Two cherries bevel edge chisels

Review by arthurbvb posted 244 days ago 2422 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Two cherries bevel edge chisels Two cherries bevel edge chisels Two cherries bevel edge chisels Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have had these chisels now for over a year. It was my first set so I have little to compare. On the picture there are only 3 chisels but I have three others. I don’t use the big chisels as I find them awkward to use. I have used the chisels a lot and enjoy working with them.
It took me 20 minutes to flatten the back, first sandpaper, then diamond stones, then auto polish on MDF. I sharpen them on diamond stones and then on a leather strop with flex cut gold (paul sellers method). I never use a grinder as I have none. I also don’t no the bevel angle as I sharpen free hand.
They take a keen edge and keep it long. I can chop two or three mortises before I have to re-sharpen. The edge retention is however comparable to the wooden chisel which I rescued from my father who used it as a paint opener.
The chisels are nice and long which make it easier to judge if your perpinducular. The handels are large and very comfortable only a tad ugly.
The sides are a little bit thick but no problems here with dovetails.
I know nothing about which steel is used but they do rust.
I would definitely buy them again. They are reasonably priced and I think they will last me a lifetime. I only think that 4 chisel would have been sufficient.
I gave it 4 stars because the sides are a bit thick and the handles will never win a beauty contest.

View arthurbvb's profile

arthurbvb

View rad457's profile

rad457

Heard they were good Chisels, looked at them before I bought the Stanely SW.
I do have some Krischen gouges which are great.
Very nice Dovetails!

-- Andre of Alberta. Finger Prints show your hands were on the wood.

View ic3ss's profile

ic3ss

I have a few of the ones with a horbeam handle. I’ve had them for a few years and they’re still my favorite.

Wayne

View HillbillyShooter's profile

HillbillyShooter

I have a pretty complete set of the two cherry chisels—from 1/8” to 1-1/2”. I acquired mine back in 1997 when they still had hornbeam handles. After flattening the backs and sharpening, they are my number one, go to set. I got a set of Lie Nielsen chisels but never opened them because I can’t find any fault with the two cherry set.

View ScaleShipWright's profile

ScaleShipWright

I have a vintage two cherries and I consider it one of my favourites

-- God exists... But relax, He's not you!

View Rick M.'s profile

Rick M.

I’ve read about 50/50 good and bad about Two Cherries, thanks for the good review. Nice dovetails too.

-- |Statistics show that 100% of people bitten by a snake were close to it.|