Actually Does Remove Rust Stain

Review by HillbillyShooter posted 11-10-2013 07:54 PM 3378 views 7 times favorited 24 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Actually Does Remove Rust Stain Actually Does Remove Rust Stain Actually Does Remove Rust Stain Click the pictures to enlarge them

Some time ago, and without going into details, water got onto the out-feed table of my PowerMatic 60 long bed jointer. I use TopCote (now made by Bostik) on a regular basis to protect my tool tops, but it didn’t help prevent the rust or remove it. I was able to get the “red” rust off with steel wool and Boeshield T-9 Rust and Corrosion Protection. However, a black/gray stain remained which I couldn’t get off. This stain is shown in the second picture above.

Recently I learned about a product made by Empire and call TopSaver that is advertised as a “Rust Remover/Lubricant/Surface Sealer/Conditioner” and “Removes and inhibits corrosion and rust.” Sounded good, so I ordered some on the long shot that it might remove the black/gray stain that is an irritant every time I use my jointer.

Surprise! As you can see in the third photograph above, the use of a little elbow grease with a Scotch Brite pad and the Empire TopSaver removed the offending stain. There remains some evidence of corrosive pitting which you can see if you look closely in the third photo.

Over all I’m extremely pleased with the product and will keep some on hand for any future eventuality.

View patron's profile

#1 posted 11-10-2013 08:04 PM

good to know john

i got some of that residue on some tools too

View Jim Jakosh's profile

Jim Jakosh

#2 posted 11-10-2013 08:18 PM

Thanks, John. I will have to get some. After I got a new Grizzly jointer our hot tub leaked and turned one of the tables brown with rush. I got it cleaned with steel wool but there still is pitting. Do you think it will do any good on that?

View davidroberts's profile

#3 posted 11-10-2013 08:33 PM

Excellent review. I’ve considered buying it many times but never pulled the trigger. Thanks for the heads up!

-- Better woodworking through old hand tools.

#4 posted 11-10-2013 08:44 PM

David & David—Hope this helps you make a decision if you need it now or in the future.

Jim—It doesn’t cure the pitting beyond the abrasive effect of the Scotch Brite, but it sure cleans it out and eliminates the stain. I would think that the pitting will require emery cloth or some other abrasive to level it, but you’ll need to be careful not to damage the levelness (is that a word?) of the bed.

View poospleasures's profile

543 posts in 1906 days

#5 posted 11-10-2013 08:58 PM

Thanks for the tip. Good job.

-- I,ve had amnesia for as long as I can remember. Vernon

View Hawaiilad's profile

#6 posted 11-10-2013 09:14 PM

Thanks for the info, I think we all can use that from time to time

-- Larry in Hawaii,

#7 posted 11-10-2013 09:22 PM

Thank you for the review. I could use some of that on my 1950’s Powermatic 60 jointer.

View whitebeast88's profile

#8 posted 11-10-2013 09:48 PM

thanks for the review,i have a jointer that needs a little tlc.i will try some.

-- Marty.Athens,AL

View luv2learn's profile

#9 posted 11-10-2013 10:05 PM

Thanks for the review John I will be getting some of this.

-- Lee - Northern idaho~"If the women don't find you handsome, at least they ought to find you handy"~ Red Green

View SirFatty's profile

#10 posted 11-10-2013 11:22 PM

I have need of that.. table saw top. Thanks for the review!

-- Visit my blog at

View Roger's profile

19714 posts in 2226 days

#11 posted 11-11-2013 12:37 PM

Gr8 review John. That looked like a nasty, and this product did a fine job cleaning it up. Thnx for your review.

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Keep your dust collector fed.

View Gene Howe's profile

Gene Howe

#12 posted 11-11-2013 12:52 PM

Thanks, John.

View GeneR's profile

#13 posted 11-11-2013 01:10 PM

Thanks for the review I didn’t realize so many people have not used that. I have been using it for over a year and that stuff is awesome but very caustic and everyone should wear safety gear when using it. I also find that when it is all dry if you put a good thick coat of the Boeshield T9 then you will have little problems and makes cleaning your castIiron surfaces much easier.

Great review and good info for everyone.

PS You Suck! I really want a powermatic jointer but stuck using my 30+ year old craftsman. Lol

-- Failure is always an option. :-)

#14 posted 11-11-2013 02:05 PM

Thanks to everyone for looking and taking the time to comment or favorite.

As several of you indicated you might be looking to purchase this product, I feel I ought to mention I had a hard time locating it and finally found it at Wood Tech Enterprises, Inc., P.O. Box 2226, 15-19 Khristy Scott Ln., Fairview, NC 28730, 828-628-4414. I purchased the Tool Saver Kit that contained 5 sample size bottles of their various products, but you can check out their website (Google the name).

My best to everyone, and remember to take a moment and honor Veteran’s Day and those special members or our armed forces who gave everything!

P.S. GeneR—If it’s any consolation, my jointer is 17-years old, but it proudly displays an American flag stating “Made in America”.

View brtech's profile