Northern Tools has incompetent managers

Review by Mike posted 12-07-2013 12:05 AM 2467 views 0 times favorited 24 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Northern Tools has incompetent managers No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

A Rant on Northern Tools Phone Customer Service:

A product I purchased turned me from just wanting to know where my purchase was to being POed quickly. The agent that I was speaking to over the phone had told me that UPS had delivered my item to the USPS for delivery. Based on my UPS tracking number, it said this was done two days ago. I then asked for a status update as to when I should get my item since the USPS doesn’t take three days to deliver something from less than 40 minutes away.

The lady said that she didn’t know. I then asked if she could find out. She puts me on hold and tells me that she has the USPS tracking number. Great! I can now find out where my item is. I ask here if she could track it on the Postal Service website. “Oh I don’t know how to do that” she says. (Face palm) I ask her if she can find out how to so I can find out where my package is. Another hold.

“Well it should be there tomorrow…” she informs me.

“Are you sure?” I ask.

“Well no, but it should be there tomorrow.”

I am starting to get a little POed at this point. She has the tracking number and is now guessing as to when the item may be delivered…

I ask to speak to her supervisor since I figure she was new. She asks me to hold on and she places me on hold. Over 3 minutes later, the girl gets back on the phone and tells me the same thing as well as that her supervisor was sitting next to her. Well that’s all well and good, but I’d still like to speak to her supervisor since she is sitting right there. Seven requests later to speak with the supervisor after she keeps parroting the same thing I decide to hang up because I figured I wasn’t getting anywhere.

I called back in and was waiting for someone to pick up for over 5 minutes. (Horrible hold music by the way) A guy gets on the phone and I immediately ask for his supervisor. I’m placed on hold again for about 5 minutes. He pops back on the line and says he can’t transfer me to the supervisor since I wouldn’t tell him why I was calling. I tell him what is going on and he puts me back on hold again for an extended period of time.

Finally the supervisor conferences in on the call. She informs me that she had been the one sitting next to the first agent. I asked why she wouldn’t take my call. She starts raising her voice at me telling me since the first agent had told me what I needed to know. Now I am full on angry.

I tell her just to send me a return tag. She told me that she wouldn’t. (WTF) [sorry guys]. I don’t even want the item at this point and I will never do business with NT online. I should have just gone to the store to pick it up the day I ordered online even though it is 40 minutes away (oh the irony)...

End Rant

-- look Ma! I still got all eleven of my fingers! - http://www.termitecrafts.com

View Mike's profile

Mike

View Mark Davisson's profile

Mark Davisson

509 posts in 2063 days

#1 posted 12-07-2013 12:21 AM

I’m trying to remember the last time I tracked a package on usps.com. If I remember right, USPS doesn’t include an estimated delivery date, it only shows you where (and when) it has been and where it is currently.

Did the NT rep offer to provide you with the USPS tracking number?

-- I'm selfless because it feels so good!

#2 posted 12-07-2013 12:47 AM

I’ve never seen anything at NT that I couldn’t buy elsewhere for less.
Thanks for sharing your grief with us in the Tool Review Forum.
Would you like to hear about the experience I had with a manager at McDonald’s today ?

View jumbojack's profile

jumbojack

#3 posted 12-07-2013 01:02 AM

normally USPS does not give a date. I know when packages coming here hit the Main PO I get them the next day.

-- Made in America, with American made tools....Shopsmith

View Dabcan's profile

Dabcan

#4 posted 12-07-2013 01:17 AM

I’ve been waiting almost 2 months for a return box from Northern Tool so I can send back some defective products. Apparently UPS is going to deliver it any day now…. About 2 weeks ago they stopped replying to my emails, so now I’ll have to phone them, not too impressed.

-- http://www.craftcollective.wordpress.com

View dgage's profile

dgage

#5 posted 12-07-2013 01:24 AM

Thanks for the info. I’m looking into purchasing an Ingersoll Rand 2HP 20Gal air compressor and was wondering if I should order it through Sears or Northern Tool. Not that Sears is a huge step up in customer service but at least I have multiple stores to visit if I have issues. Thanks for potentially saving me some frustration.

View taoist's profile

taoist

#6 posted 12-07-2013 03:44 AM

UPS and Fed Ex both have started turning packages over to the USPS I guess because of the package volume this time of year. In my area, once USPS get the package it takes 2-3 days for it to show up at my house. I live about 5 miles from th main post office. All the info I have ever gotten from the postal service is in transit or out for delivery but that’s if I’m lucky, usually the is no tracking info at all.

View GOOD LUCK TO ALL's profile

GOOD LUCK TO ALL

#7 posted 12-07-2013 04:02 AM

I just received a package today from USPS they had given me a tracking # and the day of arrival.

As for the OP, kind of sucks to get treated like that, I don’t blame you for being mad.

View UpstateNYdude's profile

UpstateNYdude

#8 posted 12-07-2013 04:43 AM

I can tell you that my wife ordered something from Amazon using her Prime shipping (2 day) and it got transferred to USPS after 1 day and it didn’t get delivered for 3 more and they’re all of 10 minutes from my house and it was only a card game. All those government shutdowns on the postal service must be taking its toll because they suck even more now.

Albeit that agent sounds a bit slow not knowing how to enter a tracking number into the USPS site, I find personally most places are hit or miss on CS nowadays with sometimes it’s a good experience and sometimes I’d like to reach through the phone and choke whoever is on the other end.

On the upside you didn’t have to sit through a 3 hour diagnostics routine on a Dell server today with “Tom” as he “consults his manual for further information” to come to the same conclusion I had for him when I first called up.

-- Nick, “Discovering the truth about ourselves is a lifetime's work, but it's worth the effort.” ― Fred Rogers, Be My Neighbor

View REL's profile

REL

#9 posted 12-07-2013 08:51 AM

Mike and Dabcan, I must be from another world. Are you guys kidding me!

I owned my own business and am used to doing things for myself. I always choose the easy way and try not to rely on other people to do what I can do myself.

Mike why would you waste so much time on the phone? Wouldn’t it have been easier (and faster) to track the shipment yourself, and let the Northern agent do something more important for another customer? You would have saved a lot of high blood pressure all around.

Dabcan, couldn’t you have “found” a box to make the return shipment? Did you really send emails for two months to have Northern ship you a box?

-- REL, North Jersey

View REL's profile

REL

#10 posted 12-07-2013 09:08 AM

By the way, I just ordered something from Northern a couple of weeks ago. Thought I might return an item. Called and quickly received RAN , just in case I was going to return the item.

They were fast and professional as they should be.

-- REL, North Jersey

View ChuckV's profile

ChuckV

#11 posted 12-07-2013 12:16 PM

As others have said, the USPS tracking system is weak. It is especially bad with packages that arrive at the post office from another carrier, as in this case. Sometimes the package shows up at my house before the tracking is updated on the USPS web site.

-- “While the world with closed eyes sleeps, The sky knows and weeps - steel rain. ” ― Nathan Bell

View BinghamtonEd's profile

BinghamtonEd

#12 posted 12-07-2013 02:31 PM

I stopped ordering from NT after I tried ordering an in-stock (according to the website) item, and it took them almost 3 weeks to admit that it was never in stock when I ordered it. Same sh*tty customer service.

Nick, I don’t suspect that the government shutdown has anything to do with the delivery status. The USPS is an independent business, is not government owned or run, and does not run off the government’s dime (well, that’d be miine or your dime, wouldn’t it?).

-- - The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut that held its ground.

View Denco's profile

Denco

#13 posted 12-07-2013 03:44 PM

A few years ago, I bought an oil pumping can thing from NT. It failed out of the box (miserably) and wasn’t returnable since oil had been put in it, so I made an unfavorable review of it on the NT site to warn other potential buyers (no, not a rant nor foul language or anything crazy like that. I’m more professional than to do that, just stated a review of the item). Surprise, surprise… the review never showed up on their website. Decided that was my first and last purchase from NT. Too many good vendors to buy from without dealing with NT again.

-- Cut wood or cut weeds today.....well, 6ft weeds can go another week.

View UpstateNYdude's profile

UpstateNYdude

#14 posted 12-07-2013 06:34 PM

BinghamtonEd – I was referring more to the fact that they’re cutting staff and shutting down Post Offices in general nothing to do with the government shutdown.

View Rick M.'s profile

Rick M.

#15 posted 12-07-2013 07:50 PM

USPS has significantly upgraded their tracking system this year. Used to be it was next to useless but now it works just like UPS or FedEx with an expected delivery date and current location of the package. To check a tracking # just go to usps.com and enter the tracking# right below the USPS logo in the upper left corner.

-- http://thewoodknack.blogspot.com/