Oneway Talon Chuck

Review by ic3ss posted 11-10-2013 09:37 PM 2163 views 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
Oneway Talon Chuck Oneway Talon Chuck Oneway Talon Chuck Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought a used Jet 1236 lathe about a year ago, my first lathe and my first time turning since high school. I watched all the youtube videos I could find and I saw quickly that the way I did it in high school with faceplates is a drag compared to using a scroll chuck, so I saved some money and last month I took the plunge.

I chose Oneway over Nova and the others for one simple reason: the shape of the jaws. On the Nova, the quarter round shape didn’t account for different diameter stock as the jaws were opened. The further they open, the steeper the corners became to the wood. I just want to grab the wood, not destroy it. The oneway jaws are shaped with a relief curve so the edges don’t dig into the wood. It also has 5 ribs that bite the wood but don’t go very deep. I’ve been using it for a month now and have had no issues with it, it’s a great, solidly built chuck that does it’s job very well.

I think Oneway as put a lot of thought into the design of the chuck and I know that I made the right choice.

Thanks for looking,

Wayne

View ic3ss's profile

ic3ss

1 comment so far

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#1 posted 11-11-2013 11:55 AM

Years ago, when I bought my Powermatic 3520, I added a Oneway Stronghold. It has been a horse and yes, the jaws are correct.

-- Paul, Tennessee, http://www.tsunamiguitars.com