Heavenly Performance

Review by maplerock posted 275 days ago 2768 views 2 times favorited 15 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Heavenly Performance No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have been struggling with my table saw. It was not a joy to use. Although it is a dream of a saw (unisaw 36-953), the performance was lacking. The effort I needed to push boards through was far more than should be necessary. I had my blades sharpened (Freud Diablo and another carbide tipped blade) and had no noticeable improvement. I bought a new combination Orion blade. It was better, but not good enough.

I noticed the blade and table were a little out of alignment. After fixing that it helped more, but still not buttery smooth, and frequent burn marks on the wood.

I researched a while and decided to buy either a Forrest WWII or a Tenyru combination blade. I decided to go with the Tenryu on the recommendation of a Woodcraft employee. Ordered from Amazon for $86, it was about $40 cheaper than the Forrest.

After using it a few weeks, I could not be more pleased. It makes rips smooth and cross cuts too. Minimal burning, and smoooooth edges. I think it makes my tablesaw a lot safer and the performance is awesome. I’m not saying it’s better than the Forrest, I know it is a great product. I’m just saying that this blade works like a charm for me!

-- Jerry... making sawdust in the Knobs of Southern Indiana

View maplerock's profile (online now)

maplerock

112008 posts in 2201 days

Thanks for the Review Jerry

View Roger's profile

Yes, thnx for your review Jerry.

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View scarpenter002's profile

scarpenter002

Thanks for the review Jerry.

-- Scott in Texas

View lanwater's profile

lanwater

I have been debating getting a tenryu for a while but I wasn’t sure if it was better that the rest.
I think you provided the push I need.

-- Abbas, Castro Valley, CA

View zindel's profile

zindel

Thanks for the review! the price must have jumped after you bought it on amazon as its not $94. i was wondering if there was any differences between this blade and a forrest and stumpled across a blog by the wood whisperer you can read it here.

-- If you can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

View Kaleb the Swede's profile

Kaleb the Swede

Hey Jerry I just got the same blade a few months back. It’s a beautiful blade. I use it for all of my hardwood cuts. I throw the freud 40 tooth on when I’m doing plywood or some other junk.

I’ll second your review and say that if anyone is considering it, do it. It’s a really great blade

-- Just trying to build something beautiful

View b2rtch's profile (online now)

I believe that you might have a set up issue with your saw,as I have the same saw with a 3 HP motor and I use either a Freud or an Irwin blade to cut 6×12” beams in two passes and it goes like in butter.

View natenaaron's profile

natenaaron

I have their metal cutting blade and love it. Great company

View CyberDyneSystems's profile

CyberDyneSystems

I have been VERY happy with this brand of blade. They are top quality tools.

Using the correct blade for the work at hand can be a huge improvement.. and that does mean more than one blade.
I notice you mention a 40 tooth Diablo,.. these are terrible blades for many operations, and good blades for others.

You MUST invest in a good low tooth count RIP blade to keep even the best saws (and wood for that matter) from being needlessly over worked.

Use a 24 tooth rip blade for rip cuts, and you will notice any saw (in our shop it’s a 5HP 3 phase) breath a sigh of relief.
The very affordable Feud Diablo 24 tooth RIP available at Home Depot is a good blade if that’s what you use it for,. but the thicker industrial Glue Line Rip is even better.

View Binn's profile

Binn

Jerry,

I have both brands of blades , would not buy another Forest blade not worth the price. They dull to quick ,where the Tenyru last longer with smoother cuts. I have 4 Tenyru blades for different cuts, they make a 80 tooth blade for cutting melamine that works fantastic without any chipping. I need to send them to Tenyru to get sharpen soon. The blades from Forest don’t last and the kerf is to thick eats to much wood. Just don’t like them. That’s my take on it!

-- Barry, Louisiana

View maplerock's profile (online now)

maplerock

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your comments. I do need a rip blade… and now that I’ve found a blade I like, I do not want to overuse or misuse it.

-- Jerry... making sawdust in the Knobs of Southern Indiana

View b2rtch's profile (online now)

Barry, did you try Freud blades for melamine?
I had very good results with them.
Is the Tenryu much better?

View Surfside's profile

Surfside

Nice review. Thanks for posting this.

View whit's profile

whit

Thanks for the review, maplerock. And I have to agree with you; I LOVE their blades – especially with a stabilizer added to the mix.

-- Even if to be nothing more than a bad example, everything serves a purpose. cippotus

View Binn's profile

Binn

Bert, I’ve used several brands and I find the Tenryu the best. You don’t get any chip out very clean cuts. I like staying with one brand for my work which ever does the best. Freud makes very good blades for a lot of reasons but when it comes to Formica or Melamine I will only use Tenryu.

-- Barry, Louisiana