Better when attached to the shopVac then a 5 gallon bucket

Review by Bill1974 posted 302 days ago 3303 views 1 time favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Better when attached to the shopVac then a 5 gallon bucket Better when attached to the shopVac then a 5 gallon bucket No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have had this not for a few month, and it is much nicer to empty this then the shop vac. I am using a Ridgid 6.5hp shop vac with this. It work well, but not as well as I thought it would. Sealing the air leaks in the container seem to help but there was nothing in the included instruction that said this.

I got this in the kit form that came with a could of 5 gallon buckets, a short section of hose to connect it the shopvac (its a really nice quality), and the hardware to attach it to a shop vac and to the five gallon bucket.

The 5 gallon bucket tips pretty easily, it not weighted down. So I had a shopVac that died so I attached it to the shop vac body and its not tippy any more and it easy to drag around and holds a lot more.

I have learned that this really only works well with dry material, wet or damp or really heavy and it does work so well. the wet/damp/heavy material sits on a plat inside the cyclone and end up getting sucked into the shop vac. I was emptying the sand (wet/damp) from my pool filter to do some maintenance and if there wasn’t enough air flow or the sand was damp or wet it ended up getting sucked into the shop vac. I know this is outside the intended use of this, justy wanted to share.

The construction of the cyclone is good not great, I think they could have molded it all as one part and maybe made it a little more rugged. Being clear is cool and nice to see the dust go through it but I think other none clear material would have made it tougher. On the 5 gallon bucket I worried a little that it is tipped over and hit the concrete floor it could have broke or chipped, because the plastic is of a brittle type.

I have not really tested how well it separates the dust, but plan on making some saw dust and chips see how well it does. And see what I can do to make it work the best it can.

I have noticed that it did reduce the airflow from the Ridgid shop vac by noticeable amount, not enough to really make a huge difference, but you can head a change in the sound of the shop vac when connected and not connect. I am sure if I used am amp clamp on the shop vac I would see a rise in the current it’s using when connecting it to the cyclone.

To rework the shopvac, I used a cordless Ridgid JobMax and the round and straight blades to cut of all the plastic that was in the way of making a nice flat surface to fit a piece of 1/4” thick polycarbonate on. Made a paper template 1st, then traces it onto the polycarbonate. Uses the straight blade on the Jobmax to cut out the profile. Worked better than I thought it would, just need to make a few passes and let the poly cool a little between cuts, otherwise it gets soft and doesn’t cut to well. But this method worked pretty good for cutting curves in polycarbonate.

View Bill1974's profile

Bill1974

View mbs's profile

mbs

Interesting setup with the old shopvac. I have the older style clearview mini that i purchased about 8 years ago. I’ve never hooked it up bu I plan to in the next week or so.

A fellow LJ, Todd Clipinger, uses two 5 gal buckets for his dust deputy. He puts an inch or two of nails or sand in the bottom of one bucket and sets the other bucket in it to keep it from tipping.

-- Sorry the reply is so long. I didn't have time to write a short reply.

View Bill1974's profile

Bill1974

I think they give you two buckets because if only one is used there is a good chance of collapsing if the inlet gets blocked. Especially if you have a more powerful shop vac. Weight in the lower bucket is a good idea. Being able to drag it around now, priceless.

Another choice to keep in mind thank you

-- Norman