Great Read for All Woodworkers

Review by BigDawg posted 11-11-2013 02:10 PM 4299 views 0 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great Read for All Woodworkers No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I originally ordered the book, Hybrid Woodworking by Marc Spagnuolo because I have been an avid reader of his website, The Wood Whisperer, for years and I wanted to support him and his efforts to educate us all about woodworking. What I found, was book that I simply could not put down. Marc’s instructional style of prose is very readable and informative. Having watched virually every video that Marc has produced on his free site, and having been a Guild memeber for a couple of years, I really didn’t expect to get much “new” information. Boy, was I wrong. The volume is chock full of ideas, explanations, tool history and comparisons that help to guide any woodworker down a path of “hybridization”. Marc really covers all the bases of tool and technique choices, design options and power/hand tool combinations very well. I would reccomend that you order a copy for your woodworking library right away.

-- Shawn DuGay, Wallingford, CT

View BigDawg's profile

View helluvawreck's profile

18762 posts in 1906 days

#1 posted 11-11-2013 02:14 PM

Thanks for the review. I like his work and probably should read it.

helluvawreck aka Charles

View Scott's profile

#2 posted 11-11-2013 03:37 PM

Nice. Did those start shipping yet? Pre-ordered a few months ago and haven’t heard (or been paying enough attention to) when the release date was.

View poopiekat's profile

#3 posted 11-11-2013 03:40 PM

What exactly IS hybridization?

View Ottacat's profile

#4 posted 11-11-2013 03:44 PM

What exactly IS hybridization?

This is just Marc’s term for using both power tools and hand tools in hobby woodworking. In other words what about 80% of us already do. He basically articulates a set of tools and practices for using each to their best advantage.

I have pre-ordered the book but haven’t received it yet. I know you can be the e-book version and get it right away. I’m looking forward to getting it.

View natenaaron's profile

#5 posted 11-11-2013 07:21 PM

Hybrid is a buzz word, nothing more. It is used so much it has become meaningless.

I think I will wait to see a few more reviews before buying. I just don’t consider the author to be a “hobby” wood worker. Decent teacher…I guess.

View Mark Davisson's profile

Mark Davisson

#6 posted 11-11-2013 10:49 PM

I tend to agree with you, natenaaron. Marc has created a niche for himself, and I do applaud him for that.

-- I'm selfless because it feels so good!

View BigRedKnothead's profile

#7 posted 11-13-2013 04:33 AM

BigDawg- Thanks for the review. It sounds like a book I would enjoy.

-- "At the end of the day, try and make it beautiful....because the world is full of ugly." Konrad Sauer

#8 posted 11-13-2013 09:30 AM

Thx for the review. I too have been a big fan of his. I bought his woodworking apron and love it. I need to order this book as I forgot to when it was offered a while back. Thx for the reminder.

View thewoodwhisperer's profile

#9 posted 11-13-2013 08:35 PM

Thanks for the review Shawn! I’m glad you’re enjoying the book. As a first-time author, this whole process was very new to me and very different than the “made for the internet” content I typically produce.

For those wondering about their pre-orders, we are starting to ship books this week. We’re a very small operation with a lot of orders to fill, so it’s going to take a while before we get all of these pre-orders out the door. But folks should start receiving their copies any day now.

People who ordered from Popular Woodworking will most likely receive their orders sooner since PopWW gets the books first.

-- For free video tutorials and other cool woodworking stuff, check out

View tombuhl's profile

#10 posted 11-13-2013 11:43 PM

I have the book on pre-order and am looking forward to spending some time on it. Being a long-time reader/watcher of Marc’s presentations I am not anticipating any major revelations, however, I continue to be surprised at seeing something from a fresh perspective on most of his Guild videos. At times, it might actually be new to me, more often, it is a case of me being ready to process that information based on recent work/challenges of my own.

I’d say, if you enjoy Marc’s presentations and “voice,” you’ll gain value from this book and enjoy the process. However, if you do not have a strong sense of “I like his style,” you can probably find equally beneficial information from other books, magazine articles or blogs.

We all have our own comfort zone. Even before I came to know Marc better, I felt that his voice was that of a knowledgeable friend. So I will watch/read his content even if the specific subject does not feel new or especially intriguing at that time. I certainly appreciate the effort he puts in to creating quality material for those who follow along.

-- "When you are not sure where to begin, lead with gratitude."

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile

#11 posted 11-14-2013 06:06 AM

-- Bob in WW ~ "some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

View jacob34's profile

#12 posted 11-15-2013 02:58 AM

I pre ordered the book and am looking forward to it. I have always felt that Marc has a good way of breaking it down into terms that make sense. thanks for the review Shawn

-- so a bear and a rabbit are sitting on a log

View Dave's profile

#13 posted 11-18-2013 03:57 PM

-- Superdav "No matter where you go - there you are."