Might as well have taken €20 and flushed it down the toilet.

Review by 404 - Not Found posted 162 days ago 1868 views 0 times favorited 16 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Might as well have taken €20 and flushed it down the toilet. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is the last nail in B&D’s coffin where I’m concerned. I saw this set in my local hardware store and thought it would be a handy thing to have in the van – you know, just in case.
I managed to bore three holes before the first drill bit snapped in half. The driver bits are good for about a dozen screws before they round off at the tip. The drill bits that don’t snap are very poor quality – it’s almost as if the tips are ground off centre, they want to wander and vibrate, the bit holder came apart too – the hex shaft just dropped out. I didn’t think much could go wrong with a little drill/driver accessory set like this. I’ll know better next time.

View 404 - Not Found's profile

404 - Not Found

View Moron's profile

Moron

nice lookn case.

-- "Good artists borrow, great artists steal”…..Picasso

View Gene Howe's profile

Gene Howe

4785 posts in 1927 days

B&D products have been on my definitely do not buy list for many years. Sorry about your costly experience.

View chrisstef's profile

chrisstef

FWIW Renners, ive had this kit for about 5 years now and its been worth every penny. I have snapped a few of the really small bits but at that size they give you multiples.

-- "there aren’t many hand tools as awe-inspiring as the #8 jointer. I mean, it just reeks of cast iron heft and hubris" - Smitty

View knothead's profile

knothead

Black and Decker products are best found in a woman’s junk drawer because they will last forever so long as you NEVER try to use them

B & D
Skill
Ryobi
ANY big box brand tool

Not always but usually junk. But usually by the time you buy them and then replace them you could have bought a quality tool the first time around. We all learn this lesson sooner or later. Sorry for your experience.

-- So Much Wood - So Little Time! --

View MarkTheFiddler's profile

MarkTheFiddler

Thanks for the Review. I’m not surprised though. Someone made the point – B&D is not for people who will use the tools every day.

Second Comment about big box brand. Kobalt Driver bits tend to snap on the gold contractor screws. The Gold finish quickchange drill bits are pretty sturdy. Example – I use the 1/8 it to predrill through concrete, metal and woods. I predrilled about 1000 holes in the past month and finally broke one when I predrilled at an angle. Kobalt makes my quick change bits of choice for predrilling.

-- Thanks for all the lessons!

View ColonelTravis's profile

ColonelTravis

Yeah, that stinks. I’ve been there. Unless they change for the better, I’ll never buy B&D anything ever again.

View TDog's profile

TDog

I bought the same set two or three years ago. It stinks. I only have one small bit that has not broke and a couple of the big ones. Im going with Dewalt next time

-- "So many projects...so little time..." Psalm 23

View jim C's profile

jim C

I have many posts about the crap B&D produces.
I quit buying ANYTHING they make 10 years ago.

View 404 - Not Found's profile

404 - Not Found

What surprises me most, and the reason for posting this review, is just how poor the quality is. I understand a little of business. I doubt very much that this is made in a Black & Decker facility, probably x thousand of units for x amount of dollars in some province of China. But what happened to quality control? It seems cynical to me that a company such as B&D – a multi national, should allow this crap onto the market.

View jim C's profile

jim C

right on renners. It doesn’t take any more time, with todays automated equipment to produce a quality product.
Proper materials, i.e., cheap carbon steel vs. high speed steel costs penny’s more per piece, yet they continue to produce crap in order to be the “cheapest” on the shelf and in the store.
In many cases the human mindset can’t pull the trigger for a better product at a negligible higher price when the cheaper price tag they saw keeps haunting their mind and pocketbook. Then they wonder why they are frustrated with the outcome.

View GOOD LUCK TO ALL's profile

GOOD LUCK TO ALL

As long as people keep buying the crap the crap will always be there.

Nothing to do with the quality control Renners, I think purchasing agent don’t even consider that. They look at the bottom line and as long as their selling the crap, they will keep buying the crap. JMO

View Heavy's profile

Heavy

That is why I buy everything from Wurth. Their products are more expensive than others but they outlast everyone. I especially love the Zebra series of drills. Also their driver bits are so good that mine are still almost as new even after 2 years and I use them on daily basis and a lot.

As for the B&D, I said that I will never ever buy anything from them. Even Einhell is Makita when compared to them.

109215 posts in 2076 days

I agree with you, even though it’s a low end product it should last longer than that.

View carver1942's profile

carver1942

I have had nothing but bad luck with B&D power tools. If it’s a tool you won’t use often they may be alright as they don’t cost as much as top end tools. For me, I’d rather put the money into a tool that will last. In the case of the original poster, I think the tools should have lasted longer than they did. If I were him I would get an email off to B&D, they may reimburse the cost of the tools.
Ed

View realcowtown_eric's profile

realcowtown_eric

I betcha wall-mark drill bits would be better.

Trubble with buying any cheap consumable is that your stock of drill bits gets polluted. Some drill bits might be high quality. sharp and reliable, but the next one you pick out might be some offshore or domestic crap. I find the pollution more frustrating that knowing that that xyz set is crap!

At least the drill bit snapped. you really know you bin taken when they bend!!

Empathy from me buddy!