Quick Review of a Great Little Cyclone!

Review by WoodJitsu posted 143 days ago 3622 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Quick Review of a Great Little Cyclone! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Like every other woodworker, I owned a Habor Freight 2HP dust collector. It served me well in its stock form, but I knew it was leaving lots of fines floating around my small shop and I needed to either upgrade it or buy something new. I looked at all the options with the filters, baffles, etc, but I came to the conclusion that for a few extra bucks (ok, more than a few) I could really upgrade. So I took the plunge and bought the Grizzly cyclone. My concern was the the CFM, I’ll address that later. Ordered Monday, received it Friday. First thing to note, this sucker (heh) is heavy. Assembly was easy, with the only hard part of lifting the motor/shroud unit up once the stand was assembled. I did it by myself, but would recommend a friend if you have one handy. My only complaint about the construction of this cyclone was the fact that it was easy to over torque the bolts and the embedded nuts in the stand would turn. Had to be careful when tightening. Otherwise, this thing is built like a tank. I wasn’t sure what to expect, but the build quality of this DC has far exceeded my expectations.

So you’re saying “Yeah, that’s great and all, but how does it perform compared to the HF DC?” Well… as I mentioned earlier, I was nervous that I was downgrading CFM with this purchase. I didn’t. In fact, it’s MUCH stronger than the HF. Few things to bare in mind here. A) MY HF was bone stock, so I’m sure the CFM was limited compared to a modified unit. B) I have no scientific method of testing them other than feeling the suction side by side. C) The new one was more expensive, so it has to better, right :) But seriously, in my opinion, the Grizzly out performs the Harbor Freight by a noticeable amount. I’m currently running a 6” to double 4” adapter. Without the 4” adapter, the 6” opening pulls like crazy. I would love to pipe the shop in 6”, but I think that’s beyond my space capability.

I had read that this will trigger a 20A circuit with the 6” opening. Mine didn’t. In fact, I’m running my TS and this collector on the same circuit. I start the DC first, then power on the TS and have not blown the breaker. I plan to run another 20A for the DC, but for now, it all works on the same one (I was surprised by this!)

Remote works great and is so handy to have. I was always lurching over to turn on the HF, so this is a welcome upgrade.

I do have 1 complaint (other than the bolt issue) It’s louder than the HF. Noticeably louder. It whines like a turbine and is a little annoying since it’s at close proximity to my TS and Jointer. No problem, I’ll just throw on the hearing protection when needed, but I wish it were a little quieter.

This was my first major Grizzly purchase and I’m very happy with the product. I had almost spent a few hundred more on the Laguna, but I’m glad I didn’t. Now I can put that money towards my next purchase, a grizzly jointer. If you’re on the fence, get off it and get one of these, your lungs will thank you!

-- Family, Friends, Jiu Jitsu, Woodworking. Order varies daily!

View WoodJitsu's profile

WoodJitsu

View PSUmike's profile

PSUmike

I’m glad you’re happy with this. I’ve been meaning to pickup a dust collector, and I’ll take your review into serious consideration when I do.

I’ve got a 6” Grizzly jointer, and I’ve been completely happy with it thus far. It’s absolutely my favorite tool.

View darthford's profile

darthford

I’m a member of this fan club club

View ellen35's profile

ellen35

2545 posts in 1933 days

I too am a member of the “fan” club. I’ve had mine for close to a year. I really bought it because I wanted the filter clean out handle on top. I was tired of taking my HF apart to clean the filter. This really has much more suck than the HF.

-- "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." Voltaire

Nice review, thanks for the information. That unit has a tempting price point.

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

Glad to hear you’re happy with the DC.

Just a couple points to note (and no I’m not bashing HF, so all the HF fan boys can settle down… as I love HF and own plenty of their tools).

Frst, a “true” 2 HP Induction motor wired for 110 volts will pull 14 amps at max power, and the starting surge will trip a 15 amp. breaker. So how do companies (Sears TS, HF DC, Shop Vac, etc….) sell their 2, 3 and even 5 HP machines with 15 amp circuit plugs on them. Easy, they play games with the HP rating. You’ll find that these machines are closer to 1.5 or 1.75 HP.

So while many companies play games with “peak HP” ratings (where the take the max. amps seen on starting surge and use that number to calculate the HP) I’ve found that Grizzly advertises a “true” HP rating. And that’s why anything they sell that’s rated over 1.75 HP is wired for 220 volt only.

Second, your side by side comparison is not an apples to apples comparison. You would need to hook the HF up to a cyclone pre-filter like a Thien top hat. The Grizzly appears to pull harder in your side by side, but it’s pulling through a cyclone which adds resistance to flow (head loss), where the HF doesn’t. So advantage HF.

But the Grizzly has a lot more surface area in the pleated filter than the HF does in the bag, so advantage Grizzly.

I’d like to see a side by side with a suped up HF with a Wynn pleated cartridge filter and a Thein Top hat.

But then again, some guys want a DC and not a DC project :^)

-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!

View darthford's profile

darthford

I hear you Matt, I put a Fluke on the Grizzly when it randomly tripped my 20 amp 220 volt breaker and at start-up it was sucking like 60 amps then steady at 18 amps. I wired everything up to a dedicated 30 amp breaker and have been good to go.

View bigfred's profile

bigfred

I have a new grizzly dust-collector to be delivered this wed. i’ll post more on it later.

View 680's profile

680

The only dust collection I have is a little shop 1.5 HP shop vacuum. I own a Rigid 4512, router table with a 7518 and a chop saw. My space is one bay of a 3 car garage, I have noticed how much dust accumulates after a day of woodwork. I read through Bill Lintz’s information on DC and it concerns me because I plan on doing this for a long time. I am restricted to 110 for power. I guess I could have 220 set up professionally if I need to. Do you guys think it is overkill to use this piece of equipment for DC on the aforementioned equipment?