had this saw for sometime now and all I can say about it is for others not to buy one. I suppose my purchase of this is out of pure ignorance in serious wood working / hobby & crafting. I thought I knew tools since I had been a contractor for 30 years but boy O boy was I wrong.

First of all the miter gauge is an odd ball size which made building my table sled a real challenge. I also had a difficult time building a zero clearance dado blade insert for it because of the flanges and their different levels/heights made into the table itself. Then there is the short arbor which will not allow the use of all the blades/chippers in a normal dado set. after looking it said the arbor was 5/8” but it’s shorter than that.

Granted this is not a high end saw that costs $1,000 or more but come on, this is basic stuff in my minds eye.

The only advice I can offer to someone looking at one of these is DON’T buy it!!!!

-- EdwardNorton

View Edwardnorton's profile

Edwardnorton

View MrFid's profile

MrFid

That’s a good lesson to learn only once, by the way. I think that’s one that everyone with a background in construction learns in the beginning though. Figuring out which contractor grade tools are acceptable for fine woodworking and which are not was a challenge for me as well. This is where LJs can really help out. Best of luck with your new table saw search (which I am sure is happening as we speak :) ). BTW, I really would be very cautious running a dado on that saw; it’s not really meant to handle that sort of load if it’s anything like the contractor grade TS I started with.

-- Bailey F - Eastern Mass.

View Arminius's profile

Arminius

I think this entire class of saw is a stretch when it comes to using a dado blade. It can be done on some of them, but not that well and not on the smaller ones like this.

View patcollins's profile

patcollins

5/8” refers to the diameter of the arbor btw

View Mark Davisson's profile

Mark Davisson

Not that it necessarily makes a difference, but I believe Hitachi calls this a “Job-Site Table Saw” and not a “Contractor’s Table Saw.”

-- I'm selfless because it feels so good!

View Rick M.'s profile

Rick M.

Mark is correct, it is a jobsite saw; meant for rough carpentry and easy portability.

-- |Statistics show that 100% of people bitten by a snake were close to it.|

View Ben's profile

Ben

I have to say that while agree that this really isn’t a great saw, it is very serviceable little saw. I have one that I restored an entire house with. Lacking a miter saw, I also made all my angled cuts with this also. The included miter gauge is worthless, and I built 2 different sleds for it, a 90 degree sled and an adjustable miter sled. Built with this saw also. Personally, as far as these small jobsite saws go, I think it’s about average. You can do about anything on this with a little extra ingenuity and a good helping of patience. For dados, a wobble blade might be what you need, but on the few I’ve done with this, it was two cuts and a chisel.

-- Welcome to downtown Coolsville, Population: US! --Hogarth Hughes

If a tool meets your needs it is a good tool, if it does not then it needs to be replaced with one that does, and it does not have to be a $1000 tool to do so. Check craigslist and local pawn shops

-- Norman

View OldRick's profile

OldRick

Sorry your saw isn’t working out so good for you. The saddest thing to me is companies that do not use standard sizes for things like miter slots and such. I fail to see how proprietary sizing can translate into acceptable sales numbers since I’m sure they are limited on available accessories. And it is through these accessories that allow us to do a variety of tasks and not just cut a board in half. I think all tools probably have their pros and cons though but I have to agree with you that this is basic stuff. I also wonder about some of their color choices, too, but that’s a different can of worms. But hey…if the damn thing cuts reasonably straight and accurate I would be hard pressed to just throw it out.

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

This class of saw is meant for framers to rip dimensional lumber on site, and to get hauled around like a tool bucket.

They really are a one trick pony

Thinking that it’s appropriate for a woodworking shop is a mistake.

-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!

View Everett1's profile

Everett1

Lol

Dado set in a job site saw…

Break out your router

I have the Bosch portable saw, which wasn’t great with dadoes either. Got a delta 1946 from my mil

World of difference