Shop Dog Approved Mats

Review by ChunkyC posted 11-02-2013 08:45 PM 2451 views 3 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Shop Dog Approved Mats Shop Dog Approved Mats Shop Dog Approved Mats Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve been using anti fatigue mats and even carpet remnants in the shop for a long time. I have a couple different styles and both are better than standing on concrete but still not great. I’ve had / used the rubber mats in the garage / barn for a long time but I finally moved one into the shop and bought 2 more today.

They are 6’ x 4’ x 3/4” thick solid rubber mat stamped Made in Canada. I would say, not knowing for absolute certainty, that they are made from recycled tires. My local farm store carries them and they are marketed as Horse Stall Mats and are about $40 USD each. That comes to $1.67 / ft^2. Not to bad for floor covering. You can find them online, at a premium price, listed as Rubber Stall Mats.

They are HEAVY and a real pain to move around. The combination of their weight and their flexibility is like trying to load dead weight in the trunk of your car. So to help drag them around, see picture 2, I attach a couple of clamps to one end and use those to get a better grip on the mat. If you have someone that you can call to lend a hand I would strongly suggest getting 1 or 2 people to lend a hand.

In picture 3 I tried to juxtapose it with one of the commonly available interlocking style mats. You can see that the Horse Stall Mats are much thicker. They are wonderful for reducing leg and foot fatigue!

• Edit: I just wanted to add a couple more things. 1) Because they are so thick, it can be difficult to roll portable tools up onto them. They aren’t very friendly with casters. 2) They vacuum GREAT! I seldom use a broom in my shop. I mostly use my dust collector or shop vac for cleaning up. The mats are so heavy that the suction from the vac doesn’t pull it up off of the floor like the lighter weight ant-fatigue mats do.

And they are Shop Dog Approved.

Did I mention that they are heavy? If you’re looking for something to stand on in the shop, you might consider Horse Stall Mats.

-- Chunk's Workshop pictures: http://spadfest.rcspads.com/thumbnails.php?album=135

View Roger's profile

#1 posted 11-02-2013 09:47 PM

I use these for a number of things. They are heavy duty.

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View gfadvm's profile

gfadvm

#2 posted 11-03-2013 12:51 AM

What a great looking dog!!!

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

View CFrye's profile

CFrye

#3 posted 11-04-2013 03:30 AM

I was just looking at these last week in the local farm/home store and wondered about putting them in the shop! Now I know. Thanks for sharing Chunk.

-- God bless, Candy

View HarveyM's profile

HarveyM

#4 posted 11-04-2013 08:01 PM

We’ve used these under our washer drier on the main floor to reduce vibrations. I’ve saved a section for in front of my workbench. Guess I need the dog next!

View Eddie_T's profile

Eddie_T

#5 posted 11-05-2013 11:42 PM

TSC has them for $39.98, advertised weight 100 lbs.

View Sandra's profile

Sandra

#6 posted 11-06-2013 01:08 AM

Great idea, thanks.

-- No, I don't want to buy the pink hammer.

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

#7 posted 11-06-2013 12:56 PM

Nice review..and a great looking pooch!

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

View Michael Wilson's profile

Michael Wilson

#8 posted 11-06-2013 02:46 PM

The number of hours I’ve spent in the shop in the last 4-5 days has me seriously looking at these. I didn’t think my knees were QUITE this far gone.

View OggieOglethorpe's profile

OggieOglethorpe

#9 posted 11-09-2013 10:06 PM

I use these, too… Not only are they nice to knees, they’re also nice to dropped tools. But man, are they heavy to move… At least you only have to move them once…

Far better than cheapie mats, easy to clean, and heavy stuff rolls easily on them. You can cut them to custom sizes and shapes rather easily with a jigsaw.

I got mine for $10/ea during a gym liquidation. The gym used them under cardio and weight machines.

#10 posted 11-10-2013 11:54 PM

$10 each. Man your the dog! I just spent the day standing on the floor sharpening all of my edged tools and I can’t even tell that I was even in the shop. I now all of my tools sharpened and no leg fatigue to speak of!

I’m going to have to get more. I currently have them in front of my most used tools. I find that I’m continually tripping over them because they are so thick. I’ve tried laying other mats over the edges to help with the tripping, but it’s working. :(

There’s never a perfect solution is there?

#11 posted 11-15-2013 07:18 PM

Added a couple more comments about the mats today. I’m really like these mats more and more. I just may get enough to cover the entire floor.

c