My bench is screwy...

Review by rhett posted 304 days ago 2065 views 1 time favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
My bench is screwy... My bench is screwy... No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is a 24” wooden screw, from Evans Wooden Screw Co. This one is cherry, with a funky vice hub, perfect for using it without a handle. Matt Evans site, has free sketch-up plans and instructions for just about every imaginable configuration of these screws. He also sells Moxon kits and smaller wooden screws.

This particular set-up cost $160, it included the screw, the nut and the collar. A deal, considering each is handmade in his Indiana shop. Only issue I had, was the collar being too large for my benchtops thickness. This is a personal issue, having nothing to do with the actual workmanship of the screw.

Minor gripe but not worthy of downgrading the score… I would like to see some sort of logo/design on the screw. I’ve already had to tell atleast 5 people: No I did not make this screw.

Highly recommended, works great and looks awesome. I’m already planning to get a custom screw made from ash. My plan is to use both screws, in the building of a Roubo goes to Scandanavia bench.

Be Good
Rhett

-- http://planeandsimpleblog.wordpress.com/

View rhett's profile

rhett

View CL810's profile

CL810

1967 posts in 1620 days

Very happy to see this review Rhett as I have an order in for a screw and hub right now.

Thanks for posting.

-- "It's amazing how much can go wrong when you think you know what you're doing."

View Moron's profile

Moron

never let the bench
win

-- "Good artists borrow, great artists steal”…..Picasso

View Moron's profile

Moron

its what comes off the bench that matters

-- "Good artists borrow, great artists steal”…..Picasso

View Smitty_Cabinetshop's profile

Smitty_Cabinetshop

Sometimes the bench matters, too.

-- Don't anthropomorphize your handplanes. They hate it when you do that. -- OldTools Archive

View Tugboater78's profile

Tugboater78

Thanks for posting!

-- Justin - the tugboat woodworker - " nothing changed me like the first shnick from a well sharpened, decent hand plane"

View rhett's profile

rhett

Love the end panel detail on that vanity, Moron.

-- http://planeandsimpleblog.wordpress.com/

View Don W's profile

Don W

I like the bench. Happy screwin!

-- Master hand plane hoarder. - http://timetestedtools.com

View CMDEvans's profile

CMDEvans

I really like the way that turned out… glad you liked it! I love the plane I got from you at wwia. Been giving it quite a workout the past few days.

Working on a logo design for the screws, but that is likley 6 months down the road.

Measure the apron and send me the dimensions. I’ll send out a smaller garter for you.

Do you have the “dogs” done? I’d like to see a picture of them. I am assuming they are basically a small baton, but would love to see it in action!

-Matthew