If our looking to buy a new mitersaw consider this one

Review by Sawdustmaker115 posted 11-26-2013 06:53 PM 3385 views 0 times favorited 18 comments Add to Favorites Watch
If our looking to buy a new mitersaw consider this one No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I got this saw about 3weeks ago, and let me just say i love this thing!!! it’s definitely a manly saw.
first off it has a TON of power i just cut a 3×3 blank of hard maple no problem what so ever, and I’ve been using the blade that came with it (12’‘x1 60 tooth) to my surprise the blade is actually a decent one. I really like the slider action on it it’s nice and solid. The miter stops and scale are dead on, as for the bevels they needed a “little tuning up” which is easy with this saw, theirs an adjustment screw for the stop at 90 degrees and both +/- 45 degree stops. I just used an angle cube to dial in the angles. I also like the fence design it’s real nice for both crown molding work and for crosscutting long boards to length. So the way this works is that it has a flipping part on both sides of the fence which folds up to make the fence nice and tall to support really large crown molding and it folds down to make the fence much longer to support long pieces to be cut. The laser on this saw is great i love this feature (never new what i was missing with my old saw) you can adjust the laser to go on either side of the kerft or anywhere in between. As i said the miter scale is dead on(this is why i needed the new saw after 3years of fighting with my old one i just said I’m getting a new one because i had to re adjust the angle with a try square every time i made just even on cut) this saw if you set the angle it stays at that angle. Another thing i like about the saw is that it has micro adjustment knobs on it, it has two of them one for the bevel and one on the miter. Now the micro adjuster on the bevel is a joke!! don’t bother with it. But the micro adjuster on the miter is great real nice for getting that “perfect” angle. and this is another place were the laser is nice if you have a line on your wood at an angle and don’t know what it is, just line up the laser to the line scribed on to the wood, now you know what angle it is, sweet!. Now for the down sides of the saw, i already mentioned about the micro adjuster for the bevel, also i think they could have down a better job with the depth stop (which I’ve been using a bunch to make half laps and doing dados and rabbets), the other negative thing i can think of is the fact that it can only cut a total of 12’’ from the fence at 90 degrees, i saw that dewalts 12’’ sliding mitersaw had a capacity of 16’’, also (no big deal for me) is the weight of this monster let me say it’s an elephant i know if i was the dude who had to carry this around from place to place i would hate it but lucky it’s a saw for the shop so it sits on a cart so i never have to lift it, and in fact the extra weight is nice for a bench top application (like mine) because it stays put.
So all in all this is a great mitersaw the reason(s) for 4 out of 5 stars is because of the depth stop, this saw really is nice with its belt driven 15-amp motor, and it’s solid i’d say its made cheap were it can to make it more economically priced and good were it needs to be. In my opinion the only saw i would consider next to this one is Festool’s 12’’ saw(but then again I’m not a millionaire either) gotta love Festool but hate the price lol So yeah this is a nice solid 12’’ compound slidding mitersaw with dual bevel and a laser for a good price. if you have any further questions about it let me know. hope this review was helpful. :)
Here’s a link to Hitachi’s website here you can view a video of this monster.^^^

#1 posted 11-26-2013 07:50 PM

I looked at this saw quite a while ago, I did not buy it because of its size, it is huge.

View JustJoe's profile

JustJoe

#2 posted 11-26-2013 10:25 PM

No price, so it’s free?

-- This Ad Space For Sale! Your Ad Here! Reach a targeted audience! Affordable Rates, easy financing! Contact an ad represenative today at JustJoe's Advertising Consortium.

#3 posted 11-27-2013 03:31 AM

Hahaha only you joe.
If it’s free you better ran as fast as you can to your local lowes
Even if you have to jump over the table saw and accidentally cut yourself, the point is get the thing!!

.....nope :( they made me give up 400 bucks for it :( lol

View lumberjoe's profile

lumberjoe

#4 posted 11-27-2013 05:03 AM

I actually just looked at this last night. I agree with Bert. This thing is ungodly massive.

-- www.etsy.com/shop/KandJWoodCrafts

View woodsmithshop's profile

woodsmithshop

#5 posted 11-27-2013 03:10 PM

A sliding miter saw that only cuts 12”? my old Ryobi with 8 1/2” blade will cut 12”, sorry but with that much blade and the cost of a 12” blade, I would hope to cut more than 12”.

-- Smitty!!!

#6 posted 11-27-2013 04:07 PM

Any one who need a 12”should look at the Harbor Freight one.
I bought a Makita which has as much or more cross cut capacity than a 12” has the foot print of a 10”
I thing the model number is LS1016.

View Rick's profile

Rick

#7 posted 11-27-2013 10:21 PM

Just In Case Anyone would care to look at this Right Side Up.

This is it.

(NO Offence Intended)
88888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

Also. If your looking for a Good 12” Multi Purpose Blade For this Saw or any other 12”. This one might be a good bet.

My Mitre Saw is a 10” and I have 3 Different types of “Freud Diablos” and I’m Pleased with them all.

-- COMMON SENSE Is Like Deodorant. The People Who need It Most, Never Use It.

View MT_Stringer's profile

MT_Stringer

2004 posts in 1921 days

#8 posted 11-28-2013 12:21 AM

I have one and still use the factory blade. I do have another blade (Diablo 96 tooth) but haven’t switched yet. I like the depth stop for making quick and dirty dadoes. One reason I bought the saw was to get it closer to the wall. Not as close as the Festool but closer than my old miter saw.

-- Handcrafted by Mike Henderson - Channelview, Texas

#9 posted 11-28-2013 02:29 AM

Looks scary sharp to me, glad to hear it has worked out for you. Love the miter station, looks great

-- Norman

#10 posted 11-28-2013 04:43 AM

Thanks rick now we all don’t have to get a sore neck looking at it!
Posted from my phone sorry i intended to fix it but got busy in shop. Also rick i most always use dewalt blades, but I’ve been hearing alot about diablo blades i will consider it.

-smitty, yeah i know ONLY 12”!! But it makes up for it in the depth of cut, just the other day i cut some crown molding that was abot 4-3/4” tall with no problems, really nice saw for that.

-MT_Stringer (Mike ? ) (my bad sorry). Really nice set up, man!!
One thing you should consider, maybe box in the saw to help with dust collection, I’d seen a set up similar to yours and he boxed in the saw, ill get back to that.I’m going to try out putting a frame around the cart to help with my dust collection, only thing is though it will only suck up the real fine dust, and the chips will be left behind, ill just put a hinge on the one side so that i can open it up every now and then to vacuum it out. If anyone has a better suggestions please comment, I’m still planning this.

#11 posted 11-28-2013 04:53 AM

Here’s a link to another post on here about miter saw stations.
(in the comments)(3rd one down)

#12 posted 11-28-2013 05:13 AM

Oh almost forgot happy Thanksgiving to all.
I never remember these things lol

View planeBill's profile

planeBill

#13 posted 11-28-2013 09:20 PM

the museum bought the same saw and it is a beasty. We cut the entire bottom worth of 2” thick SYP planking and some 4” stock for the forward staving and this machine just ate it up. Nice tool for sure.

-- I was born at a very young age, as I grew up, I got older.

View Dedvw's profile

Dedvw

#14 posted 11-29-2013 02:31 AM

I own (and love) this saw. It might have a massive frame, but the overall footprint is fairly small. It has great power, large capacity, cuts great and is a bargain price. I bought mine for $360 (400 with a 10%off coupon). I refer to it as the best saw in its price range.

View MT_Stringer's profile

MT_Stringer

2004 posts in 1921 days

#15 posted 11-30-2013 05:13 PM

@sawdustmaker…I got busy makin sawdust and haven’ t got around to making a shroud. :-(

-- Handcrafted by Mike Henderson - Channelview, Texas