Review by Blackie_ posted 268 days ago 4861 views 2 times favorited 37 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A nice machine to have in the shop, Ridgid EB4424 Oscillating Edge Belt / Spindle Sander No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Though there are other positive review results on this sander, I thought I’d give my thoughts.

My spindle sanding adventure, I first started off with a Rockwell Spindle Sander Shop Series RK9011 in which was a failure, I posted a review on it here,, once it failed I purchased the Jet Model 708404 thinking I was getting a 6” sander only to get it home and find out it’s actually a 4”, you only get 4.5” above the table though the drums are 6” didn’t really make since to me luckily woodcraft took it back with a full refund, I then stopped at HD and purchased this model the Ridgid EB4424, it’s been a good 6 + months now since I’ve had this unit and so far it’s been great, I had to make modifications to the hand tightening knob to fit my use and needs, I sometimes have to sand parts that are longer then 4.5” and the finger knob was to wide to allow for parts to fit so I took a grinder and ground it down flush with the smallest drum in the kit to allow for this, only problem with this was that now I am unable to get a nice grip to tighten down tight the larger drums so I improvised by using a pair of adjustable pliers. All-in-all I’m happy with it, a nice addition to the shop.

-- Randy - If I'm not on LJ's then I'm making Saw Dust. Please feel free to visit my store location at http://www.facebook.com/randy.blackstock.custom.wood.designs

View Woodwrecker's profile

Woodwrecker

I have that sander as well, and although it works nicely and was a good value for the price, I have found that I don’t use it as often as I thought I would.
Before I bought a spindle sander, I found other ways to achieve the same results and return to them more often.
For what it’s worth, www.industrialabrasives.com has great replacement sleeves at good prices.

-- Having fun...Eric

I bougth one of this used for $100.00 many years ago.
I “love” it.
It certainly is the most used tool in my shop

View Don W's profile

Don W

i’ve had the same one for several years. It gets a lot of use. I would buy another.

-- Master hand plane hoarder. - http://timetestedtools.com

View Howie's profile

Howie

I’ve had this unit for about 5 years and if it breaks I’ll buy another. definitley 5 stars from me.

-- Life is good.

View newTim's profile

newTim

Blackie… thanks for the review. I’ve been thinking about getting one of these, but I have a question. I have a Delta spindle sander and changing the sleeves is a pain in the ass. There is no locking mechanism so I have to jam a screw driver into the throat so I can break the nut free. I think you are supposed to be able to do this by gripping the sleeve/drum, but I’ve never been able to do it. Tightening is also a problem for the same reason. If the nut doesn’t compress the rubber drum the sleeve will slip up and down as you are sanding. Poor design IMO, but it is what it is.

So my question is how hard is it to change sleeves? Does it have a locking mechanism? How about changing from the drum to the belt?

As an aside, I read some of the product reviews for spindle sanders in Fine Woodworking and elsewhere and this is the type of question I often find the reviewers do not address. Don’t you wish Festool made a spindle sander? :)

-- tim hill www.newcalshop.com

Changing sleeves is quick and easy. I use the belt most often, because the left side is just a large diameter spindle. The belt feature allows you to do things plain spindle sanders can’t, like chamfer the ends of a tenon precisely. I also prefer the belt for fairing gentle curves, as it is less likely to dig in than a small spindle.

Blackie_

Tim, I’m not quite sure I follow your question about the locking mechanism but I’ll do my best to answer, I have a few sets of drums so I’m always picking through to find which one fits the sleeve the best but all drums fit the spindle shaft which I believe to be 1/2” don’t quote me on that as when I use a 1/2” sleeve it just slides right down over the shaft without a drum, to lock the drums down there is a left handed threaded shaft that a left threaded locking nut screws down onto with proper sized washer between the knob and the drum to compress the drum the knob that comes with the unit has a nice finger turning grip for easy turning but you are only limited to roughly 4.5” that’s why I modified it by grinding the finger grip away narrowing it down.

Swapping the belt with the drum is a breeze a very quick process and the unit has a nice storage area on the back for the belt.

View Jim Jakosh's profile

Jim Jakosh

Randy, that looks like a real handy machine. As for that knob, take it off and put a hex nut in its place and use a wrench on it. That is what I have on my Ryobi spindle sander.
............Jim

I never use the spindle only the belt in five years I might have used the spindle once) but it is very easy to change from on to the the other or the change the sleeve, I do not see why you would need a locking mechanism.

“Don’t you wish Festool made a spindle sander?” NO!
They would not make it any better than Rigid and it would cost at least $1500.00

View Jeff in Huntersville's profile

Jeff in Huntersville

No locking mechanism is needed. The tightening bolt is left hand threaded so it tightens on itself. Sometimes it tightens too much but a pair of pliers solves that.

Blackie_

Jim, that thought had crossed my mind from the git-go but and (I’m not a machinist) it’s left handed threads not right handed, I’d have to find a special bolt and nut store for this I’m thinking? I don’t really know the difference between course and machine threads. Now… that you have me thinking I guess I could take the knob with me to the store but I doubt that any box store is going to have a left handed bolt to try it on that’s why I mentioned a special store.

View CessnaPilotBarry's profile

CessnaPilotBarry

This machine is a steal! I was considering spending a lot more on a Jet or Grizzly spindle sander and a stationary belt sander, ‘till I tried one of these.

The spindle knob works great! I don’t see any need to replace it, if you don’t have the specific clearance issue of the OP. The dust collection is great with a Shop-Vac, too… The vacuum works far better than my big cyclone with this unit.

Last Christmas, I used my unit to flush up splines and sand the sides of a run of 35-40 gift boxes, from 80 grit to 320, no skipped grits, and the belt performed flawlessly, with just a 2 second tracking adjustment after each grit change. I’ve gotten a lot of mileage out of the spindle, too… The price / performance ratio of this machine is out of sight.

There’s a seller on Amazon that sells excellent quality belts and spindles in that fit this tool in bulk, from extra coarse to 320-400.

-- It's all good, if it's wood...

View cutworm's profile

cutworm

1+ Bert. I like my sander.
Thanks for the post. You almost never see any negatives about this sander.
I’ll gloat a little at getting mine for $115. New.
Klingspor has belts and sleeves. I like their sandpaper.

I saw on here where someone made a wooden knob to go over the lefthand screw head making it easier to remove.

-- Steve - "Never Give Up"

View DocSavage45's profile

DocSavage45

Randy,

Thanks for your review! It looked like a winner to me after looking at a number of spindle sanders. I remember your discussion about the problems you were having. After 6 months of continued use looks like you have a winner. what are the total space requirements to use the machine in your shop?

-- Cau Haus Designs, Thomas J. Tieffenbacher

Blackie_

Tom I’ve been looking at projects here on LJ and am going to take on two flip top caddies, one for sanding and the other for planning. it’s no more bigger then the other brands.