Whiteside Oval Edge Bit

Review by laketrout36 posted 10-29-2013 12:31 AM 1759 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Whiteside Oval Edge Bit No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

A new project called for a new router bit. Many members here on LumberJocks hold Whiteside router bits in high regard. This is the second Whiteside router bit I’ve bought this year and am once again completely satisfied with it. I’m currently making a small rustic cabin with log siding as a presentation/display/gift box. The Whiteside oval edge bit # 1476 is a 1/2” shank, 3/4” bead opening and met my requirements. Tonight I put it in the router and fed one board past it. This bit cut the wood like a hot knife through warm butter. I’ve never had a bit cut so well. I must say that prior to this year I’ve only used cheap quality bits from the local lumber store.

The bit came with the cutting head of the bit dipped in a protective coating and then placed in a thick plastic envelope sleeve for it’s packaging. The bit information is even printed on the shaft of the bit. Granted, I’ve only made one cut with this bit so far but it cut so well and allowed very little pressure to push the wood past the bit that I noticed the difference between this and cheaper quality bits right away. If something changes with this bit I will post an update to this review.

Thanks for reading.

View laketrout36's profile

laketrout36

View doubleDD's profile

doubleDD

#1 posted 10-29-2013 03:20 AM

I have quite a few Whiteside bits. I like them.

-- --Dave, Downers Grove, Il. When you run out of ideas, start building your dreams

View Pete_Jud's profile

Pete_Jud

#2 posted 10-29-2013 05:20 AM

At least 80 percent of the router bits in the shop are Whiteside for a reason. They work, and last a long time before they have to be resharpend. I have a local guy that sharpens them great. Best I have found.

-- Life is to short to own an ugly boat.

View HillbillyShooter's profile

HillbillyShooter

#3 posted 10-29-2013 09:06 PM

Most of my bits are Whiteside after starting out with Craftsman and Stanley back in the early 70s. The Whitesides continue to go strong without any regrets. I also have a few Amana, CMT and Freud bits that work well; but, I have to admit I’m partial to the Whiteside one. I’ve picked my router bits up over the years and as I’ve needed them—especially after learning my lesson with a Craftsman set of bits.

15337 posts in 1942 days

#4 posted 10-30-2013 08:18 AM

Great bits, Have a bunch of them…