Shop Fox W1410 - get one while they last

Review by Garry posted 260 days ago 2407 views 1 time favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Shop Fox W1410 - get one while they last No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I just (Nov. 9, 2013) got a Shop Fox W1410 fence for my Craftsman tablesaw at a great price. I took a chance even though it has been discontinued because it has great reviews from those who have one. ToolsandMore.us in Florida still has some (I don’t know how many). Call them to confirm. Previously priced at $250 plus, they are selling them now around $145 plus shipping. [Note – This is not the same company as toolsandmore.com.]

I mounted it yesterday and used it for several cuts today. It was easy to mount after I drilled and tapped holes in my table. As all the other reviews said, the drill and tap (3/8”-16) provided were useless. It will fit any tablesaw with a 27” deep table. I only needed to square up the fence a little which was pretty easily done.

It glides smoothly on rollers that straddle the horizontal edges of the angle iron rails. The rollers have a groove that runs on the edge of the rails. The front rollers are widely spaced to keep it square. The single back roller has substantial spring load to keep the front rollers tight to the rail so it stays square. At first it wasn’t real smooth but a little sanding on the rail edge fixed that.

When the lever is pushed down it clamps down rock solid. I couldn’t budge it with reasonable substantial force at either end. It seems well made and I would expect it to last a long time. The large front rollers are knurled so you can use either for fine positioning. A self-adhesive tape is provided for accurate positioning without measurements.

Unfortunately, the manufacturer is discontinuing it to focus on the Beisemeyer type fence (per sales rep at toolsandmore). Although it’s fortunate for me since I got a good buy on it.

-- Garry, North Carolina woodworker and engineer - The journey you're preparing for has already begun.

View Tugboater78's profile

Tugboater78

Sounds good, not sure if i can jump on it but i will take a look would like to upgrade fence on my cman saw.

-- Justin - the tugboat woodworker - " nothing changed me like the first shnick from a well sharpened, decent hand plane"

View JayT's profile

JayT

2089 posts in 812 days

I have the same fence on my C-man contractor saw. Love it most of the time. The only issue is that the motor hits the rear roller of the fence when doing bevel cuts, making it impossible to do some.

-- "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis de Tocqueville, 1835

Garry

JayT – I see how that could be a problem with one of the older model table saws. You might be able to clamp an extension to the fence to serve in those situations.

My hybrid model has the motor within the cabinet so no restrictions on fence travel.

Steve Cherry

Nice review Garry; I also have an older Craftsman TS and would like to replace the fence. Question – how do you attach an auxiliary fence like if you want to use a dado blade partially buried in a wooden auxiliary fence; the OE craftsman fence has a couple of holes in the side where you can slide in a couple of screws and tighten them down from the other side. Do you use the T track somehow? Thanks for the review

Garry

Take a look at the manual. You can find it pretty easily online. They provide direction on which parts of the fence you can drill and tap to attach a wooden fence face. You could also use a fence clamp to attach it.

Steve Cherry

Garry; thanks for the info on the auxiliary fence; I got mine last week and am trying to mount it onto my Craftsman TS today. There are instructions in the manual for attaching an auxiliary fence. The mounting holes on the rear fence seem to line up bolts underneath the table; guess that’ll take some fiddling.

Garry

I drilled and tapped all new holes. It was easier than working with the Craftsman bolts and nuts. It was easy to tap the cast iron table. Pay attention to the vertical placements to make sure it aligns under the miter slots. After adding my router table on the right side, I had to cut part of the rear fence away for the router table miter slot.

Steve Cherry

Got the holes tapped ok and the fence is mounted, just needs to be adjusted. My Craftsman TS has the metal extension wings on each side – I guess I’ll have to drill holes in the fence rails to bolt the extensions onto since they don’t have any extra holes for that purpose.