The Drill Saw Test

Review by Sailor posted 277 days ago 1642 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
The Drill Saw Test No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Bought one of these drill saw bits I noticed at Lowe’s. Looked like a great idea to me so I ran home and gave it a shot. Check it out!

-- Dothan, Alabama Check out my woodworking blog! http://woodworkingtrip.blogspot.com/ Also my Youtube Channel's Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/SailingAndSuch

View Sailor's profile

Sailor

View ic3ss's profile

ic3ss

I bought one of these some 12 years ago to use on my drill. I’m mostly disapointed in it’s performance is sideways cutting, for me it just didn’t work very well. Nice idea though. My advice: buy a rotozip.

I can’t believe that they’re still making those useless bits. I bought one back in the ‘70’s and it snapped within 5 minutes of using it. The drill end cut very well , but the saw part is practically useless.

View jap's profile

jap

I wonder if leevalley’s works better… http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=32279&cat=1,180,42240,53317

-- Joel

View garriv777's profile

garriv777

In my experience, tools like these are mostly just gimmicks. Most of the tools that actually work were developed centuryies ago in one form or another ( like planes ) and are still in wide use today. Planes are a testament to how a tool that actually works never seems to die. I’ve heard that the Romans used hand planes, and I can believe it..:) Just my two cents though…...;)

Thanks for the review, I’ll be sure to stay away from this tool…..:)

G-Man

View Dlow's profile

Dlow

I guess I’m the minority here. I’ve used one of these for several years and its paid for itself 10 fold. Mostly I will use it to enlarge a hole in a cabinet that might be slightly too small or needs some adjustment to line up. They have their place and aren’t meant to plow through 3/4” oak, but they serve a purpose and are worth the price for me.

View Christophret's profile

Christophret

Junk. Butcher tool.
I came up with that assumption 20 some years ago and never looked back.

In time you will do the same.

-- I cut it twice and it's still too short!

View Jimbo817's profile

Jimbo817

I remember my dad having one of these back in the 60s. In those days all the drills were quarter-inch and corded. He tried using it and threw it aside saying it was junk. Of course back then, I knew more than my father did, and I had to try it. My opinion, it’s junk. I can’t believe they’re still making these things. I originally thought they were for cutting holes in plasterboard like for outlets, but the little “spurs” would clog up with plaster rendering it useless. If you’re trying to enlarge a hole it’s faster to run to the hardware store and buy a new bit rather than waste time with this thing

-- Measure twice and cut once, after you sharpen your pencil!