Grizzly GO555LX 14" Deluxe Bandsaw

Review by woodmaker posted 271 days ago 3030 views 0 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Grizzly GO555LX 14" Deluxe Bandsaw No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Well, I have had this band saw for several months now and I am in love with it. I love the cast iron wheels, rack and pinion upper blade guide adjustment, and a T-square style fence. Smooth operation, no vibration, cuts like butter (new blade). I have cut everything from pine to cherry and walnut and no bogging down, no hesitations.
It’s a joy to use and a huge step up from my 9” band saw that I had. LOL!

I haven’t tried to re-saw yet, but that day is coming soon. ?

Assembly was quite easy actually, I just needed help getting the saw up on the stand, after that I could rock and roll putting it together. The instructions were easy to read, understand and follow. I installed the 6” riser kit which I must admit is not fun doing alone.

Dust collection actually is quite good, I was expecting more debris left in the saw but have hardly anything left. All I have to do is blow it out with the air hose and done. Overall my first impressions of this saw are very high, the fit and finish is very good and the design was well thought out. I find the saw easy to use and the rack and pinion upper blade guide makes adjustment very quick and easy to do. Having a quick release for the blade tension is also a nice feature.

The two things I don’t like are the fence and the blade guide adjustments. I think I’ll get a Carter Mag Fence and maybe upgrade the guide adjustments to a phenolic block type if they are available. I would prefer tool less guide adjustments, life would be so much easier.

View Tedstor's profile

Tedstor

Thanks for the review. My next BS will have cast iron wheels.
Let me know if you wanna sell the existing fence. What don’t you like about it?

woodmaker

The fence just seems flimsy.

View mantwi's profile

mantwi

I have the 555X Extreme and agree they are well made machines. The 1 1/2 hp motor is more than adequate and the fit and finish were far above what I would expect at the price. The upgraded fence on the model I have is very good and I suggest looking at it, it has a high and low capacity and works smoothly. By the way Tedstor it has the cast iron wheels you are looking for too. Great band saw and I have nothing but praise for Grizzly service.

woodmaker

Hmm, wonder why I didn’t get the upgraded fence, only had this a couple months or so.
Maybe I should call customer service?

View mantwi's profile

mantwi

The upgraded fence is standard on the G0555 X but it’s an option on the other saws in the series. The differences are the Extreme has a closed stand, 1 1/2 HP motor, cast iron wheels and the cast iron fence system with an aluminum attachment that gives you 6” of height for resawing. The extruded attachment is like a uni-fence and can be used in either the high or low configuration. It cost about $140.00 if purchased as an accessory so you might want to look at the Magswitch resaw fence instead. It runs around $25.00 and will do the same job at a fraction of the cost.

woodmaker

Yep, looks like I’ll be getting a Mag fence for sure, thanks mantwi for the info.

View Surfside's profile

Surfside

Great review! Thanks for posting. Have you tune it up yet?

woodmaker

I’ve done some adjustments after it has run for awhile, nothing major, just recheck the table, fence and guides, but that’s all.
Purring like a kitten.

View facecarver's profile

facecarver

That looks like about the same fence system that came on my 14” Powermatic.I also am gonna buy a mag fence. The rail it rides on is also in the way for my circle jig and sled….Came with Carter bearing guides,and the extension.and completely happy with it other than that.Good blades is the key to easy bandsawing also.

-- Dennis Stallings; I am what I am,And that's all what I am...

View jumbojack's profile

jumbojack

You will love the mag fence. I played around with fences for two years. Never was happy with them. I got a gift card for Woodcraft and bought the Carter. Love it.

-- Made in America, with American made tools....Shopsmith

woodmaker

I’m hoping Ms. Santa brings me the new fence or at least a gift certificate. :-)

View Alongiron's profile

Alongiron

I have that same saw. Use the Wood Slicer blades from Highland Woodworking. They cut like butter and last along time. I also made myself a tall resaw fence that fits over the top of the other. I have resawn up to 8” QSWO using a 1/2” blade….no problemo!! Enjoy!

-- Measure twice and cut once.....

woodmaker

Alongiron I haven’t resawed yet but the day is coming soon.