Gilmer Wood Company

Review by Andre posted 11-08-2013 07:07 AM 2912 views 0 times favorited 15 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Gilmer Wood Company No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Just got back from Portland Or. with some Doussie 8/4 planks. Could not believe the stock they
had, price was fair in my opinion $10 bd/ft. Was a little concerned about crossing border back into
Canada, but no problems at all. I have bought a large amount of exotic woods on line which was
shipped by post with no problems except cost! Anyone interested in some really nice wood, be sure
to check out Gilmer’s in Portland.

4538 posts in 2048 days

#1 posted 11-08-2013 10:31 AM

#2 posted 11-08-2013 04:30 PM

Thanks, I live here and didn’t know about it.

View darthford's profile

darthford

#3 posted 11-08-2013 08:41 PM

I no longer shop there as their price is generally through the roof compared to other sources.

View redryder's profile

redryder

#4 posted 11-09-2013 05:25 AM

This company actually has a pretty good web site which is about a 100 times better than your review which tells us very little…........................

-- mike...............

View doordude's profile

doordude

1085 posts in 1983 days

#5 posted 11-09-2013 05:30 AM

thanks rad457. for the heads up on Gilmer’s. i’ll check out their site!

#6 posted 11-09-2013 06:54 AM

Sorry redryder for my poor review, thought company name and location would be enough information if anyone was interested in this type of wood.
darthford care to share some of your sources? Only been interested in solid hardwoods for the last year, supply not that great up here in the great white north.
Andre from Alberta.

View Natalie 's profile

Natalie

#7 posted 11-10-2013 04:09 PM

darthford care to share some of your sources?

-- Natalie - My mind is like a bad neighborhood, I don't like to go there alone.

View darthford's profile

darthford

#8 posted 11-11-2013 09:54 PM

We have a number of other local suppliers, Hardwood Industries, Crosscut Hardwoods, Emerson Hardwood Company. My source for AAAA figured maple well I don’t share that one lol

View DanielP's profile

DanielP

#9 posted 11-26-2013 07:07 PM

Or sometimes the local Home Depot.

3/4×5 1/2×8 ft (actual size) 26.00 dollars..straight, no blemishes, consistently highly figured both sides.

DanP

-- Dan

View lj61673's profile

lj61673

#10 posted 11-28-2013 01:00 PM

Nice score Dan.
I’ve been using Lowes and Home Depot as a source for figured Maple for years.

Also, I’d take a board like that to the manager and ask for a discount because, well, it’s obviously “damaged”.

Works every time.

#11 posted 11-28-2013 05:05 PM

Nice board, $26.00, I pay more for a poplar board up here, Lowes does have some okay Wood, Home Depot not so much. Have a store called Windsor Plywood which gets some nice stuff but very pricey. My go too for selection
and price is P. J.s Hardwood, real nice Maple at $4.50 a bd/ft. and 8/4 to boot. I would attach a link but not sure how to do that!

View DanielP's profile

DanielP

#12 posted 11-28-2013 08:23 PM

Thanks LJ616… funny it was the very last board. People had gone through all the lumber but rejecting that particular board.

Rad, next time you”re down this way you might check out Goby Walnut..just down the street from Gilmer. They also carry a large selection of Maple as well as a huge inventory of walnut.

DanP

-- Dan

#13 posted 11-29-2013 12:28 AM

Yes I heard Gobys was good, rest of the class went over, but I had other commitments, have been looking over there website but not the same as actually seeing the wood in person. Might be back in February ? Next time I’m at Lowes might try that Discount angle! Some of the poplar boards had some dark green stains!

View WoodMarkCreations's profile

WoodMarkCreations

#14 posted 12-27-2013 01:22 AM

I have purchased from them off the internet and been pleased with my purchases and their service

View Damien133's profile

Damien133

#15 posted 01-30-2014 07:24 PM

I’ve had nothing but problems with them from the start, with them refusing to ship several different (non protected) woods to australia when i’ve asked about them, after taking days or weeks to reply to my emails, or simply not replying at all.
Just got told that they would not ship any african blackwood here as well, despite having spent months in emails with them trying to make sure there were not going to be any problems getting it here.
(and having taken a second job a few months ago to help pay for it)