Wood Owl Tri-Cut Auger Bit

Review by CL810 posted 11-12-2013 01:47 AM 2808 views 2 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Wood Owl Tri-Cut Auger Bit No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased this bit from Traditional Woodworker to bore holdfast holes in my workbench.

It is by far one of the best drill bits I’ve used. I was drilling holes in a 4.75” thick cherry using my drill press at 500 rpm. The bit pulled itself through the board effortlessly and the holes are perfectly smooth. Same results in maple.

-- "The only limits to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today." - FDR

View Handtooler's profile

Handtooler

#1 posted 11-12-2013 02:05 AM

Five Stars, huh? Thanks for the information. We can always use quality tools .

-- Russell Pitner Hixson, TN 37343 bassboy40@msn.com

View bobasaurus's profile

bobasaurus

#2 posted 11-12-2013 03:23 AM

I thought auger bits were meant for braces and other manual drills… were there any problems using it in the press, like too fast of a feed rate as the bit catches? If not, these look great for dog holes.

-- Allen, Colorado

#3 posted 11-12-2013 03:37 AM

Allen, you’re probably right but I don’t have one. I clamped the cherry to the drill press and at the lower speed it did fine. I used a variable speed hand drill on the maple and it was a little hard to control but it worked out.

View lysdexic's profile

lysdexic

#4 posted 11-12-2013 03:50 AM

Did you have enough travel in drill press to drill in one pass or did you have to come at it from the other side?

-- It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it's the pebble in your shoe. - Muhammad Ali

#5 posted 11-12-2013 04:05 AM

I have 6” of travel so one pass is all it took.

View terryR's profile

terryR

#6 posted 11-12-2013 03:24 PM

Thanks for the review, Clayton, been looking at these and wondering if they were worth the price?

6” of spindle travel on your drill press? I’m soooo jealous! LOL.

-- tr ...see one, do one, teach one...

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile

TopamaxSurvivor

#7 posted 11-14-2013 05:52 AM

-- Bob in WW ~ "some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence