My bench is screwy...

Review by rhett posted 10-28-2013 01:14 AM 3460 views 1 time favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
My bench is screwy... My bench is screwy... No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is a 24” wooden screw, from Evans Wooden Screw Co. This one is cherry, with a funky vice hub, perfect for using it without a handle. Matt Evans site, has free sketch-up plans and instructions for just about every imaginable configuration of these screws. He also sells Moxon kits and smaller wooden screws.

This particular set-up cost $160, it included the screw, the nut and the collar. A deal, considering each is handmade in his Indiana shop. Only issue I had, was the collar being too large for my benchtops thickness. This is a personal issue, having nothing to do with the actual workmanship of the screw.

Minor gripe but not worthy of downgrading the score… I would like to see some sort of logo/design on the screw. I’ve already had to tell atleast 5 people: No I did not make this screw.

Highly recommended, works great and looks awesome. I’m already planning to get a custom screw made from ash. My plan is to use both screws, in the building of a Roubo goes to Scandanavia bench.

Be Good
Rhett

-- Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes.

View rhett's profile

rhett

View CL810's profile

CL810

#1 posted 10-28-2013 01:41 AM

Very happy to see this review Rhett as I have an order in for a screw and hub right now.

Thanks for posting.

-- "The only limits to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today." - FDR

View Moron's profile

-- "Good artists borrow, great artists steal”…..Picasso

View Moron's profile

Moron

#3 posted 10-28-2013 02:07 AM

its what comes off the bench that matters

-- "Good artists borrow, great artists steal”…..Picasso

View Smitty_Cabinetshop's profile

Smitty_Cabinetshop

#4 posted 10-28-2013 02:11 AM

Sometimes the bench matters, too.

-- Don't anthropomorphize your handplanes. They hate it when you do that. -- OldTools Archive --

View Tugboater78's profile

Tugboater78

#5 posted 10-28-2013 02:56 AM

Thanks for posting!

-- "....put that handsaw to work and make it earn its keep. - summerfi" <==< JuStiN >==>=->

View rhett's profile

rhett

#6 posted 10-28-2013 01:14 PM

Love the end panel detail on that vanity, Moron.

-- Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes.

View Don W's profile (online now)

Don W

#7 posted 10-29-2013 03:51 PM

I like the bench. Happy screwin!

-- Master hand plane hoarder. - http://timetestedtools.net

View CMDEvans's profile

CMDEvans

#8 posted 11-02-2013 03:50 AM

I really like the way that turned out… glad you liked it! I love the plane I got from you at wwia. Been giving it quite a workout the past few days.

Working on a logo design for the screws, but that is likley 6 months down the road.

Measure the apron and send me the dimensions. I’ll send out a smaller garter for you.

Do you have the “dogs” done? I’d like to see a picture of them. I am assuming they are basically a small baton, but would love to see it in action!

-Matthew

-- We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal. . .