Foredom TH 1/3 hp flex shaft tool?

Review by PatrickB posted 11-28-2013 02:08 AM 1815 views 1 time favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Foredom TH 1/3 hp flex shaft tool? No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I love this tool. I use it quit a bit for a variety of odd jobs but mostly for sanding and some filing. Right out of the box I was impressed, the motor feels substantial in my hand, beefy even. Everything was well packaged and no damage evident. I also purchased the right angle grinder kit at the same time. I have some sanding drums for it too. I do not have a hanger for this but I would highly recommend getting the hanger although it’s not an absolute. I set on my bench top sometimes because it is just easier and it will roll a little at start up from the torque. I have used this mainly to teach myself gun stock carving , hence the right angle grinder. I do not have one complaint about this tool. I plan on adding other accessories in time and I will update this review then. This is a 5 star tool in my opinion. Unfortunately 3 gun stocks have gone via the garbage can but the tool never made a hiccup while running it.
Pat

-- Really? Really? How important is it?

View PatrickB's profile

PatrickB

View doordude's profile

doordude

#1 posted 11-28-2013 02:34 AM

what purpose is this tool vs. a dremel? or carving by hand? a nice tool though.

View Rj's profile

Rj

#2 posted 11-28-2013 10:48 PM

The durability and quality of this tool surpasses the Dremel by a long shot. What I like about it besides the other mentioned aspects are you can control the speed with the foot pedal and remove a lot of material as needed (or as little) with no fatigue like you might get from doing it by hand plus you don’t have to sharpen and or hone your tools . If properly maintained it should last 20 times longer than a Dremel.

-- Rj's Woodworks,San Jose & Weed Ca,

View gfadvm's profile

gfadvm

#3 posted 11-29-2013 03:35 AM

I own 3 of these and they are nearly indestructible! Two are used on horses teeth at the clinic and one is used in the shop. My only negative experience is the foot control: there is very little travel between very slow and wide open. A dial rheostat would be more user friendly for me.

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

View Rick's profile

Rick

#4 posted 11-29-2013 06:08 AM

I Have a Similar One. They really Chew It Away When you want to. Love using it!!

Very Versatile piece of equipment. Will do Many Functions. I have both of the Hand Pieces 1” & 1/2” with different size Collets for different size Cutters, grinders etc.

-- COMMON SENSE Is Like Deodorant. The People Who need It Most, Never Use It.

View RichTes's profile

RichTes

#5 posted 12-04-2013 04:48 PM

I have a DD which is a benchtop version with a stand, so someone could get that from the start if they don’t want to hang. I bought mine used and it works great, but the #30 handpiece needs bearings and is the old press fit type so that will be a bit of a project.

Rich