Delta dust collection, 2nd stage.

Review by rtb posted 2234 days ago 4110 views 1 time favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Delta dust collection, 2nd stage. Delta dust collection, 2nd stage. Delta dust collection, 2nd stage. Click the pictures to enlarge them

Since my comment on the origional entry I have received requests to show and explain my hookup for cyclone type lid and can. pic.1 shows the DC conected to the planer and the joiner. Each has a seperate blast gate. Since they operate in opisite directions the conecting hoses are never in they way. To me the key is the light gray hose. its very stiff and high quality. It also comes with the DC. Since the direction of the intake is changeable, in this type of configuration ‘up’ is a must. The black hose hose is the cheapest I could find online but I don’t remember where I bought it. Since it is only used in short lengths plugging has not been a problem.. when moving it is suspended from the hangers. The gray on the end is stiff enough that it slides ove the hard plastic conection and stay put without any clamp, a real time saver. The two arms supporting the ‘can’ which I salvaged(the arms not the can), but could easily be made from angle iron or aluminum. I have read many complaints about the fit of these lids to the cans. I suspect that most of them came from people who would rather complain than think. This can is the “brute” by rubbermaid, and came from either Lowes or HD I’m not sure which but is readily available. Fit is not even a question, and when turned on its so tight I probably could not seperate the two. It appears to block the on off switch but in fact since I have added remote controol that switch is always in the on posistion. (pic 3) I feel that this set up gives me all the advantages of a two stage DC for a fraction of the price. All together the entire set up including the remote was somewhere in the area of $100.00 and frankly I will probably never up grade even If I won the lottery. NOTE these hangers are NOT the ones sold for $4-5.00 to hang 4” DC hose on. They are the ones sold to hang PVC pipes on and cost about $1 +/- so if you can live with the white….. ALL SPELLING ERRORS ARE ACTUALY TYPOS AND SINCE WE HAVE NO SPELL CHECKER TO IDENTIFY THEM MUST BE TAKEN AT FACE VALUE.

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

I have the same lid, except I use a steel trashcan. Works great.

Again I have a dust collection system on my wish list and this one looks pretty good. Thanks for the review.

View BANick's profile

BANick

Nice setup, rtb. Where did you get the lid ?

-- Nick, Fremont, CA.

rtb

nick, probably rockler but they are readily available from many differant sources.

View cajunpen's profile

cajunpen

Nice review RTB. You actually do have a spell check mechanism here. If you misspell a word it will have a red line under it. When you see the red line you simply right click on it the word and you will see some options – one of which should be the correct spelling. Hope this helps.

-- Bill - "Suit yourself and let the rest be pleased." http://www.cajunpen.com/

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

Thats a great idea, to tag the can to the DC stand. When I finnaly get one i will have to remember that.

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

View Bob #2's profile

Bob #2

It looks like it works but why does it drag wood chips into the plastic bag?
It a separator is doing its job that should be minimal at best.

p.s. if you are have trouble with “typos” give this free program a try.

Bob

-- A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner

rtb

Bob#2 I have re read my entry and am not certain where your question came from BUT it works extremly well and dosen’t drag chips into the dust bag and also leaves no dust in the shavings.