Porter-Cable Disk/Belt Sander

Review by Tony Strupulis posted 11-30-2013 08:27 PM 3068 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Porter-Cable Disk/Belt Sander No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this sander because I needed something that would sand at a true right angle. I have a couple other sanding stations that give me all sorts of problems sanding a square edge. This sander has large work tables that can be adjusted to be square to the sanding surface, but not right out of the box. Every time I would tighten the table angle, it would pull itself out of adjustment. This was very frustrating as I was working on a deadline and didn’t have time to troubleshoot the sander.

What I eventually discovered was that the mounting brackets on the work surface table were slightly splayed. As I tightened the hold down knob, it would pull the table out of alignment. My solution was to put shims under one of the brackets until it was square. After that fix, the sander works great.

Dust collection on this sander is very good. It has a 2” port which I hook up to a shop vac. It gets 95% of the dust.

Changing the sanding belts requires taking off some parts with a screwdriver. Kind of a pain, but not too bad considering how infrequently you have to change belts.

All things considered, this is a good sander and I’m happy with it.

-- Tony - http://ravensedgetoolworks.com

View Tony Strupulis's profile

Tony Strupulis

#1 posted 12-01-2013 08:51 PM

Thanks for the info, glad to hear it is working out

-- Norman

View Brad-Scott's profile

Brad-Scott

#2 posted 12-03-2013 07:02 PM

Good info. I have been debating on this very tool but the wallet will not warrant for a few months. I have seen some pretty negative reviews on it’s stamina at Amazon. Still looking at the little Rikon and that’s $140+. I actually need something larger. I will post on the existing tools in the shop which include the Rikon 10-325 and Bosch 4100 with TS3000, when I scratch out the time.
Thank you.

-- Brad~Scott

View EvilRick's profile

EvilRick

#3 posted 12-05-2013 12:28 AM

Does the sanding belt adjust to a horizontal position or is it always vertical like that?

View lew's profile

lew

#4 posted 12-05-2013 02:21 AM

I have this very model. I was less than thrilled when it failed after only a few uses (probably less than 1 hour total run time).
Sent emails to their service department but got no response. Decided to go the “Complain on Facebook” route. Got a call from the Service Department in a day!
They fixed it no charge. I was fortunate enough to be close to one of their repair locations. It took a couple of weeks to get it back- service guy said it was a bad relay. It acted like a bad starting capacitor.

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View Tony Strupulis's profile

Tony Strupulis

#5 posted 12-05-2013 05:55 AM

Rick – yes, the belt will go horizontal.

Lew – Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully, mine won’t have that problem.

-- Tony - http://ravensedgetoolworks.com

View CarterR's profile

CarterR

#6 posted 12-06-2013 07:34 PM

I have had this sander for two years and it has worked great. I feel like the dust collection could be better, but it is a sander so I guess dust is to be expected.

-- www.lowtideco.com

View EricLew's profile

EricLew

#7 posted 10-12-2014 08:31 PM

i just picked up one of these on CL for $50. Very happy since I was planning on buying it at Lowes for $179