Wood Owl Tri-Cut Auger Bit

Review by CL810 posted 259 days ago 2202 views 2 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Wood Owl Tri-Cut Auger Bit No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased this bit from Traditional Woodworker to bore holdfast holes in my workbench.

It is by far one of the best drill bits I’ve used. I was drilling holes in a 4.75” thick cherry using my drill press at 500 rpm. The bit pulled itself through the board effortlessly and the holes are perfectly smooth. Same results in maple.

-- "It's amazing how much can go wrong when you think you know what you're doing."

View Handtooler's profile

Handtooler

Five Stars, huh? Thanks for the information. We can always use quality tools .

-- Russell Pitner Hixson, TN 37343 bassboy40@msn.com

View bobasaurus's profile

bobasaurus

I thought auger bits were meant for braces and other manual drills… were there any problems using it in the press, like too fast of a feed rate as the bit catches? If not, these look great for dog holes.

-- Allen, Colorado

1918 posts in 1590 days

Allen, you’re probably right but I don’t have one. I clamped the cherry to the drill press and at the lower speed it did fine. I used a variable speed hand drill on the maple and it was a little hard to control but it worked out.

View lysdexic's profile

lysdexic

Did you have enough travel in drill press to drill in one pass or did you have to come at it from the other side?

-- It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it's the pebble in your shoe. - Muhammad Ali

1918 posts in 1590 days

I have 6” of travel so one pass is all it took.

View terryR's profile

terryR

Thanks for the review, Clayton, been looking at these and wondering if they were worth the price?

6” of spindle travel on your drill press? I’m soooo jealous! LOL.

-- tr ...see one, do one, teach one...

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile