Great OSS, competes favorably with much costlier floor standing models.

Review by CyberDyneSystems posted 11-14-2013 05:42 PM 2850 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great OSS, competes favorably with much costlier floor standing models. Great OSS, competes favorably with much costlier floor standing models. Great OSS, competes favorably with much costlier floor standing models. Click the pictures to enlarge them

I picked up my Jet JBOS-5 Oscillating spindle Sander used for a good price in very good condition. Other than some signs of use, it works likes new, so I believe I have a good example.

Acoustics: The first thing I noticed was how quiet this machine is. OSS (good ones anyway) are some of the quietest sanding machines you can use already. (think about it, most sanders are very noisy!) This tool surprised me as it is even quieter than a very large floor standing unit I have.

Power: The next surprise was that despite the smaller size and lower HP rating, this is about all the OSS most could ever need. My floor standing unit is a solid cast iron 1 HP Porter Cable S1 made in the 1940s during WWII. For size comparison consider the fact that the PC weighs in at over 350 pounds, and has a giant 7/8” by 9” tall steel spindle onto which the smallest rubber sleeve one can mount is 1” diameter. Obviously with a huge 3” diameter sleeve, the Porter Cable is a very powerful machine indeed. It was therefore quite impressive to me that in use, with the 2” Jet spindle installed, the JBOS-5 was impressively competent and in fact almost competitive with the much larger Porter Cable.

Dust Collection: The factory dust port on the JBOS-5 is very effective. Attached to my small shop vac, it was doing a sterling job of keeping the air breathable while I sanded a rosewood replacement tote for a plane. I had no clean up to do after the job was done. Very effective! I have seen on line a Mod that someone did that reportedly makes the dust collection even more effective, but I’m hard pressed to see a need as yet since it was working so well in the stock form.

Flexibility: The table tilts to 45 degrees, there are numerous size spindles ranging from tiny 1/4” diameter up to an optional and pricey 3” spindle (costs about $80.00 additional) With these spindle options, this bench top unit is now a far more flexible tool than my venerable Porter Cable.

Convenience: There are tool holders built in for the spindles and table inserts, keeping all your parts easily accesible and organized. Power and dust collection port are easily accessible.

Value: Hovering around $500.00 street price for the model with all but the huge 3” spindle, this is a great value OSS, competing well with floor models that cost two to three times as much. There are much more affordable machines on the market now, including a fairly ubiquitous model sold under a half dozen brad names for around $200.00, but I am confident that for many this much more robust system will be appreciated.

Recommended! Yes, this powerful, affordable flexible OSS is an asset to my shop. I fear it will see much more use than the beefy Porter Cable at this point. I was a bit surprised to see that when I went to post a review of the JBO-5 that there are as of yet no reviews on Lumberjocks. My research showed this to be a very popular mid range OSS, top in it’s class. Use has shown this to be true.

Photos: I will endeavor to upload some more useful images later. :-)

View CyberDyneSystems's profile

CyberDyneSystems

#1 posted 11-14-2013 05:48 PM

I really like my Jet tools. I wish they would add an oscillating belt sander in this price category.
I would have trouble giving up my Ridgid oscillating belt sander because it is so handy when chamfering tenons.
It would be nice to have something more durable though.

#2 posted 11-14-2013 08:56 PM

‘It would be nice to have something more durable though.”?????????????

How durable do you want your sander to be?
I have my Ridgid for many years, and I bought it used, and it still work like a champ.
I would say that has it already is very durable.

View BenI's profile

BenI

#3 posted 11-17-2013 01:57 PM

Thanks for the review. I’ve been looking into getting a oscillating spindle sander down the road and wondered if this was worth it.

-- Ben from IL

View jonah's profile

jonah

453 posts in 2045 days

#4 posted 11-17-2013 09:18 PM

Is have a hard time justifying the extra ~$325 this one costs over the Ridgid one I have. I use mine infrequently though, so I suppose depending on your usage it could be worth getting something beefier than what I have.

I’ve never done something with mine that I wished I had a bigger or more powerful machine.

View RockyTopScott's profile

RockyTopScott

#5 posted 11-17-2013 11:16 PM

Good review. I would like to have one of these.

-- “When you want to help people, you tell them the truth. When you want to help yourself, you tell them what they want to hear.” ― Thomas Sowell

View Diwayne's profile

Diwayne

#6 posted 11-18-2013 08:33 PM

Most of my shop is equipped with Jet Tools. I do also have the rigid tho. they both do great work.

-- What one man can do, another man can also do.

View dhazelton's profile

dhazelton

#7 posted 11-19-2013 05:10 PM

I bought the JET lightly used for $300, so it was a no-brainer to me over the RIGID. I first tried the Harbor Fright but it was dead out of the box. When I opened it up to check the wiring I saw that the motor was really dinky and plastic gears. It went back. The Delta BOSS was next on the list but it’s known for needing capacitors in the motor constantly. The JET is metal gears in an oilbath, a metal housing and rock solid, so that explains the price difference.

View zzzzdoc's profile

zzzzdoc

#8 posted 11-24-2013 04:02 PM

Maybe I’ll have to try my Festool vac instead of my cyclone. My cyclone does a very poor job of dust collection with it, IMHO. That being said, I very much like mine.

-- Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

View DrDirt's profile

DrDirt

#9 posted 01-30-2014 07:02 PM

I have the same sander and really like it – especially the rock solid top
I bought the 3 inch drum and that is actually the one I use most… except during pinewood derby time.

-- "If we did all the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astonish ourselves." Edison