Black & Decker RTX

Review by soapmaker posted 11-03-2013 01:30 AM 2468 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Black & Decker RTX No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have a couple of the more well known rotary tools but they always seemed underpowered, especially when you put router style cutters in them. I had read when these first came out about them having much more torque for that type of work. I think these are one of the best things this company has made in years. I have one that I’ve been using for four years or so, its held up well enough that I have a couple backups. I’ve run router cutters in carving setups and you can really hog off the wood with this tool. I recommend it to anyone who asks about a rotary tool by its more well known name. It takes all of the dremel brand accessories that I’ve tried on it, router base, flex shaft, collets. Its labeled a three speed but it actually has steps in between the low, med, high. To make no mention of the price difference, its not often I get to spend less for more. Thats my opinion, take as needed for pain.

View soapmaker's profile

soapmaker

View 489tad's profile

489tad

#1 posted 11-03-2013 12:29 PM

I agree.

-- Dan, Naperville IL, I.G.N.

View exit116's profile

exit116

#2 posted 11-04-2013 01:54 PM

got a Dremel years ago, thinking it would help me with carving but it lacked in every-way so when I was given one from Black and Decker I didn’t think too much of it but boy was I wrong. got a flex shaft also and it really is like drawing with a crayon. mine is an older model, don’t know if that helps or not.

-- Money: if you do not have fun earning it, have fun spending it, I do not enjoy spending it so I have fun earning it.

View theoldfart's profile

theoldfart

#3 posted 11-05-2013 11:36 PM

I’ve had this one for several years and it has been perfect. I have the flex shaft as well as router and grout attachments. Never had any problems.

-- "Aged flatus, I heard that some one has already blown out your mortise." THE Surgeon ……………………………………. Kevin

View Makarov's profile

Makarov

#4 posted 11-06-2013 04:10 AM

Love mine have had it for years

-- "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult." Georgy Shragin Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

5387 posts in 1978 days

#5 posted 11-06-2013 03:35 PM

I have had mine now I guess for 4 or 5 years. The multispeed model. I honestly abuse it for doing light duty metal grinding / trimming work, and some shaping work on wood. I would have burned up at least 3 of the more recognized name brand rotary tools in that time frame doing the work I put this through…

Never really have it much thought of using at a micro router though. Might have to get the attachments and try that…

I do agree, most of the B&D tools I have picked up have been huge disappointments, but this, this thing is made the way B&D USED to make tools…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View ferstler's profile

ferstler

#6 posted 11-08-2013 01:50 AM

I have both the Dremel and the B&D, and both are nice. The B&D can handle all the Dremel accessories (and I have a lot of them) and has almost as much power. (The amperage ratings slightly favor the Dremel, as I recall.) It has been a while since I purchased mine, but I think I paid about $25, which is considerably less than what I paid for a Dremel package – which admittedly came with more accessories than the B&D. One thing the Dremel does have going for it (at least my particular Dremel) is the ability to fairly easily change out the brushes. No such easy access is possible with the B&D. However, the brush covers for the Dremel are flimsy and I have to keep a thick rubber band wrapped around the body to hold the covers solidly in place. Of course, the B&D brushes will probably last a long time, anyway, so the lack of access is no big deal.

I also own a very old Sears version that will take few Dremel accessories, but it still comes in handy for some basic projects.

A photo of all three is attached, and you can see the rubber band around the Dremel.

Howard Ferstler

View Stephenw's profile

Stephenw

#7 posted 11-09-2013 02:55 PM

I have this Black & Decker tool at home and a Dremel 3000 at the office.

The Black & Decker has more power at 2 amps versus the Dremel 3000 at 1.2 amps.

I’ve had it for a couple of years now. It sees occasional use, but has been great so far.

This tool is made in China, while the Dremel is now made in Mexico.

-- http://www.garagebulletin.com/

View bluplanet's profile

bluplanet

#8 posted 06-20-2014 08:39 AM

All the while I was burning throuh the consecutive life-spans of three Dremel rotary tools, the most recent of which had a digital read-out and controlled speed, I decided the quality of bearings they were using was declining.

At the same time, I was of the general oninion that B&D quality had been compromized a long time ago. But when the digital Dremel got fried, I picked up a B&D rotary tool at a yard sale and was very pleased.

The B&D bearings seem to be higher precision than what Dremel is currently using. There seems to be much less runout and bearing noise.

Today, I’ve got two B&D rotary tools and my first two Dremels. One of the Dremels constantly has a flex shaft attached and the other is always connected to a right angle gear box. In both of the latter cases, the attachments nullify the problems with the Dremel’s worn bearings.